More elusive 8OT's

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KnifeSlinger#81

More elusive 8OT's

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

So what are some of the more rare 8OT's out there? Here's the only two I have, a yellow one and the red bone one, please excuse the less than ideal sellers pics, I'll get some better ones when it arrives. Wasn't there also some blue 8OT's in the later days of schrade? What do you all have?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: More elusive 8OT's

Post by Shearer »

Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

This was my favorite 8OT, greed set in and I sold it. ::teary_eyes:: ::teary_eyes::

Harold
Attachments
8OT_Schrade_Walden_Bone_#3.jpg
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

The Skoal one in Green and the Blue Scaled FFA one made for the Future Farmers of America.
Keep Near the Cross.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Shearer wrote:Here's one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162315720659 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Grant
I see that one didn't sell for $150. Is that an unreasonable price for an original bone handled 8OT.
I don't see enough of them for sale to know ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

If I had $150 at the time I would have bought it. I don't think it's unreasonable, rare as those are. Plus I am of the opinion there are very, very few knives I would rather have than an old bone handle schrade large stockman.
-Paul T.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:If I had $150 at the time I would have bought it. I don't think it's unreasonable, rare as those are. Plus I am of the opinion there are very, very few knives I would rather have than an old bone handle schrade large stockman.
Paul that's what I was thinking. When that one came up I had two or three other pots on the stove getting ready to boil, but in hindsight I wish now that I had jumped on that because you just never see them for sale. Maybe he will relist it.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

So a while back I started compiling a list of every 8OT (and every other stockman built on the same frame, essentially)

The list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The red bone one's are pretty - those were part of a collectors set, only 2400 pieces made. Rarer than that would probably be many (if not all) of the SFO models over the years - The FFA (reasonably common, I think there was a standing order for these) and AMVETS ones (only seen a handful of these around, plenty of parts though), Various orders from Ingersol-Rand (probably <1000pcs per order, I'd think), the "Hybrid" 8OT's (leftover Heritage series liners, threaded bolsters and smooth bone scales with 8OT blades - factory shipped in boxes labeled 8OTRB or 8OTGB)
At some point there was also an 8OT stamped blade with a Keen Kutter etch and shield. Also, there were at least two 8OT's that are out in the wild with 100th anniversary markings (one with a 100th banner shield, and a second with a standard old timer shield and an additional 100th aniv. shield at the opposite end of the handle)

Of the SFO ones, I have the blue Delrin FFA and one of the 125th Aniv. Ingersol models.

now, if you wanna talk rare knives on the 4" 8OT frame, I would think that of the "modern" age, the rarest would possibly be the 885 (uncle Henry King Ranch stockman) that came with the US Tobacco fisherman's 3 knife gift set. 500 pieces, individually numbered. Schrade+ stainless blades with a Copenhagen blade etch and a cope shield on real burnt stag handles (not delrin). Never seen one in person, but they sure are pretty to look at.
KnifeSlinger#81

Thanks Adam, that's some very good information. I've been wondering why the red bone 8ot's are so hard to find. Finding a red bone 34ot and 108ot from the same set has not met with any success.
-Paul T.

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I never seen a red one in the wild!
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Had a FFA one ::tu:: show up in my mailbox.
Keep Near the Cross.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't recall if I posted this one or not; I probably did somewhere. I think it was a sample made up from those knives already mentioned. It never went into production. It is available.
100 anniv 1.JPG
100 anniv 4.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I have an Old Timer Classics, 'leftovers' knife like that, that doesn't have a blade etching. It's a nicely finished knife.
Attachments
8ot Old Timer Classics (4).jpg
8ot Old Timer Classics (5).jpg
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

