Schrade Fisherman

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Mustanger

Re: Schrade Fisherman

Post by Mustanger »

Awesome! Thank you for doing the heavy lifting on this subject and so much more, Dale. The closeness to Ulster and transition period in which these knives and others were made and short run production explains why there is so much confusion about them. And the carryover usage of parts that were already produced with a SW tang stamp and other factors can cause obsessive behavior and sleep depravation for the collector. ::cb::

For me, this discussion has finally laid to rest the positive identification of the #209 and production dates. BUT, I'm still curious about various overlapping/shared model numbers by Ulster and Schrade. I always wonder, did Schrade adopt a particular number from Ulster or vice-versa. The #208 for instance. They both shared that number on the 5" fish knife. Opps! Hope I didn't just post something to cause you more sleep loss! :mrgreen:
Just one of the many things that I muse and speculate about concerning Schrade and Ulster knives.
Thanks so much for your help, patience and all you do for the cause!
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Jhale wrote:My mother gave my father this knife in 1972. My dad gave it to me when I was 16 in 1986. I still have it. Has never been used. Check it out.
I was thinking about this stuff again today and wondering, (if you're still engaged in this thread), does your mother remember if your knife was packaged as a Schrade or Schrade Walden knife at the time of purchase? Or how did you come to believe it is a Schrade? I got to wondering if Schrade marketed some Ulster knives as Schrade knives after they merged together. The lack of a tang stamp has always been a mystery to me, but seems somewhat common on the Ulster fish knives. Just wondering if your mother remembers. Sometimes I think my mind wanders too much. :?
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

I've been eyeballing that one on feebay. A Schrade Cut Co version. But they are asking to much IMO @ 175.
Attachments
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

gwelker62 wrote:I've been eyeballing that one on feebay. A Schrade Cut Co version. But they are asking to much IMO @ 175.
It's age, (pre-1946), and good condition make it a more valuable collectable than some other knives. I'd like to have it, but not that much. It IS ebay, though. I've seen post bankruptcy spare parts knives sell for over $200. Then the same spare parts knife sell for 30 bucks at other times. I'm the guy who generally waits for a shot at a $200 knife for $30. I'm sure someone thinks the knife is worth that much to them since it's a nicer collectable than the newer Schrade Walden Fisherman's Special that flirts with $200 often and sometimes takes her to the prom, ($225). ::shrug::

BTW, I found that knife listed in the 1938 and 1940 catalogs as, "No. SSD2084PO" with Onyx Celluloid scales.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

gwelker62 wrote:I've been eyeballing that one on feebay. A Schrade Cut Co version. But they are asking to much IMO @ 175.
You’re absolutely correct in my opinion! ::tu::
While the stainless steel blades and springs are not affected by the off gassing of the celluloid, the brass liners are affected.

If you notice the shrinkage near the front bolster that tells me the celluloid is not stable.
If you notice the dark stain showing through by the rear bolster and rear handle pin that is an indicator to me that the deterioration of the celluloid is probably affecting the liner. To see the same black mark around the rocker pin at the bottom edge of the knife really scares me away from this knife.

I have taken apart too many knives with that dark coloration at the rocker pin only to find that the celluloid had so weakened the brass liner that the stress on the pin from the back spring had caused the liner to crack.

The only thing I would be interested in this knife for is for parts. Without examining the knife I wouldn’t pay over $25 for it simply because I feel there is too great a chance that the liners are so badly damaged they will need to be replaced.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

orvet wrote:I spent half an hour last night looking through the old Schrade catalogs to see if I could find any listing for a Schrade “Fisherman’s Pride”. I knew Ulster made a Fisherman’s Pride, but the only yellow handled Schrade I could find prior to 1972 was the 208, “Fisherman’s Pal,” which was discontinued in 1963.
I found a Schrade Walden "Fisherman's Pride". I was going to buy it but then I found a nicer "Fisherman's Special" that wasn't crazy expensive. I also found the same knife with a blade etch that says, "CRAFTSMAN 9461 / CUSTOM MADE". I haven't come across a Fisherman's Pal yet. The end date that you came up with for it may just be when they changed the blade etch? It appears to have changed twice, not counting Craftsman of coarse.
Attachments
208 SW Fisherman's Pride (2).jpg
208 SW Craftsman .jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I found this 1958 John Plain Catalog Co. page with a Schrade Walden Fisherman's Pal on it.
Attachments
208 SW Fisherman's Pal.jpg
208 SW Fisherman's Pal (2).jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Dale has one of those with the nasties that he is sprucing up for me. Just like yours with the ick.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”