Schrade/Craftsman prototype in question???

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Roger - 50/2050

Schrade/Craftsman prototype in question???

Post by Roger - 50/2050 »

Hello knifer friends,

I wanted to post this knife auction here instead of the counterfeit section because I feel that it will get more exposure in this section of the forum! ....For those of you that are in the know, I would like to find out the truth on weather or not this Schrade fixed blade Bowie knife is a true "Prototype", it is being offered with a letter of documentation signed by the President of SMKW stating it is a Prototype but myself, I have my own doubts for my own personal reasons regarding these documents! ....The item number for this eBay auction is ----> #260086779043 - SCHRADE/CRAFTSMAN BUFFALO BILL BOWIE KNIFE PROTOTYPE! ....Give this one a look over friends & tell me your thoughts!

"Texas collector", Roger - 50/2050 :wink:
A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

The early 70 ty models under Schrade Walden had a brass guard and a round BB medalion in the handle. This is aluminum guard and no medalion. Just what Schrade would have had for a proto. In fact since it comes with one of those famous certificates. I believe it might have come off the board room wall. Those knives were mounted mostly with out sheaths. So it looks like our intrepid buyer got this from smokey, smokey then said it is a proto BB so here is a Buffalo Bill sheath to go with it. Since as a proto not produced it would not have had a produced sheath. In effect who knows if it was offered to Sears as a BB issue or just a new model. I would say for sure the sheath is from the later model. They often went with an aluminum guard on protos as well as using it on some issues.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

LT,
Do you know why they used aluminium guards in the prototypes?

BTW, how much snow do you have? I hear it is deep up your way.

Stay warm,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

They still do ease of cutting the aluminum, and cost, here is an old original Buffalo Bill factory ad and early one since some of the words were crossed out to change for the final factory add. it came out of an old executives file he used this one to proofread for the final one. Which I may or may not come across ( you never know around here ). LT PS Just saw the last part of your post how high is the snow HUMM. Well I used the blower once to get a head start for tomorrow. Then took a nap my arthritic hip ( in part an old gift from the orient ) is a flame so hobbling while using the snow blower on the ice is really a challenge If I do go down at least I will leave a nice corpse in the spring. My only concern is that the cats are not fully trained in opening up there own friskies yet. If I croak outside they will have nothing to eat. How high is the snow well lets say in some spots high enough to keep me cool where the sun don't shine. Well you asked and I was trying so hard today to be official and sticking to the subject of knives. Some people it seems may have felt my description of going to the park in a new town to feed the pidgeons a bit to descriptive. So I was trying to be nice.
Attachments
buffalo bill.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

LT,
The things you come up with never ceases to amaze me! :mrgreen:

Keep dazzling us!
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
justold52

Post by justold52 »

I know what he means .
The snow is arm pit high because not a thing will ever shine from there.
:P :P :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
Roger - 50/2050

Post by Roger - 50/2050 »

Thank you for your answers LT, they are always refreshing & educational for me as well as for others!

"Texas collector", Roger - 50/2050 :wink:
A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”