"Slenderino"

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JAMESC41001

Re: "Slenderino"

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Mustanger I will look. I know the scaler has stainless stamped on it.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Thanks guys, I purchased this knife on what it could be and I suspect it is a sample. Not sure why the ink would be so faint on a knife that does not appear to be handled much at all. This is the only thing that puzzles me about it. But I can tell you it came from a very reliable dealer with a couple jaw dropping rolls of schrades. Only problem is the prices have a similar effect.
It's an awesome knife that provokes thought and discussion. That makes it better than many collectable Schrade knives, imo. But I love the thought provking "odd ball" and otherwise legitimate un-cataloged Schrades. 292s are super nice collectables, but yours is more unique because of it's curiosities. VERY NICE FIND!!
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Back of the master blade is stamped stainless steel. Very hard to see but the ink says 292.
Jay
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Looking at those pictures, it looks to me like that de-scaler is a double cut saw blade that has had the hook remover cut into the end. I showed your knife to Herman and he came up with the idea the blade may have come from one of the 3 bladed electrician knives that had a saw blade. He supposed that it was a very well made sample or prototype for the 292.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The secondary has saw teeth cut into it. Not fish scaler type blunt & rounded teeth. True for O.P. knife and the one with a fish shield posted by mustanger. So it is not a 'one off'. likely there are others out there.
However is this a "Slenderino" ? I thought this name was coined by C.P. & H.B. for the ~ 3 1/2" slender stock knives, like a Schrade 897, with the turkish clip master blade ?
Perhaps C.P. can let us know.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I'm not trying to hijack your thread James but if you start a thread called slenderinos you just got to have at least one pic of a Slim Premium with the slim and slender Turkish Clip. :D
Here are a few Herman Williams "Slenderinos"
SLENDERINOS-r.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Go ahead and hijack away. As long as more schrade knives like that keep coming! Those are some beauties. A real fine set of knives. Sorry for my loose translation of Hal's loose definition. Here is a unique slenderino. I have included a slenderino blade before grind but after heat treat. Also a SW 285 with a fish scaler. This is the only other fish scaler I have for comparison and the cut pattern is exactly the same. Both these knives were given to me as gifts and I know both people have relatives that worked at the factory. That being said I looked very closely with a loop and see know sign of a through pin. I believe these are swinden key knives but I don't recall dates when that manufacturing process started so I'm not sure. That is a punch blade as the third pull.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Jay that's a fantastic knife! Definitely based on the 293/294 frame. That shield was dropped from the catalog in the mid-sixties. Always thought that shield/rat-tail bolster combo was their finest trapper pattern. Here's a knife that's about as slenderino as Schrade got:

Eric
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co slim trapper 2.jpg
Schrade Cut Co slim trapper 3.jpg
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

That is one fantastic knife ea42, you sure know how to make a guy feel jealous. What's the closed length?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks dweb! That's 4 1/8" closed, blade is about 3 3/8" from the end of the bolster.

Eric
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Here's a special slenderino that I bought out of Irv Trachtenberg's collection. When I sent pic's of it to Herman Williams he told me that it was one out of a set of four knives that he had made for Uncle Henry's birthday.
897uh-1.jpg
top view blades closed
897UH-2.jpg
top view blades open
897UH-3.jpg
bottom view
897UH-4.jpg
inside liner
897UH-5.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Woah now that's amazing!! One of four! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's a shot of the gang (that's Uncle Henry with the bag full of money :D :D :wink: ) :

Eric
Attachments
Schrade HBB's Bday 1978 copy.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eric, no offense at all, but the picture looks like FBI surveillance of guys exiting meeting of Mafia family with Uncle Henry as the Don.
kj
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Looks like just a bunch of Good Fellas to me ::paranoid::

Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I'm a little slow sometimes and didn't want to say anything, but I thought it looked like a bunch of "business men" going into a strip joint
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great knife Eric. Dweeb that is special
ea42

Post by ea42 »

kootenay joe wrote:Eric, no offense at all, but the picture looks like FBI surveillance of guys exiting meeting of Mafia family with Uncle Henry as the Don.
kj
Ha! Doesn't it? That's five seconds before they all pulled tommy guns out from under their overcoats and blew the camera guy away. :D :D

Thanks Jay, doesn't compare to that beauty of yours, I have a feeling I know where you got it too, most impressive :wink:

Eric
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Eric I like the pinned shield. That's cool. What year was it made or offered? That is a lot of jigged bone to swing a hammer at Lol.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Slender, slim, lanky, svelte, sylph-like, willowy, skinny, trim, angular, scrawny...
lanky001 (Medium).jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

kootenay joe wrote:Eric, no offense at all, but the picture looks like FBI surveillance of guys exiting meeting of Mafia family with Uncle Henry as the Don.
kj
I like the sign above the door.
Roger
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

tongueriver wrote:Slender, slim, lanky, svelte, sylph-like, willowy, skinny, trim, angular, scrawny...
lanky001 (Medium).jpg
Finally, some clarification. I think
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Not sure if this was born a slendinaro or was worn into one. Curved stamp English jack
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

ea42 wrote:Woah now that's amazing!! One of four! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's a shot of the gang (that's Uncle Henry with the bag full of money :D :D :wink: ) :

Eric
I'm wondering if Jimmy Hoffa is underneath that concrete door step 8)
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Bumping an old thread that got a little weird anyway. Hal and I had fun inventing the term 'slenderino' for the Schrade 3 9/16 frame knives. Anyway, today I saw this post on you-know-where to describe a non-catalog knife that is quite amazing to me. I have never seen anything like it. Not the pattern number or the knife itself, which is basically worn down to nothing. Check it out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142314862899?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”