Some Schrade Craftsman knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
CheckSix

Some Schrade Craftsman knives

Post by CheckSix »

a beautiful white Bowie '77 Collection, a 9541 Tube knife, a #95202 3-1/4" Jack with wood scales and a 855 pattern Craftsman...
Attachments
DSC_8590X.JPG
DSC_8437X.JPG
DSC_8438X.JPG
DSC_8588X.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
tongueriver

Re: Some Schrade Craftsman knives

Post by tongueriver »

Some of these are more likely to be Imperial or Camillus than Schrade.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

tongueriver wrote:Some of these are more likely to be Imperial or Camillus than Schrade.
Ha!! that didn't occur to me! I've had the 855 Schrade Craftsman, then added the other 3. The 9541 came in a tube and I assumed it was Schrade. But now that you mention it, I wonder about the Bowie '77 and I look at the 95202 master blade details and they are very similar to the Bowie.

How should I verify that they are either Imperial or Camillus?
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

I just re-checked the '77 Collection Bowie and the 3-1/4" Jack and they are definitely no pin Swindon system knives. Does this mean they are Schrades then?
NRA Life/Endowment
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

They're very nice knives whatever they are... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Check 6:

Nice photos too. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice knives! I think they are all Schrade products.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That 95202 looks Camillus to me.

Regardless, nice knives!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Swiden key construction is only found on Schrade manufactured knives.
At the Schrade closure auction some very astute collectors purchased all the paperwork. This included minutes of meetings in which decisions to make various runs of knives are discussed, as well as daily shop floor notes as to what was made that day, etc.
The 'buck stops here' (said the knife hunter). The paperwork shows what really happened, not hearsay or assumptions or what old collector Fred told you. What is clearly shown is that Schrade, Camillus & Imperial all did work for each other, sometimes doing part of the work and sometimes making the entire knife that would be branded with one of the other two company names.
With the Craftsman branded knives some are pure Schrade or Camillus or Imperial, whereas others were made as a joint effort by 2 of these companies.
The important point is that it makes no difference to the knife.
Albert Baer had the Craftsman knife contract in which the specifications for every knife run were stated. The knives were made to these specifications regardless of which of Albert's factories was doing the work. Furthermore the Sears contract at about 30,000 knives per year was very important to the financial health of Albert Baer's knife business. He made sure the best workmanship possible went into the Sears Craftsman knives. Hence regardless of which of his 3 knife companies were involved, the resulting knives are among the best they made.
kj
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Very interesting to read the comments! And I really appreciate everyone's response!

I've got the 95202 in my hand, with a 10x eye loop and I can clearly see there are no pins in the bolsters. Same with the '77 Collection Bowie. And by the way, with the cream color scales, it is really handsome!
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm not arguing with you Dave. You have the knife in hand.

That said, the 95202 "looks like" it came directly out of the wood handled series (below) that Camillus made from 1999 - 2003. I have a #5 from that series (thanks Tommy) but never questioned it's genetics or looked for pins in the bolsters. Until now.

Dug out the #5 and it has pins in the bolsters. So advertised by Camillus, stamped Camillus, pins in the bolsters, definitely Camillus.

Is it possible that Sears saw the Camillus wood series and told Schrade, "We want some knives made that way." Or since they were actually the same company, the salesman showed them that Camillus line to meet a price point Sears had requested. Then made the ordered patterns at Schrade on Schrade machinery. More speculation with no supporting facts because you can see from the Camillus catalog page shown below, Camillus didn't make a 3¼" medium jack in that wood handle series.
Attachments
Camillus '99-'03 Wood & Brass Series.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Jerry,
Thanks for doing that! and maybe just because it's my knife.... but I'm really enjoying this discussion!

