help date schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

help date schrade

Post by stockman »

Need help on when this one was made. Schrade Walden NY USA #804 whittler peach seed green bone flat master blade. I know that the 1946-1973 era was for this knife, I though it might be early in this period. I was going by the type of handle material.

Thanks Stockman
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Your knife was made as early as 1954 and no later than 1960. The odds are it was made between 1956 and 1960 but it could have been as early as 1954. The USA on the tang almost guarantees it as an Ulster Schrade Walden rather than a Walden Schrade Walden . Is that confusing enough. After 56 the Schrade Walden USA tanged knives were made in Ellenville when Schrade moved in and combined production with Ulster in the original Ulster plant. Prior to that Schrade Waldens had been made in Walden in the Walden ( original Schrade plant ). Up until around 54 approx the Schrade Walden tang did not use the USA in 54 they started phasing it in so you could have gotten either from the Walden plant. After 56 in Ellenville they all carried the USA, However after the move Schrade stopped making natural material knives going instead to various man made materials. Butter molasses be came a delrin multi color called K Horn. Jigged bone jigged delrin ( wonda wood an imi wood from delrin)ect . They used the natural materials left from Walden until they ran out Pearl, jigged bone ect. They ran out in 59 or 60 and did not use natural materials again until the mid 70tys. By then the tang was changed so. 56 until 60 and made in Ellenville with a very small chance as early as 54 to 56 made in Walden. LT
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

You know LT.....you're pretty good at this stuff.

:mrgreen: ::tu::

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thanks woofer I value your opinion. LT
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Hello LT, I've got about 50 knife books and could not figure this out!!!You are good at this stuff!

Thanks Stockman
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Absolutely amazing!
Sometimes I think LT has forgot more than we all know!

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thankyou please give me some points to use when I miss some ( and i will ). LT

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”