More elusive 8OT's

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Mustanger

Re: More elusive 8OT's

Post by Mustanger »

dweb1897 wrote:Here's a couple SFO 8OT's with jig bone handle. The red one has a triple zero prototype serial #. I believe that this is the first Schrade I've seen that has an etched shield.
I didn't think of it until I took another look at that red bone knife, but it has the same red bone as this knife I have and it looks to have the same shield. Or in my case an engraving plate. Is that etched shield extra thick and protruding from the bone. The one on my knife is. It's just interesting to me to see those similarities since I haven't before.
Attachments
897UH H897 Red Bone (2).JPG
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Mustanger wrote:
dweb1897 wrote:Here's a couple SFO 8OT's with jig bone handle. The red one has a triple zero prototype serial #. I believe that this is the first Schrade I've seen that has an etched shield.
I didn't think of it until I took another look at that red bone knife, but it has the same red bone as this knife I have and it looks to have the same shield. Or in my case an engraving plate. Is that etched shield extra thick and protruding from the bone. The one on my knife is. It's just interesting to me to see those similarities since I haven't before.
I got one with black scales and brass ends and the shield is brass also!.
Keep Near the Cross.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Mustanger wrote:
Mustanger, The shield on mine sets just flush with the jigging. I sure like that one of yours, I've got a soft spot for the turkish clip.
This 823 just showed up in the mail. I think it will probably clean up pretty good.
SW 823 PROPWOOD.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

dweb1897 wrote:
Mustanger, The shield on mine sets just flush with the jigging. I sure like that one of yours, I've got a soft spot for the turkish clip.
This 823 just showed up in the mail. I think it will probably clean up pretty good.SW 823 PROPWOOD.jpg
I actually mis-remembered how that shield sets in the handle of my knife. I do that a lot these days. As you can see in the picture it gives the appearance of riding high because of the rounded edge. I felt silly after posting that. I guess your red stockman didn't sell? I was watching it and wanted to buy it but too many other priority knives came up for sale. I thought your stockman would be a nice companion for my slenderino. I almost bid on the 823 too. Too many nice knives and not enough money. I'm glad you got it. That is a great addition to your slenderino collection. That is the only one I remember seeing for sale. It might be a long, long time before I see another one since they were only cataloged from 1953 to 1958. I hope you post another picture of the 823 when you get done rubbing on it. I wondered how far I would go to clean up those blades if I did buy it. You do some nice work on blades. It looks like you may have started on it already since it looks better in your picture.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks it is amazing how much knowledge we had here! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

As a Farmall nut, that first one is a really neat piece. The term "White Demo" refers to the fact that many of the tractors IH used for demonstration purposes were painted white.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

The search continues ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
TonySal

Post by TonySal »

I have an 8OT, unfortunately post 2004.... ::doh::
But I like it and my 34OT too...
Maybe Ill pick up a US one someday.....
So many knives, too little time...
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

TonySal wrote:I have an 8OT, unfortunately post 2004.... ::doh::
But I like it and my 34OT too...
Maybe Ill pick up a US one someday.....
Search here a the stores and on the bay!.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

And the Search continues! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The knice mailman brought me a 1959/60 yesterday afternoon. I haven't decided whether to carry it or not; I do have another safe queen. This one has some faint pitting streaks; looks like a little water sat inside for a bit a long time ago on just one side. Otherwise, it is clearly UNUSED.
59boner001.jpg
59boner002.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That one is pretty special Cal! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin that is a very special 8OT. It is the best example of an early bone 8OT i have seen. The others did not show the saw cut marks which i think are easily worn off with just a little pocket time.
The red handled knife at top of page does not look like a USA Schrade to me.
kj
thawk

Post by thawk »

Cal just where did you find that elusive 8OT? Nice find. ::tu::
Hal
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nice find
Keep Near the Cross.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Beautiful knife Cal!! I haven't been able to find one in that shape in ten years of searching!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

She is a beauty!! My blade was about 95percent..looked like it sat in a damp basement for years..but semt it to get polished..as I felt it deserved a day at the spa and to be toted as intended. Enjoy your 80T.

KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:The knice mailman brought me a 1959/60 yesterday afternoon. I haven't decided whether to carry it or not; I do have another safe queen. This one has some faint pitting streaks; looks like a little water sat inside for a bit a long time ago on just one side. Otherwise, it is clearly UNUSED.
59boner001.jpg
59boner002.jpg
Now there's a good one.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

I have this one - bought it in Pennsylvania 2-3 years ago.
Attachments
8OT Bone 1.jpg
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

IMG_4250.jpg
IMG_4252.jpg
8OT-GB
- Jason
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Here's an 8OT made for Keen Kutter commemorating the Spirit of St. Louis.
S.W. CUT. K74
Attachments
Keen Kutter, K74
Keen Kutter, K74
Spirit of St. Louis, May-1927, New York to Paris
Spirit of St. Louis, May-1927, New York to Paris
8OT, SWCut. K74 (4).jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Somehow I have it in my head (perhaps wrongly) that Imperial Schrade owned the Keen Kutter trademark at the time that this knife was made. Anybody know? I have one of the Spirit of St. Louis knives also. It is available.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

And the Search continues ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got an Abused one and cleaned it up as a user!
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”