"Slenderino"

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
ea42

Re: "Slenderino"

Post by ea42 »

Thanks dweb! That's 4 1/8" closed, blade is about 3 3/8" from the end of the bolster.

Eric
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Here's a special slenderino that I bought out of Irv Trachtenberg's collection. When I sent pic's of it to Herman Williams he told me that it was one out of a set of four knives that he had made for Uncle Henry's birthday.
897uh-1.jpg
top view blades closed
897UH-2.jpg
top view blades open
897UH-3.jpg
bottom view
897UH-4.jpg
inside liner
897UH-5.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Woah now that's amazing!! One of four! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's a shot of the gang (that's Uncle Henry with the bag full of money :D :D :wink: ) :

Eric
Attachments
Schrade HBB's Bday 1978 copy.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eric, no offense at all, but the picture looks like FBI surveillance of guys exiting meeting of Mafia family with Uncle Henry as the Don.
kj
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Looks like just a bunch of Good Fellas to me ::paranoid::

Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I'm a little slow sometimes and didn't want to say anything, but I thought it looked like a bunch of "business men" going into a strip joint
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great knife Eric. Dweeb that is special
ea42

Post by ea42 »

kootenay joe wrote:Eric, no offense at all, but the picture looks like FBI surveillance of guys exiting meeting of Mafia family with Uncle Henry as the Don.
kj
Ha! Doesn't it? That's five seconds before they all pulled tommy guns out from under their overcoats and blew the camera guy away. :D :D

Thanks Jay, doesn't compare to that beauty of yours, I have a feeling I know where you got it too, most impressive :wink:

Eric
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Eric I like the pinned shield. That's cool. What year was it made or offered? That is a lot of jigged bone to swing a hammer at Lol.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Slender, slim, lanky, svelte, sylph-like, willowy, skinny, trim, angular, scrawny...
lanky001 (Medium).jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

kootenay joe wrote:Eric, no offense at all, but the picture looks like FBI surveillance of guys exiting meeting of Mafia family with Uncle Henry as the Don.
kj
I like the sign above the door.
Roger
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

tongueriver wrote:Slender, slim, lanky, svelte, sylph-like, willowy, skinny, trim, angular, scrawny...
lanky001 (Medium).jpg
Finally, some clarification. I think
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Not sure if this was born a slendinaro or was worn into one. Curved stamp English jack
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

ea42 wrote:Woah now that's amazing!! One of four! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's a shot of the gang (that's Uncle Henry with the bag full of money :D :D :wink: ) :

Eric
I'm wondering if Jimmy Hoffa is underneath that concrete door step 8)
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Bumping an old thread that got a little weird anyway. Hal and I had fun inventing the term 'slenderino' for the Schrade 3 9/16 frame knives. Anyway, today I saw this post on you-know-where to describe a non-catalog knife that is quite amazing to me. I have never seen anything like it. Not the pattern number or the knife itself, which is basically worn down to nothing. Check it out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142314862899?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Looks like it just got a little weirder.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Here is an odd one for ya. I don't know what the story is on this one. But I like it, engraving plate and all.
Attachments
897UH H897 Red Bone.JPG
897UH H897 Red Bone (2).JPG
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That is a great knife!! Like to know the story also. Always liked the serrated blades.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is "H897" a USA Schrade made knife (before 2004) ? Or, Camillus made after 2004 Schrade closure ? Or ??
kj
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Heritage blades with H prefix numbers show up on a wide range of Schrade knives. 1997 maroon handled Heritage edition, orange 194OTO and others. It's not uncommon. Rule of thumb, if it has Schrade + on the tang stamp, it's a real Schrade.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mustanger wrote:Heritage blades with H prefix numbers show up on a wide range of Schrade knives. 1997 maroon handled Heritage edition, orange 194OTO and others. It's not uncommon. Rule of thumb, if it has Schrade + on the tang stamp, it's a real Schrade.
Very true. And if it has SCHRADE WALDEN on the tang it could be ANYTHING. You better know what you are doing. I got burned on some Bear & Sons back in 08' before I knew, then, embarrassingly again a couple years ago when I bought a Chinese PH-1. I am marginally ashamed to say that the PH-1 gets everyday use in the kitchen. I also have or have had some Camilli branded as Schrades but I think that is fine.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

When I first started collecting in 2006 I got burned on a "Schrade Walden" in a plastic tube. As soon as I got it in the mail, I knew I got burned, told the seller about the error in his description of the knife, sent it back and got a refund. I don't think he knew the difference. Then, in my ignorance, I bought a pretty bone handled knife, in a nostalgic box, of a pattern that Schrade never made and had to eat it on that one. I've been careful ever since. Now I only have to take a second look every once in a while to tell if it's a Taylor or not. They even copy horticulture and other surprising, more obscure old Schrades. I was a little stunned the other day when I was scrolling thru completed listings on ebay at how many people had payed big bucks for obvious Taylor copies. Really big bucks! As much or more than one would pay for a genuine Schrade Walden.

I outbid another AAPK member for that red bone H897 two or three years ago. It is so odd for a Schrade that it does deserve a discriminating second look. But to my knowledge, Schrade + is the one trademark that Taylor did not get their hands on.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Here's a pair of peachseed 895's. One for the collection, one to tote.
Attachments
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Please forgive the new guy for pushing this thread back to the top.

Do any of you know the actual blade length for the Turkish clip? I've been hankering for an 825/897UH/98OT/Craftsman 95068. I'm just curious of the blade dimensions. I haven't been able to find any specs online, except for the modern foreign-manufactured copy by Taylor, for which I've found 2-3/4 inches.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

UnderDawgAl wrote:Please forgive the new guy for pushing this thread back to the top.

Do any of you know the actual blade length for the Turkish clip? I've been hankering for an 825/897UH/98OT/Craftsman 95068. I'm just curious of the blade dimensions. I haven't been able to find any specs online, except for the modern foreign-manufactured copy by Taylor, for which I've found 2-3/4 inches.
I just happen to have a pre 2004 897UH in my pocket right now. :wink: And from tip to bolster is dead on 2 3/4".

edit: well, I put the dial calipers on it and it's more like 2.682". :)

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”