8OT/881/4" stockman pattern lists

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Darksev

8OT/881/4" stockman pattern lists

Post by Darksev »

I took the plunge this month, so to speak, and decided to "formalize" my not unreasonable collection of 8OT frame knives. While in the process of grabbing a few more to bulk out the display (Thanks AAPK stores for taking my money ::mdm:: ) I started trying to build a list of the seemingly endless list of variations.

From a collectors standpoint, I feel like this pattern is a great gateway drug. Most of the common variations are widely available for reasonable prices, and there are plenty of rarer variations for the real hunter to track down.

Knives I have included are things built by Schrade and manufactured by "closely" affiliated companies (Imperial collectable types like the Parker American Eagles, for example). My likely unattainable goal is to have something of a "master list" of everything built on that frame pattern. This would include things like the 89OT Blazer, but exclude things like the 4" slimline stock patterns and slightly smaller stockmen.

I'd greatly appreciate additions, commentary or changes. Here's a GoogleDocs spreadsheet of what I've done so far. If you want to be able to edit the sheet directly, let me know your email via PM and I can add you to the approved list of editors.

Document Link (will view in browser)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Mustanger

Re: 8OT/881/4" stockman pattern lists

Post by Mustanger »

Craftsman 1927 - 1977 Commemorative 95044, white sawcut delrin
Craftsman 95045 'Bowie Stock Knife', white sawcut delrin
Craftsman 95224 with Staglon scales and slanted bolsters, initials badge on pile side and spear shield on mark side
SCC 886UH SFO with single pinned Staglon scales
Schrade Walden 8OT black handle with brass oval Old Timer shield
CW1 Covered Wagon
8OT 100 Anniversary
Schrade Heritage H889, red sawcut delrin, brass oval Schrade shield and bolsters, serrated sheeps foot and punch blades. 1997
"Special Edition" LTD, bone handle and brass oval shield Shrade+ blades and blade etch
505SC Scrimshaw 100 Anniversary
505SC Hopalong Cassidy, and I believe there are other movie cowboys too
505SC Whalers, from a Whaling set of at least 3 knives with different whaling images
SC505 "Checkered Flag Collection" blade etching and stock cars on scales

Do early sawcut bone handled 8OTs deserve a separate listing?
When did the 885UH King Ranch become Senior Ranch? I forget....a lot!
Do the 877UH and 77UH count as part of your "frame pattern" search?

Sub catagories
Ulster 98 and 98G, bone and delrin
Imperial Diamond Edge 353
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Thanks! Awesome additions ::tu:: . Based on those, I was able to track down a few more in the various series as well.

The early sawcut bone's definitely deserve their own listing!

I added a new section for branded contract knives like the Craftsmans as well. I'm sure that could well be it's own list. Thank god I'm not doing this list for Camillus knives ::mdm::

The Craftsman 95224 is a strange one. The examples I was able to find photos of are not on a swinden frame, it's got obvious visible bolster pins. That must have made some Schrade folks grumble a bit at the extra work for a contract knife, compared to most they made.

Muskrats I'm deciding to ignore. The frame is the same yes, but the pattern is markedly different

I should have the sheet updated with the new additions today.
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

It seems like every time I turn around I find another new variation :mrgreen:

That being said, it's nice to be able to visualize a "goal" as far as a collection goes. I have no intention of trying to "catch them all" but I can tell you for sure that looking through the list, I know what I'm going to be keeping an eye out for ::super_happy::

I finished up the CAD work today for the foam/velvet interior of the display (12x24)
DS1.png
and I got this proof back from the sign guys I'm working with. It'll be laser etched clear acrylic, which I'll work into a matching wood frame at the top of the case. I grabbed an old catalog logo, blew it up and re-drew the art at 500dpi so it would cut cleanly.
sc.jpg
If you remember or have come across any other examples, post em up and I'll add them to the list!
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

LOOKING GOOD!
Hate to mention this but there is a typo on Tonto. It's great that you looked up the rest of the cowboys.
I mentioned the black 8OT because I have a picture of one. It's weird and I don't have any idea what it is. Maybe a lunchbox knife. Since you are interested in what's out there, here is the picture. You probably don't want to add it to the list. And the "885UH" single blade linerlock is from a member's collection of prototypes, lunchbox knives, one of a kind and oddballs. It's fun to see the combinations people come up with. I thought I had a picture of a Skoal stockman with the oval Skoal shield replaced with the Schrade one. But I can't find it now.......
Attachments
8OT SW Black.jpg
885UH Single Linerlock.jpg
Here's an 'OTC' with a 100 Ann. blade etch
Here's an 'OTC' with a 100 Ann. blade etch
There are two different standard 100 Ann. 8OTs
There are two different standard 100 Ann. 8OTs
8OT 100th Anniversary DS.jpg
Another oddball
Another oddball
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think I have a couple variants not listed here in my own collection.
I will see if I can find them and take some pics tomorrow.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

