SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
ratlesnake75

Re: SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Tongueriver, I am Just curious here Sir,,,,So is it that you disagree with our Books that the "Stamping" is NOT from 46-73??
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
Schrade Tang Stamps.jpg
SCHRADE.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

First in no way did i mean to insult or demean you or your integrity, pride, or honor. I sincerely wish to apologize if any thing I said impuned you in any way. I hope you will accept what is a truly heart felt apology. I was unaware that the knife on was yours I thought that suddenly another knife with the same number ( which i still cannot reference, had come up with again the same stag slabs that were on your knife and in the same pristene condition ). As far as understanding finances I was married at 17 and had 5 children by 22 ( twins and two in one year. ) I am glad I finally found out what was causing that. For many years firewood, and venison were my currency and barter. I used to butcher deer for people many were Schrade workers who would pay me with meat fire wood or a schrade knife. My salary in 1972 was 7000 a year with the NYS DOCS ( 5 kids ) I have known 7 generations of cutlers the oldest was John Clark who worked at New York knife in 1917 and died at 104. I have been involved in this study for 60 years. I do feel that I have a fairly good understanding of the subject since upon my retiring from the New York Dept of Correction after 26 years. I along with dave Swinden was the curator for the Schrade factory collection. I also did there customer shows on the East coast in which along with there current product, explained and answered any questions which might be posed from the public regarding company and hudson valley history as Schrades represenative . Please be assured that I have an entire collection of salesmans samples , one of a kinds , lunchbox special s stuff that came out of R&D research and development. So I am fairly accustomed to variations of products produced. I in no way would suggest that you would intentionally sell a knife that you did not feel was exactly as represented. Once again my apology if you feel I suggested that. I feel the point I raised about re releases being sold as original was confirmed by the listing on ebay which was the same as the SWA787Y which I posted and shows that this is being done. Obviously I was wrong with the 298 I believed it was another one popping up and did not know it was yours. I have been in the Schrade factory numerous times and seen and am familiar with production and procedure I also have been lucky enough to know and count as friends some of the brilliant people who were employed by them . They have contributed greatly to the unusual and unique pieces, to the special unique items segment of my collection that i prize. The first rule of thumb with Schrade is never to be surprised by what you find. Or never say never. I have not had the advantage of having your knife in my hands to inspect. I also value your integrity and totally agree that the only thing of importance is our name and reputation. I truly believe that you believe your knife is correct . I in all honesty while I accept your belief and opinion and also understand fully the points you have raised still feel that I must reserve my opinion. The point I was trying ( apparently badly )was to show wasthat rereleases are being sold as the real deal.(example SWA787Y). I do make mistakes most humans do. I am the first to admit that. I thank you for being as straight up, polite and understanding as you have been in responding to my comments that may have offended you. Once again my abject apology. which I hope you can accept. I also have spent my life looking for the rare an unusual the only difference is that usually I never sold them i just went without eating. You do indeed have a wealth of information and i for one want to thankyou for you contributions opinions and knowledge. Good luck with your knife and future endeavers. With Respect LT
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey LT, Its a Wonderful thing to meet Great Knife guys Like YOU,,,and All I can say is that the Pleasure is All Mine Sir. If you do like my knife LT, Please Sir let me send it too you for evaluation ALL AT MY EXPENSE Both ways, Sir. This is how confident I am or that I will stand by my Word & knife. All I need is your address and the knife will be off 1st thing Monday
Absolutely No apology necessary my friend as we ALL make mistakes, I just happy I found someone who enjoys Antique knives like I do Sir.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Truthfully I will pass on the offer I really feel that I have embarrassed myself by taking the entire thing to far. I totally accept your judgment . I really just want to allow it to be what it is. My opinion or validation means nothing in regard to the piece. I do realize how strongly you feel that it is right and your offer further exemplifys that belief. I simply just would prefer to accept your opinion and not take it any further. In fact I feel that it has gone to far already. I hope you can accept that. if you are ever in the area please stop by. Regards LT
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey MR. LT, I am sorry if I offended you too in any shape or form. I having a difficult time understanding WHY,,,You of all folks would NOT want this knife for the Schrade Collection of Future Generations to enjoy??? Am I too high priced on it??? Would you want me to send it too Mr. Levine for authentication before buying??? I dont know what else I can offer to your satisfaction Sir
Kind Regards,
Mark
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Sorry I did not respond sooner I went to sleep. I certainly am not offended. I simply have no interest or need of the knife. I certainly know Bernie very well and you certainly should proceed as you feel necessary but not on our account. We simply do not need to acquire any more stock as I have shown by what I have sitting here. if i had it I would have no place to put it. besides that as I have pointed out our financial situations is such that we are not in a positiion to purchase any more items. Frankly our financial goal is just to remain solvent and stay alive. I am perfectly satisfied as things are and feel the knife should and will stand on its own merits. Thanks again LT
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Morning Mr. LT, I cant thank you enough for the Wonderful words Sir. I am very appreciative of what you do for so many of us knife guys. I very much look forward to seeing your museum and Donating what I can to your cause. I wish I was in the $$ position to give you my knife,,I would in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I hope & Pray to be on the East coast this Next year doing knife shows and If I can make it to those knife shows,,,I promise to make the time to visit the Museum as it is of Great interest too me Sir.
If perhaps you know anyone interested in my Schrade, I would be indebted & grateful,, as I Normally do other brands of knives Sir.
Blessings my Knife friend,
Mark
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

