An Oregon Custom cutler !!

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Fascinating to see the process Dale. Great work ::tu:: . Thanks.
W5RWU

Post by W5RWU »

Dale
Bravo Bravo!!!!
see ya Randy
upnorth

Handling Schrades!

Post by upnorth »

Great work, Dale!
Nice to see the process! Thanks for the tour!!
Charlie :D
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

customs

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi Dale;
WOW, what a display. The how you done it was of particular interest. I never realized the steps or work involved to reach this degree of perfection. IMO the number 020s closeup in LT's post is really fantastic.
That is not to say that any of your work isn't. Thats my favorite.
Thank You,
W.B.
PS Edit; The fighting knife profile in 022s is something else, I betcha Bo is somewhere smiling over that one.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

WB,
I quite agree, LT's pics are better than mine, w/o a doubt, as are the pics Ron took. I didn't take any pics of the knife I made for Ron. I was just experimenting and wasn't sure that it would come out right.

There are a number of steps I left out as I got so into the making of the knives that I forgot to take pics. Also it is a bit unsafe to operate power tools and take pics of the process at the same time. The only reason I have a pic of me buffing the handle is because my grandson was staying here for a week and took the pic.

While I was making these knives for LT this summer, 4 of my Grandsons came to spend a week at our house (a week each, not all at once :shock: ). They ranged in age from about 9 to 16. Of course I took each of them fishing at least once and they each made their first knife. They all enjoyed it. I am saving up a bunch of old folders and think I will help them rebuild an old slipjoint to add to their collection this next summer.

All four of them are starting collections of their own. I believe in starting them young! :mrgreen:
Incidentally, the youngest is probably the most ardent collector. A year or so ago I found an old Cub Scout knife and fixed it up & gave it to him is he is in Cub Scouts. I explained to him that it is carbon steel and that he needed to oil the joints & wipe the blades with oil periodically. When he had his birthday I gave him a 34 Old Timer. His first question was, "Is it carbon steel?" I said "Yes." He asked, "Then I need to oil it like my Scout knife, right?" I was surprised that at 8 years old he had retained so much of what I told him.

Dale
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

That is great Dale, both the process, the finished products, and the interest your grandsons have in knives. That is just great stuff! ::tu:: ::tu::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Incredible...I agree..Bravo, Bravo.... ::tu::
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”