3OT Schrade Old Timer Salesman Sample with Sheepsfoot Blade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
dwygtd

3OT Schrade Old Timer Salesman Sample with Sheepsfoot Blade

Post by dwygtd »

I have read the great info about the 2OT, OLD TIMER, 1st in the series, made available for 3/1959 on BladeForums.com, but this 3OT Salesman Sample with the sheepsfoot blade is not mentioned. The info on BladeForums.com lists the next knife added to this line was the 8OT which was made available for 2/1960. One guy at the recent Parker Pigeon Forge, Tn. show told me the this 3OT never went into production.
Can any of you Schrade folks give me the skinny on this knife? Thanks in advance for any help! Dennis / dwygtd
Attachments
mycollection 009.jpg
mycollection 006.jpg
mycollection 005.jpg
mycollection 003.jpg
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

what a beautiful knife.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

HEY Muskrat Man, does this knife look familar? Seems like a long lost cousin to the OLD gal I sent you NO? Just wondering
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
CarlM

Post by CarlM »

You might want to oil that one up.
Sorry but I think I might have drooled all over it. :oops:
Very nice!!!
Carl
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Well pardner you have yourself a dandy you should have come here first. your knife is exactly what you were told you can find reference to it in Sargeants one and two. about 25 made and never produced. Let me know should you ever wish to dispose of it. LT PS let us know if you need more info we will try to help. PPS just a bit more. In 59 the Oldtimer line was introduced the 2 OT in smoothbone then later the 8 OT in smooth real bone. Your knife as well as several even rarer versions such as a jigged bone version were tried. Most people do not realize that there were 2 releases of the 2 OT the original and a second release in the 70 tys. These were identical. the 2-OT and 8-OT were the only bone OT knives issued. The company not only decided not to produce the sheepsfoot model or the jigged bone model but also decided to make the OT line out of sawcut delrin. Plastic usually received gray and then dyed to the color most of us now recognize. This is not surprising since the company was phasing out natural materials ( for handles ) in favor of man made ie plastic. There is a lot more to this but I am not sure how much more you want and I do not want to bore you with statistics or rants and most of this can be easily looked up and accessed. Interestingly the predecessors to the 2 OT can be found in the Schrade cut line you can easily recognize the pattern. If you need or want these numbers let me know or just look them up in the Russel Schrade catalogue reprint which has been referred to here several times on this site.
Attachments
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG (14.07 KiB) Viewed 8426 times
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You got a dandy Dennis. ::tu::
LT is the man on these. If he doesn't know it, probably no one does.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
justold52

Post by justold52 »

dwygtd ; By now you should know I like Schrade too.
I never took the time to thank you for all of you e-mails on some of your Schrades on E bay. so let me THANK YOU now.
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

wow, that is a dandy knife! Yep PA, she does look like my knife's cousin. I am hoping and patiently (not) searching for some blades for it, hopefully I'll persevere (not much with fancy words, so sorry if it's misspelled :lol: ).
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
dwygtd

Post by dwygtd »

::tu:: Thanks to all you fellers for your input on this knife! Roger, thanks for directing me to the most suitable topic of the forum for this knife. Bored with statistics and rants LV ? Never! I know I am not alone in this and I sincerely enjoy and appreciate your great writings and information. Same for all others who put forth their time and efforts to educate and expand the knowledge for us all. I know you spend a lot of your time and energy for the betterment of whatever the cause may be. I respect that!
I do not have a Sargeants book 1 or 2 yet, but am looking for one. I spoke to Mr. Herman Williams this morning and asked him about the 3OT. He had also confirmed the rarity of the knife and was going by memory as to numbers produced, told me probably not many more than a dozen of these were ever made. He asked me if it was part of the factory collection and when I told him yes, he told me that it was a knife he had once owned. He bought the knife from another feller in North Carolina. Thanks again to all!
Dennis / dwygtd[/size][/i][/b]
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Wow Dennis,
It is great to have that info on a knife. All that history just makes it that much more valuable.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

LT. not LV but what the hell I have been called worse. Heck I, knew the knife when I saw it. Hey I Lost Hermans number please tell him I said hello. I know more about his old collection than he remembers. But then again he still knows and has forgotten more than I will ever know so it is an even bet. Tell him my number is 845 895 3501 and if he gives me a call I will send him a copy of my book just to shoot the sh-- . I mean discuss this history if nothing else tell him his buddy Dave Swinden was asking about him. By the way I just got the North West Knives catalogue and they have some out of print references ( including the New England book ) . So if you have an interest look it up. I always like an even playing field and if you guys have the references we can all be experts by virtue of the study of the real experts who wrote this stuff. LT PS I have not been able to find Hermans number since my wife of 39 years decided i was a dirtbag and left. Hey Herman is that a coincidence. ?
dwygtd

Post by dwygtd »

Hey Dale. Yes, I am very pleased to have this pair and I think they should stay together. I did price them to a feller at the recent Pigeon Forge show, for what I thought was a high price. His mouth kinda dropped open so he must have thought they were high too. I am very glad he did not take me up on my offer. I like these knives and have a good home for them here in Tennessee. One day I will offer them for sale to the right owner who appreciates their value. Thanks again Folks!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!
PS. Hello again LT not LV, sorry about that! I will see to it that Mr. Williams gets your information. Dennis or worse
LRV

Post by LRV »

Ive seen Sargents book but never new the knife was numbered 3OT.
Beauty. Was it a SMKW purchase? Looks like one of their certificates.
Sargent also shows a Craftsman version of the 2OT which I believe LT has a copy of.
All interesting stuff to me.