The Schrade 8ot is a particularly special one to me. The one in the 85' red bone set is a beauty as is the original bone 8ot. This one is is probably the prettiest one and is a 'special' in my collection. Customised my Herman Williams of course.
Tony.
Attachments
Herman Williams - 8ot.JPG
Herman Williams - 8ot - 5.JPG
Herman Williams - 8ot - 3.JPG
Herman Williams - 8ot - 4.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

tux and tails. Herman certainly knows how to trim the tree. Thanks for showing that one! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is a Herman in jigged bone.
HW jigged bone 881 mark.jpg
881 jigged bone pile.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Schradenut wrote:The Schrade 8ot is a particularly special one to me. The one in the 85' red bone set is a beauty as is the original bone 8ot. This one is is probably the prettiest one and is a 'special' in my collection. Customised my Herman Williams of course.
Tony.
Truly incredible.
-Paul T.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is one of the prettiest of Herman's knives I have seen!
I bet he has at least 25 hours of labor in that knife! ::oh_my::
All that file work on the liners and the back springs, inside and out!
That is tedious and time consuming work, makes my fingers cramp looking at it!

That is seriously one of the finest customize knives I’ve ever seen!
The engine turning on the blades takes it over the top! ::not_worthy::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

orvet wrote:That is one of the prettiest of Herman's knives I have seen!

I'm convinced one doesn't do this kind of work for the money, rather for the love of the craft.
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

Schradenut..your 8OT is stunning to say the least, wow! I love the Old Timer 8OTs...they are my favorite by far. I received this one today from Mr. Williams after sending off for new scales.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

gwelker62 wrote:
orvet wrote:That is one of the prettiest of Herman's knives I have seen!

I'm convinced one doesn't do this kind of work for the money, rather for the love of the craft.
Absolutely!! I don't do it for the money, the money just helps buy another knife to repair or customize and if I am fortunate I will have enough left to buy some handle material and some consumables, (sandpaper, sanding belts, band saw blades, glue and pin stock).
I tell folks who ask, it is a hobby that helps to partially fund itself.

Seeing what Herman gets for one of his knives I am shocked at how little they bring on ebay! :shock:
He should be getting Yellow Horse prices for his work. Yellow horse buys knife parts and assembles them, Herman Glenn, MM and I buy knives, dissemble them (which is a risk for damage and more time), then we put them back together so they look like an improved version of the original knife.
Yellow Horse has a staff to assemble the parts and put on handles that he designs. They don't have to look like a better version of a certain factory knife, they just have to look pretty and shiny.

IMHO, it is much harder to meet and exceed someone's expectations of what an improved version of a 4" Schrade stockman (8OT) should look like, because you have to compete against how that person thinks the ideal 8OT should look. You are competing against a persons vision, an idea or a concept, not a reality.

We try to take a knife that is a #5 from the factory and make it a #10, however just like a perfect #10 in women; every guy has a different concept of what a #10 woman is. The same is true of knives, every man's perfect knife is different.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

orvet wrote: Seeing what Herman gets for one of his knives I am shocked at how little they bring on ebay! :shock:
I surmise HW isn't well known enough when it comes to who he really is and background. I bet to many buyers on feebay, HW is just another knife customizer in a sea of many.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Shortly after I started customizing knives someone said one of my pathetic attempts looked a little like something Herman Williams might do. I asked; "Who is Herman Williams?"
The person pointed me to a book (one of Jim Sargent's books I think) that had an article on him. Herman is the original knife customizer, he started in the 1970s, IIRC.
If any one person could be credited with having started knife customilzing as a hobby, I would think that person is Herman. I have great respect for his talent and craftsmanship, and I am told he is a really nice guy as well.

Since I found out who Herman Williams is I have watched and admired his work from afar, often getting ideas and inspiration from his work.
In my book Herman is the original knife customerizer! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

That Herman Williams file worked knife is breath taking. There is so much going on there that I have to look hard to make sure I'm not missing anything. Beautiful!
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

They are most graceful words you mention there about Herman, Dale. I am really blessed to have rubbed shoulders with such a fine man (and now hold a considerable number of his masterpieces).
As indicated the amount of time spent producing that work of art must have been considerable.
I am a very happy recipient of such a fine knife, and Dale, a finer Gentleman you wouldn't find.
Tony.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”