That's one of the really "fun" things about trying to track everything down. Nobody, not even the people that owned to company, know what came out of that factory for sure ::rotflol::

I am avoiding adding lunchboxes, prototypes and assorted one off knives to the list (that would be a fun list in and of itself. Uncle Henry's misfit toys!). Since so many random combinations were slapped together in the last days it's virtually impossible to track all of them. Additionally, so many unfinished parts were released after the closure in 2004 there are alot of fakes, home-builds and general taylor shenanigans to deal with (like re-using the 100th anniversary shields on their own products, etc). I want the list to be inclusive of things that were deliberate, meaningful releases.

I really like that black delrin with the brass shield, that's sharp looking!
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I totally agree with you about not diluting your list with the oddball stuff. I just came across those pictures while searching my files for legitimate additions to your list and thought you might like to see them, just for the heck of it. You have your hands full as it is. The official 'one off', limited editions and SFOs of a legitimate nature are enough to keep you busy. I do have an affinity for those type of knives because of their rarity and uniqueness. It is an obsession I have with premium slim stockmans. I drive myself crazy with variations of the 897UH, 825, 895, 98OT and so on. Same with the 3.25" drop point blade 855/58OT type patterns. Just trying to collect all the different tang stamps on them is a little frustrating. ::uc::
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

No kiddin :) The list is at 78 unique variations right now, and that's being conservative with things like stamps, pulls and swedges on production examples. This project has had me carrying (and appreciating all the more) a couple of my user level knives in the series. I'm gonna try to convince my GF that we need to go shopping at the big antique/flea market near akron this weekend... you know, for stuff for her house... :roll:
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

You might check to see if the following are in your list:
Parker red bone Bison etch; a red Delrin version with a pic of an alligator; the blue Delrin Farmer's Pride FFA; the 100 Anniversary in BONE (I may have the only one?); the 1985 "Collectors Set" in red bone; Keen Kutter Spirit of St. Louis in Delrin; a stag version tang-stamped "New York Knife", the Rancher TM-5 to go with the Farmer which you already mentioned; the 8OTY; a very rare original bone-handled 8OT with an OVAL Old Timer shield from the 1959 to 1961(?) era; a very rare original 8OT from that same time with brown and gold-dust (celluloid?) handles.

Also, and I cannot find mine right now to check, but I believe you will find that the 886UH has a slightly smaller frame and thus may not belong here.

How about the ones made from 1904 to 1947 under the Schrade Cutlery Company marque? The 8OT/881 was hardly a new pattern for the company. I can furnish that information from those catalogs.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here are the Cutcos.
Attachments
8814P001.jpg
8834K001.jpg
8813001.jpg
8833001.jpg
SS8813001.jpg
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Thanks!
I had a few of those in there already, the rest I added. The "Buffalo" fills a gap I suspected. The "state" premium stockmen were stamped 1978-1, so I figured that would imply a 1978-2 somewhere (otherwise, just leave them as 1978). I'd seen the "New York Knife" version but for whatever reason I missed adding it. Now I know they go on the list in the ever-expanding Parker section (seems like Jim Parker liked Schrade as his go-to for SFO's). Thoughts on adding the stockmen from the "13 colonies" series to the list? I've not held one in hand, but they look to be very similar in deisgn, with the standard covers swapped out for the art covers.

The older Schrade Cut Co. knives I think are a fine addition. While not strictly "881/8ot frame" they are, I think, directly within the lineage I'm trying to catalog. I suspect if you put one of them up against an OTC80 or other "modern" 8OT variant, there would be far more similarities than differences overall. I think I'll add a new section for them.
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Made a bunch of organizational revisions, cleaned up my horrible spelling errors, added a few more SFO's I found, along with the True Value Hardware Master Mechanic models, which I had completely forgotten about. Up to 97 variations now :D Finding a new one to add to the list is ALMOST as fun as actually collecting them to begin with :-P
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Adam,
I didn't see the John Primble #935, the Belknap Hardware version of the 8OT, and I didn't see the Craftsman #9547, the Old Crafty.
Did I miss them? ::shrug::
Primble & Old Crafty versions of 8OT.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Added them both, Thanks Dale!

