Another "Whodunnit"!

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Not that I know of, off hand here are some pics of other versions of fishing knives. The large Schrade Cut easy open barlow with fish scaler backed blade ( in both liner lock and regular. with etched bolster and with out. Look close and the one still has some etch. Then there is a Schrade cut in black cell ( this is the one in the collection which is also the one in the sargent book see pic) that I managed to buy). Then a Schrade walden trapper version with fish shield 9 peachseed bone handles , never made in delrin). Notice the later jigged version of bone. These were done in Ellenville. Then a Fishermans friend ( etch somewhat visable ). version with a bit different scaler disgorger. NOTE the prices you see were from the early 1980tys when this book was written by Jim Sargent. There are a couple of other knives which should be mentioned ( Ulsters ) which would increase the understanding of this topic. However while endeavering to get these pieces out with my hands full. I stepped on Buster ( one of my cats. His yowl and leap to freedom caused two giant displays to fall and need to be repaired. This caused the easel they were on to fall luckily due to a Brass cannon ball which is by one of the easel legs it was deflected from some irreplacable glass 1920 cases and instead fell into my folding wood door which will now need restaining. Which shows why things like brass balls are a good thing to keep nearby. Everyone should have a cannon ball in there living room. Did I mention I was now single. I should go into the other aspects so remind me in a day or two if there is an interest. In the mean time after I feed the cats ( who are not hurt ). I will be affecting repairs. I am afraid the " GREAT LT" will not be answering questions for the next few hours.
Attachments
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG (5.51 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG (31.05 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-014S.JPG
MVC-014S.JPG (15.03 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG (27.16 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG (16.74 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG (27.22 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (12.5 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (22.96 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (24 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (15.01 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Thanks LT

Boy, what a mess a fella can cause by asking a simple question :lol:

Those are some dandy looking fishing barlows. Fish knives of all kinds have always attracted me, I guess since I spend the majority of my summer in or on the water they are a handy knife to have in ones pocket. The degorger blades get the mostuse. Thanks again for your insight.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Great reply, LT and thanks.

Brass cannon balls? Damn, I feel so inadequet. All I have are these little lead balls.
Attachments
Ruger Old Army .44 cap and Ball.
<br />Knife is Camillus Airforce, rehandled by Agteacher
Ruger Old Army .44 cap and Ball.
Knife is Camillus Airforce, rehandled by Agteacher
DSCF5921.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Hmmmmm..... ::hmm:: :shock:
Attachments
Alrighty Then.jpg
Alrighty Then.jpg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Thanks for the detailed answer, LT, and the correction on Shaw Leibowitz.
I am sorry about your cat mishap, and hope nothing is irrepairable.
Juggling knives can be dangerous work :lol: :lol: !

I eagerly await your further spiel on Ulsters! But take your time :mrgreen: !
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

True man does not live by cannonade alone besides both shot and shell. There is always luck and the unexpected in this case the one card draw for the Case Ace. Besides the brass cannon balls you must also have the heart.
Attachments
poker 2.JPG
poker 2.JPG (37.3 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

LT,

After reading your posted adventures about Buster, my lovely bride of 23 years today :D asked if Buster is ok after the mishap..? ::shrug::

Thanks,

Sunburst
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

happy aniversary ralph! ::ds::
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I mentioned that they were OK (" In the mean time after I feed the cats ( who are not hurt ). I will be affecting repairs." ) Please thank your wife for her concern.

Have a great anniversary. LT
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Look at the bright side LT, you are probably the most experienced repairman of antique knife cases in the world. Both by virtue of the fact that you probably have more antique knife cases than anyone else & that you have cats! :lol: :lol:

When she was younger one of my little granddaughters (about 4 years old at the time) maintained that, "Duck tape can fix anything!"
For a period of time I was bombarded with requests to fix broken toys with duct tape, everything from cars & dolls to balloons! :shock:

Don't forget the "Duck" tape! :mrgreen:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Hey LT...

That's what I'd CALL "All In!"

:mrgreen:

Wild Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

If I had one of those hands, I'd go all in too!

Happy anniversary, Ralph!! ::tu::
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

A while back I wanted to add something to this thread and it like many things it sort of got away from me for a while. This is in reference to Schrade and Ulster fishing knives. The elongated turkish clip blade used by Schrade in its staglon version fishing knives was also used by Ulster for there very rare 3 bladed gaff knife. This knife came about when Albert or Henry ??? Baer was out fishing in Florida with a close friend Ted William the ball player ( who had his head frozen so that he could be brought back to life after he died ) well anyway he was a hell of a ball player and was affialiated with Sear Roebuck and endorsed a line of sporting goods. Well getting back to the story . Ted reached down and gaffed a tarpon with a gaff knife and said why don't you guys sell a knife like this. So Al or henry came home called in a worker ( who told me the story ) and said build one on our 3 backspring fishing knives ( one blade was being used as a folding can opener. ( see display pic middle top row ). This version also used the elongated sabre.

These knives did not sell well since most states do not allow them for fresh water fish and they had to be used in salt water. Most carried the JC Higgins etch and Ulster tang. They were made in limited numbers. I have one in Schrade Walden because a friend used a staglon blade ( Schrade ) to repair an Ulster I had with a broken blade. So it is probably the only Schrade Walden Gaffer around. If you look at the display and in holding with the first rule of Schrade that anything is possible, in that display case there is also a Schrade bone toothpick with an etched fishing scene tanged John Primble ( again out ot R+D. ) So go figure. As you can see I have an addiction for this particular pattern knife the one in the box is brand new I bought it from a 90 year old man who was given it as a gift and never used it. I have mentioned this before so I hope no one is to bored by my repeating it. LT
Attachments
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (16.41 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG (39.51 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

lt632ret wrote:As you can see I have an addiction for this particular pattern knife
Nice addiction! :mrgreen:
I need to find a couple so I can become addicted also. :lol: :lol:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Just picked this one up at the P.O. LT, it's all your fault!!

Errrr, thanks!!!
Attachments
GafferUlster.jpg
LRV

Post by LRV »

I also picked this one up the other day. While I have a few toothpic's its time Phil popped in and showed us a few of his collection.
Attachments
ulster-fish.jpg
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Nice to see you all hooked . So to speak. LT
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

lt632ret wrote:Nice to see you all hooked . So to speak. LT
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice knives guys! ::tu::

Dale
Dale