Opinion on this Walden 8OT

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gwelker62

Opinion on this Walden 8OT

Post by gwelker62 »

Came across this 8OT on feebay with only 3 minutes left. Didn't have time to digest the pictures very good or ask the seller questions, but decided to throw down a relatively cheap max bid not thinking I'd really win it. It came with box and papers, but I already assume they weren't right because the box uses the Schrade 'Cutlery' logo. Got it in and two things seem wrong about it. One, the blades look and feel like they might have been touched up with a belt sander. The other thing is the tang stamp is real shallow like it might have had a couple or three thousandths taken off, but it doesn't appear to have any grind marks. I guess it's not that rare for the die to not strike a deep enough mark. Compared the blade thickness with the Walden 8OTs I have and they are within a .001". Other than the little nuances that 8OTs have over the years, it appears to be right.

Thoughts? Especially on the tang stamp?
Attachments
IMAG0512.jpg
IMAG0518.jpg
IMAG0519.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Opinion on this Walden 8OT

Post by orvet »

Sometimes there were light strikes on the stamp. I seem to see more of it on the Schrade Waldens than the later knives.

When I order pin stock that is .080" pin stock, it can vary two or three thousandths between batches.
One thousands of an inch difference is pretty much dead equal in my book, well within the specs of variations between batches of steel. ::shrug::

Whoever was polishing the knife might have made a couple extra passes on the wheel.
That's enough to account for that one thousand of an inch.
Slip joints are often very precision tools, but they require nowhere near the accuracy of rockets! :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Looks okay to me George. Now if you could just turn that Delrin into bone you would be in business. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Thanks for that info Orvet. Don't have a lot of 8OTs to compare it to...yet :) , but it does appear a genuine Schrade from what I can tell. Just from the 4 OTs I have now, there are a lot of neat little differences in them.
Attachments
IMAG0520.jpg
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Looks okay to me George. Now if you could just turn that Delrin into bone you would be in business. :D
yeah... I've been salivating to get my hands on a boney 8OT!

::nod::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Since you have two other minty ones I vote it goes in your pocket! I've been trying to find a minty sw 8ot match pull on the (relatively) cheap for a bone rehandle but it looks like you've been getting them, good on ya ::tu::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

This is not a Walden, but it is a bone 8OT.
Rehandled in Crimson bone by Elvis.
It's BEAUTIFUL!
Attachments
20150914_201130(2).jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Since you have two other minty ones I vote it goes in your pocket! I've been trying to find a minty sw 8ot match pull on the (relatively) cheap for a bone rehandle but it looks like you've been getting them, good on ya ::tu::
There was one 8OT I let slip away on feebay that would have been perfect for a boney upgrade. It was in fair condition with the usual scratches from use, and the blades were still intact and not eat up by a stone. It had a Co-Op emblem on it as it was a company award knife. It sold for only 31. The hinged box is almost worth that.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I let that one slip too, perfect rehandle user. What I'm really kicking myself over was letting a real, original bone 8ot slip. The blades were nearly full but looked relatively badly pitted, it sold for about $70. I watched it go from 20 to 70 in a minute and I took no action ::facepalm:: It was the next day I thought to myself I paid $85 for a bone 881 with more wear than that 8ot, what a fool I was for letting it go!
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

edge213 wrote:This is not a Walden, but it is a bone 8OT.
Rehandled in Crimson bone by Elvis.
It's BEAUTIFUL!
Very nice re-handle! All of the 8 OTs shown here are nice, but I may be prejudiced.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

It a nice looking Old Timer Stockman. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”