Assuming from the looks those are probably mid 1970's somewhere?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Darksev wrote:Added them both, Thanks Dale!

Assuming from the looks those are probably mid 1970's somewhere?
The John Primble #935, as well as their version of the 34OT and the 108OT are shown in the 1970 Belknap Hardware Catalog, however I do not see them listed in their 1974 catalog. ::shrug::
I suspect the Primble is circa late 1960s/early 1970s. From comparing the two knives I would speculate they were made close to the same time.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Thoughts on including the Imperial Frontier 4" models in the list?

I know it's all in the same "family" of Imperial/Schrade companies, but not sure as to how closely related they are. Certainly they have just as much a place on the list as say, the Imperial made Parker/Schrade collaborations, right?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I am not at my computer so I don't have the exact date but Albert Baer bought the last of the outstanding Imperial stock about 1983. Within a year or two of that time he began discontinuing the Imperial Frontier line of knives as they were direct competition with the Old Timer line. If Albert Baer thought they were competition enough that he discontinued them because he wanted to promote his flagship line of Old Timers, they must certainly be a legitimate part of the family.

Speaking of part of the family; I have worked on Frontier knives that were made with the Swinden Key, (i.e.; made in the Schrade factory).
I know some of them were also made at the Camillus Factory because I have S cards for them.
And of course they were an Imperial product so some were made in Providence.

It is a pretty big convoluted family isn't it? :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Good enough for me Dale, I'll add the Frontier stockman patterns to the list. ::groove::

I asked because I saw mention of them while hunting for more things to add to the sheet, and I'd never heard much about them. I ran across a few on ebay and they looked "swinden-ish" to me (no visible pins, even with old corroded beat up ones)
Then I remembered seeing the flyers on collectors-of-schrades.

the wood handled ones can be had pretty cheaply, I may have to score one for myself ::paranoid::
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Initially I thought it might be impossible to list every single 4", "square bolster" stockman pattern, all of the 8OT family. Now I think it might just be improbable :lol:

The list now stands at 123 different knives and I'm at the point now where finding something that isn't a "factory oops" or End of Days Franken-knife is a rare occurrence. I think my next step will be to convert this sheet into something web based so that it it can be shared more easily, and maybe starting with my collection photo documentation to go along with the text descriptions.

I know there is absolutely no way this list would be half of what it is without Dale's research lists, and everyone else's posts over the years that I gleaned all this information from, so thanks to everyone!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks there are a bunch of them. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I just scrolled past this one and thought I'd post this link for your consideration. Your mission, (should you decide to except it), will be to chose where to post it on the spreadsheet. Good job, btw!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADE-VINTAGE ... 2518.l4276
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Awesome find!

It's weird how it works out like that. After I made the "Boy, finding new knives is rare" post, I've found 5 more, all of which I'd never seen before. 3 of them using 885UH stamps, all from the early 80s. Must have been easier to do that for stainless bladed SFO's than to do a custom stamp.

Also found a nice photo example of a post-1973 882Y with the non-walden markings on it and a straight pull, so I added it. Given that the 880 also lasted until 1975, I'm wondering now if there are some examples of it out there with non-walden markings, though I suspect there are not. it's likely that the 882Y, being a "standard" flat ground blade was using the same blanks as the 881 and 881Y, which were in production for far longer and had continuous part production with the new "post walden" stamp, with just the different model stamp on the rear. The post-1973 880's were probably just made with pre-73 blanks until they ran out, and discontinued after stock was depleted.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I'm not sure if you can do anything with this, but it might peek your interest in finding out about it. I just found these pictures in my files. I don't remember what corner of the internet I found them, (maybe etsy?). I have it listed as 881 Craftsman. I'm guessing that it was listed that way when I saved the pictures. The bone looks old and authentic to me. The blade swedge suggests it's old. I saved them cuz it is interesting. The stamp showing just says CRAFTSMAN USA. A head scratcher....
Attachments
881 Craftsman Bone.jpg
881 Craftsman Bone (2).jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Hey, I dug deep and found the listing for the bone handled Craftsman on etsy. It's still there and the description says, "Marked on the tang: Craftsman USA. No model numbers found." So,...never mind.... :?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180946238/ ... ref=market

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”