I took some close-ups of the 95202 medium Jack bolster (and the other 2)...
Attachments
DSC_8605X.JPG
DSC_8610X.JPG
DSC_8612X.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

some better photos of the individual Craftsman knives... I included the plastic bag with item number for the 95202 in one shot.
Attachments
DSC_8604X.JPG
DSC_8606X.JPG
DSC_8608X.JPG
DSC_8609X.JPG
DSC_8611X.JPG
DSC_8613X.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well would you lookee what I found. Decided since it's a medium jack, it would go well with my small collection of medium jacks and went for a cruise on eBay. There is one. Missing the bolster. I guess that answers the heritage question. :lol: :lol:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-VINTAGE-A ... Swp5JWXJOL
And I don't care what the seller says. You would have a very difficult time convincing me that knife was not made just before Schrade went out of business.
Attachments
Craftsman (Schrade) 95202.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jerryd6818 wrote:Well would you lookee what I found. Decided since it's a medium jack, it would go well with my small collection of medium jacks and went for a cruise on eBay. There is one. Missing the bolster. I guess that answers the heritage question. :lol: :lol:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-VINTAGE-A ... Swp5JWXJOL
And I don't care what the seller says. You would have a very difficult time convincing me that knife was not made just before Schrade went out of business.
We can clearly see that the final construction was done with the Swinden machinery in the Schrade buildings, but the clip blade grind (specifically the swedge) may well be from Imperial or Camillus. If not, then Schrade changed their grind very late in their game. I am inclined toward the former explanation. Folk talk about the mixed-up parts scene during the end-of-days @ Schrade, but as Roland has so clearly explained, this was going on to some degree years earlier.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, is the Camillus page showing the "Woodcraft" knives ? I think that is the correct name for a series marked 881 to 887 that came out twice, first with handle pins, second time no handle pins. I don't see "Woodcraft" in the ad but i think that's what they are.
kj
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Schrade and Camillus worked as separate companies for a very good reason.
Get upset with on company go to the other.
I worked for people who owned two hire companies.Customer left you and went to other company.
The same people were making money from you and you did not know.
Dale (Orvet ) has shown several examples where Camillus made parts for Imperial (Schrade )
I have Craftsman knives made by Imperial, Schrade and Camillus.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

855 Stainless can be found on the pile side of Schrade Walden knives. I would agree with all KJ/Roland had to say. Lots of brother-in-law work being done.
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote:Jerry, is the Camillus page showing the "Woodcraft" knives ? I think that is the correct name for a series marked 881 to 887 that came out twice, first with handle pins, second time no handle pins. I don't see "Woodcraft" in the ad but i think that's what they are.
kj
I don't think so. The named "Woodcraft Series" was in the 1996 catalog and as you noted, had three digit numbers and pinned laminated wood handles. I've not seen a series name for the ones in the 2003 catalog. They had single digit numbers and pinned laminated wood handles but instead of nickel silver bolsters like the ones in the 1996 catalog, the ones in the 2003 catalog had brass bolsters.

Were they the same series? Were they the same knives? Hell I don't know. Maybe. Although if you compare, besides the bolster materials, you'll find some of the patterns are different. If you want them to be the same then fine, they're the same. It's not something I lose sleep over.

Now I'm going to soothe my over stressed brain with some classic country music and a natural balm I call bourbon.
Attachments
Woodcraft Series 1996.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

hehehehe...!!! natural balm. America's only native Spirit.

Anyway, my take away is... Blades were made by Camillus on contract for Schrade and then the knives were made in the Schrade factory. Sum it up about right?
NRA Life/Endowment
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This is how I get in trouble; read a thread about some cool knives which made me decide that I needed a nice old Craftsman with a crown shield.
Whala - eBay served one right up! Nice knives gents - enjoying the pictures. OH
Ps sellers photo, I won't have it for a week.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

hahaha...!!! OH, that same thing happened to me yesterday with a modern folder I was reading about. Found the dang knife online I was just reading about and bought it. Mine will be here next Wed.
NRA Life/Endowment
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Old Hunter wrote:This is how I get in trouble; read a thread about some cool knives which made me decide that I needed a nice old Craftsman with a crown shield.
aka 897UH, a very pocketable and attractive knife.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Old Hunter wrote:This is how I get in trouble; read a thread about some cool knives which made me decide that I needed a nice old Craftsman with a crown shield.
I was watching that one but opted for these two Craftsman knives instead since I don't have either one of them and I do have a 9552. It was tempting because of the condition though. Good buy!
Attachments
Craftsman 9561 Electricians Knife (Schrade or Schrade Walden)
Craftsman 95073 (Imperial)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Looks like a Schrade 861. I love that Turkish clip main.
Attachments
Schrade Walden #861 - Open.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”