If in the area and it is a period in which we are not open please contact me and I will open up and give you a personal tour. Regards LT PS no mister is needed just LT is fine.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey LT, You got it bro and I can't wait!!! So appreciative, Your too nice my friend
Kind Regards & Blessings,
Mark
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Tongueriver, I am Just curious here Sir,,,,So is it that you disagree with our Books that the "Stamping" is NOT from 46-73??
Kind Regards, Mark
When the Baers started up the newly labeled Schrade Walden Cutlery, their new stamps did not say "U.S.A." on the bottom line, as in example #6 from the Knife World page 30 which you posted. It is unclear how long these stamps were used, but it seems that they disappear from the blades we see, by sometime in the early 1950s. It no doubt varied as to how long each stamp was useable, for instance. Your nice stag knife DOES say "U.S.A." in the last line of the stamp, so it was made later than the early 1950s, but before the changeover in the middle of 1973. Sorry about my clumsy reference earlier.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Is is safe to assume the stamp on all blades stopped around 1950 before the switch to only stamping the master?
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hi Mr. Tongueriver, I want to learn as much as you Sir about the CORRECT dating of the Stamps used. With that said, Please take absolutely no offense to my question as I am here to Learn also buddy. You certainly posed a Great response!! I honestly just take the Dating charts reference to dates((differently)) than you do. If I may explain with no offense Sir as why I see it differently as of now,,As always I do my very best to keep an open mind.
I view the Dating of the #6 stamp as it implies that it started around c1946 and was used up until the 50's era. So therefore I can assume it was NOT USED after that BUT BUT The #7 AND The #8 Logo's say it twice from c1946-73 AND on top of this,,,The #9 Stainless logo was c1946-73 also. I Just dont believe these are common mistake or errors(normally for it too be published like this,,,There must be PROOF). So I kinda see it like this if I may,,,The Schrade Cut Co stamp was used in c1946 and ALL them other stamps used in c1946 also. With mentioning of my Stag knife is further proof that It was Most likely made in c1946 during the transitional changeover,,,,Hence why the Stag looks Identical to the Schrade Cut Co Stag knives and likely should have been stamped Schrade cut and Schrade Walden,,,My opinion for whats its worth.
Kind Regards,
Mark
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hi Mr. Tongueriver, I want to learn as much as you Sir about the CORRECT dating of the Stamps used. With that said, Please take absolutely no offense to my question as I am here to Learn also buddy. You certainly posed a Great response!! I honestly just take the Dating charts reference to dates((differently)) than you do. If I may explain with no offense Sir as why I see it differently as of now,,As always I do my very best to keep an open mind.
I view the Dating of the #6 stamp as it implies that it started around c1946 and was used up until the 50's era. So therefore I can assume it was NOT USED after that BUT BUT The #7 AND The #8 Logo's say it twice from c1946-73 AND on top of this,,,The #9 Stainless logo was c1946-73 also. I Just dont believe these are common mistake or errors(normally for it too be published like this,,,There must be PROOF). So I kinda see it like this if I may,,,The Schrade Cut Co stamp was used in c1946 and ALL them other stamps used in c1946 also. With mentioning of my Stag knife is further proof that It was Most likely made in c1946 during the transitional changeover,,,,Hence why the Stag looks Identical to the Schrade Cut Co Stag knives and likely should have been stamped Schrade cut and Schrade Walden,,,My opinion for whats its worth.
Kind Regards,
Mark
There is a Schrade Walden 825 thread just started up; I just did a post there which you might find useful (or not). Worth a look, I think.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Mr. Tongueriver, I want desperately to know more about this Tang stamp issue. I have seen the postings on BF too. Absolutely NONE of it Sir is making a bit of sense to me. When you have the time Sir. Please elaborate more on the stamps here on aapk for those that dont follow on BF. Certainly with all the Wealth of Documented info on Schrade,,It shouldn't be very difficult to narrow down the dates used for different stampings. Just maybe the dates can also be more narrowed by Military knives and or switches.

