My Herman Williams Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
FatCity67

Re: My Herman Williams Knives

Post by FatCity67 »

kj,

Yeah sorry about that I forgot Levine's subforum is member only. Basically the same info with lots of debate and info about Rogers-Wostenholm.

-Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
truck

Post by truck »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks for bringing up the old BF threads. The second link can only be accessed by a logged in BF member so i cannot read it.
Neat for me to see my own posts from 2007 along with my 'badge of Honor', "Banned", beneath my name. Banned for using the word "bully" in reply to a self serving abusive moderator.

Why is it stated that there were only 2 Camillus knives in this group ?

Quote from Phil Gibbs, BF 2007:
Regarding the IXL Schrade knives, the lock backs were made at Camillus, sent as skeletons to Sheffield where they were hallmarked on the bolsters, the handles were added, & the knives were finished.
I believe it was a set of 5 knives, 2 Camillus, 2 Schrade & 1 Wostenholm.
In my opinion they were well fitted & finished knives."

The lockbacks came in 3 sizes, each with more than one handle type, the "20", "30" & "40". Then there is the Stockman & Canoe of which i thought the Stockman was a Camillus ?
Perhaps "the set" Mr. Gibbs refers to is not the full Schrade-IXL 'set' ?
kj
I'm reviving this thread to ask about a recent acquisition. I have had the redbone stockman from the I*XL set for years. (Shown below.) But I recently got a larger stockman with wooden handles, with a nice display case and papers, that doesn't appear to be referenced anywhere in this thread. (Shown in box below.) Where would this second stockman fit in?
Attachments
IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The IXL "Texas Stock Knife" is part of the 1980-81 Schrade-IXL set. It is an old Wostenholm pattern so i assume it was made in Britain, not in USA by Camillus or Schrade.
kj
truck

Post by truck »

kootenay joe wrote:The IXL "Texas Stock Knife" is part of the 1980-81 Schrade-IXL set. It is an old Wostenholm pattern so i assume it was made in Britain, not in USA by Camillus or Schrade.
kj
Thanks!
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

I *finally* managed to score some of Herman's work for my own collection!

I happen to check out his Ebay profile the other week and lo and behold, a gorgeous sawcut bone 8OT with a full HW polish job. Just tickled pink to be able to add this to my stockman display. He had an 881 up as well with some jigged bone, kinda sad I missed that one.
HW8ot_2.jpg
HW8ot_1.jpg
also, I'm not saying I had a couple shirts made with a high res version of the old Swinden patent drawings on the back, but I might have done just that ::rotflol::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love the whittler, beautiful knives.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

$(KGrHqIOKpMFGUejiKcvBRp7Rypw3g~~60_57.jpg
HW jigged bone 881 mark.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”