TTYL
LRV.
Larry that is.
I might have similar initials but I sure dont look LT. Im the pretty one and I rember putting up pictures to prove it!
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Here are some pics to emphasize some of what I was saying regarding this style of knife and some of its history . This is a group of 3, 2-OT knives two are in smooth bone one in jigged bone there were only 3 or four or these made since they were really trying to figure out what they wanted to do with this pattern. I also included a similar Schrade Cut pre 46 in ebony with a spear blade Instead of Old timer on the bottom bolster it says simply Schrade. It has the same flat bottom bolster and threaded and pinched top bolster. There is another Schrade Walden that has the same top bolster jigged bone handles and a rounded or typical bottom bolster. There is also an earlier Schrade cut with an earlier just pinched but not threaded top bolster and no bottom bolster. I also put in an 8-OT in real bone in case you might not be familiar with what they looked like. So as I said this pattern an variations had been used and experimented with for a long time however in 59 they were trying to see what would fit in to what was to become one of the most famous lines of knives ever made. LT
Attachments
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (28.83 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG (43.93 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG (37.69 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG (32.57 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (45.35 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (37.5 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (39.71 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

not quite as educational without the blades, but what the heck. PA was kind enough to send me this knife, I just wish I could find some blades for the old girl. The broken blades you see there are hammer brand blades that someone had put in it.
Attachments
knife 010.jpg
knife 010.jpg (42.4 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
knife 027.jpg
knife 027.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
schrade.jpg
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
upnorth

A couple more!

Post by upnorth »

I thought I'd add my pair in here. A 2202 Cut. Co., and a 2OT.
Attachments
2OTand2202onRed.jpg
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Today while looking for something else ( naturally ) I came across an old salvaged looseleaf from Schrade, it had several years of copies of old ads which had been saved . Here are two ads from 69 relating to the 2-OT and 8-OT which were sided in smooth bone as in some of the pictures posted here. The OT line began in 59 this issue was in 69 I believe this is the re release of the original versions which I believe to have been about 10 years earlier. I had guessed from memory that this was in the 70tys it was 69. Notice it came in a box which I had mentioned as the givaway of it being the later issue. Since I do not believe the early issues had a box. Now perhapes I am wrong ( it is quite possible) however it is my belief until corrected that the 2-OT and 8-OT. were the first issues and were in smooth bone in 59 when Schrade began to make this line. I thought you would enjoy the pics. LT
Attachments
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-024S.JPG (52.28 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-023S.JPG (47.02 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG (46.63 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG (57.45 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG (40.18 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG (45.43 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG (65.45 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
LRV

Post by LRV »

LT,
You are correct.
The 2OT was in 59 the 8OT in 60 followed by the Ulster 58 later in 60 and then the Ulster 50 in 61. Good stuff.
TTYL
LArry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 3OT Schrade Old Timer Salesman Sample with Sheepsfoot Blade

Post by orvet »

I was checking some old topics to see if the changes due to Photobucket’s new policy had adversely this great old thread. I was relieved to see the pictures still here!
After rereading this almost 11 year topic it dawned on me that we have a lot of new members who have joined AAPK in the last 10 years, since the last post to this topic in December 2006. There are probably some folks who have started collecting Schrade since 2006.
The original poster doesn’t hasn’t posted in a couple years, but Larry, ((LRV) & LT, (lt632ret) are still around. Larry runs the collectors-of-Schrade and collectors-of-Camillus websites. He does a great job! ::tu::
LT is involved in running the Wawarsing Knife Museum and I know he has a couple of other things going on also. ::tu::

There’s a lot of awesome information in this one topic and unless a person knows how to dig can use the search engine you probably won’t find it.
I hope y’all enjoy it. I definitely found it worth the reread!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Dale thanks for pulling this one back up to the top of the feed once again. I enjoyed reading this thread. It just so happens that I know someone who has one of the 3OTs mentioned. I knew they were rare but didn't realize they were quite as rare as stated here.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Just for information....the 3OT pictured is the knife that now resides in my collection and I also have the 2OT also. These two knives came out of the Schrade Factory Collection.

To clarify a little better, there were only 13 samples made of the 3OT and it did not gran any customer interest...hence it was never put into production. This is why you will not find it in any Schrade Price Lists or on a sell sheet.

To my knowledge, I own the only Mint 3 OT still in existence and I have only seen a picture of one other that was in terrible condition.

The Schrade Factory Collection 2 OT & 3 OT are cornerstones of my Schrade collection. The 2 OT was only produced as the Original Schrade in 1959 & 1960. I am not aware of any reproduction of them in 69 or 70, however, I am going to do some more research to try to validate.

Tom
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

I remember reading about this issue coming on the other site because of LT's post on the 69/70 reissue. Don't believe there was ever a resolution or corroboration either.

As well one of those pics LT posted of the catalog sheets are copied on to The collectors site and labeled 1960. Per the UT BM notations in the upper right corner

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... 60-2OT.htm

-Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Using my normal, highly developed method of finding rare knives (the pure, dumb luck method) I stumbled across this worn version of the Old Timer 3OT in a Gunshop this past week. For future reference here is a rare knife that made it into a real users pocket. OH
Attachments
31C76F01-1CB2-46E4-9643-5963E0DDE83F.jpeg
9CDF1624-232E-4AB2-A77F-37E392427828.jpeg
72F58F4C-DD12-4B14-A3D1-32839FA6E8B7.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats OH, that one is a jewel. And that is some highly developed old dumb fool luck you have. A great knife and it is in your pocket!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Old Hunter wrote:Using my normal, highly developed method of finding rare knives (the pure, dumb luck method) I stumbled across this worn version of the Old Timer 3OT in a Gunshop this past week. For future reference here is a rare knife that made it into a real users pocket. OH
Does this look like a beautiful old Lambsfoot? Blade appears to have a taper. Whatever, is a Beautiful knife. Glad you are going to use it.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”