Mr. Knifeslinger pose a Great question too!! I am Just as curious to when they STOPPED stamping ALL the blades on Schrade Walden knives,,Like my knife has only the Master blade stamped,,,,Which is leaning towards Mr. Tongueriver saying Mid 50's. If my knife was a 1946 issue then it suppose to have ALL BLADES STAMPED Right, Guys?? These are Great Questions that I would like answers too. Its very thrilling for me to be involved with these Quests as we have the very best & Most talented Knife folks in the World right here at our fingertips. I certainly cant thank everyone enough for there information sharing and I am ever so appreciative of your time.
Kind Regards,
Mark
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Is is safe to assume the stamp on all blades stopped around 1950 before the switch to only stamping the master?
I don't think I have ever seen a post-Schrade CutCo knife stamped on more than just the master blade. If I have, I have forgotten it or it did not register at the time. BTW, I believe the business transfer to the Baers occurred in DECEMBER of 1946, at which point I was slightly beyond a twinkle in me Mother's eye, and possibly a little uncomfortable to her. :D
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Mr. Tongueriver, I personally have owned a slew of Schrade Walden,,,ALL BLADES Stamped knives. Most of them occur in the 3 1/2" Stockman or thereabouts and Most Always have peachseed Bone handles. Next time I have one,,Will post it Sir and it WILL Jog your memory!!
Kind Regards,
Mark
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Here is an Ebay listing for a "Schrade Cut Co"
Only stamped on the master,,,Secondary blade not stamped,,This is for "Knifeslinger to enjoy" HAHAHAH.
Either very unusual or secondary blade replaced?? I am sure you Schrade guys will know, but it should be helpful in dating or NOT, lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132168920717?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
110.jpg
111.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

What's odd to me is the secondary blade looks too big, like a big pen for a jack or something. That combined with no stamp. It could be the angle of the photos that make it look so big, but I'm not so sure.

I have a cut here that shows what would be the appropriate pen blade size. I also have two shapleighs (schrade made) that are the same frame and blades as this cut. They all look to be the same frame as the ebay knife, the length is the same. It looks kinda fishy to me. Now I'm NOT an expert and I could be wrong, but this is my opinion.
Attachments
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I spotted that secondary as not looking appropriate, as well, but did not actually look farther. Good job, Knifeslinger! There are millions of doctored knives out there, some of them being only expedient repairs, with no thought of defrauding anyone.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, How about this ALL BLADE Stamped Schrade Walden,,,Just listed on ebay. This is the "Normal" that I often see around,,,Also, All blades stamped on the Medium sized 3-bladed Stockman as well((Oh yea, I just remembered,,I have owned them in Ulster & Shapleigh,,same looking knife with the Peachseed bone handles)) Ringing any bells Yet??? What you think MR. Tongueriver? Hope that Jogs your memory some Sir.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-VINTAGE-ANT ... SwX61ZBkGy
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Great eye there Knifeslinger. I concur that there is Totally something wrong with the secondary blade,,,couldnt put my finger on it at 1st other Than it was Not stamped, lol. However after Knifeslinger's posting of what the small blade really looks like,,its quite obvious,,Thanks Knifeslinger
Kind Regards,
Mark
ZHoltz

Post by ZHoltz »

Feast on these Vintage NOS i just posted to eBay

http://stores.ebay.com/Mr-Picklefoot-s/ ... 1896199014
Ballenxj

Post by Ballenxj »

tongueriver wrote: Taken out my living room window without a zoom lens, February 8, 2013.IMG_1822.JPG
Schrade brand antlers? 8) Wyoming?
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

ZHoltz wrote:Feast on these Vintage NOS i just posted to eBay

http://stores.ebay.com/Mr-Picklefoot-s/ ... 1896199014
Wonderful knives!!!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Love this Thread
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”