SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Post by tongueriver »

thawk wrote:
ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Tongueriver, One more variation for you that I have seen. Most of the "ALL" Blades stamped SW knives do NOT pose a Pattern# on back of master,,,Interesting huh?
Kind Regards,
mark
True that Mark, and those are ones marked Schrade over Walden over NY.
Thanx, guys; I think I've got it, now; always glad to learn something new, even if it should have been obvious. :oops:
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Eric, That completely makes sense to me and I appreciate you bringing this info to my attention as I have often wondered about that.
Thawk, Completely Agree with you Sir. I just didnt put 2 and 2 together until ALL of you guys HELPED me to understand THAT MY REFERENCE BOOKS were WRONG!!!!!
I honestly cant thank you guys enough for this info Sharing as its all coming together UNIFORMLY now.
Tongueriver You have been an Inspiration to me ever since I posted my Schrade,,,I now understand why I caused a fuss,,,I was very confused and was NOT UP TO DATE on My Schrades as I needed and wanted to be. I do MANY MANY Brands of knives,,,So in essence I am like a "Jack of all trades & master of none, LMAO"
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Honestly Guys, I quit reading knife books about 10yrs ago,,,,I need to desperately UPDATE and Catch up & buy ALL NEW BOOKS. Any Recommendations???
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

The two books I find myself using the most are "Levine's Guide To Knives and Their Values" 4th edition and " Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings". These two books work well as a base reference source for us Jack of All Trades Master of None type collectors like me too :shock: Lloyd
Lloyd
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

If you wish to catch up on Schrade history, here is a small tutorial, as part of an ebay listing, possibly by a gentleman from somewhere in Asia ( :shock: ):

"SCHRADE HISTORY: Schrade knives are certainly one involving America’s finest knives whose features received value through nationwide and also the globe at the same time. Founded in 1975 by Stewart Taylor, your Taylor Brand names possess created, allocated and also created high-quality knives which have slept higher than the game. Having its technologically advanced components, carbon metal knives have been the delight involving Schrade knives. Hand-crafted together with utmost detail, Schrade knives have created a name that is certainly regarded all over the world.
Having a number of models to be able to appeal to diverse discerning style, the particular SCHRADE KNIVES customized knives in order to meet the requirements of the buyers who will be either enthusiastic cutlery collectors as well as first-time people that are impressed using its overall performance. Deals with tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance. Getting one of these is sure to keep the collection a single chef’s knife seeking much better. Schrade has been supplying knives for civilians and troops likewise going back hundred years ago. However, these people never have usually tried it under the parent firm they are now under. That they used to be an independent company and have already been doing this beyond Ellenville, New York since the year 1904. With regards to three decades previously, they joined up with Jones and Wesson within the father organization Taylor Makes, in the Appalachian mountains of Kingsport, Tennessee. Because his or her brand modified does not always mean Schrade knives have grown to be any a smaller amount capable of ending up being named among the best knives on the market. They have interpreted their unyielding good quality to the modern day manufacturing techniques, bringing about more offered, exceptional knives that any of our fantastic grandparents will be proud to obtain. Unfortunately, it wasn’t constantly an even path with regard to Schrade. Several blade hobbyists scrambled to acquire a common cutlery while that for series. Tiny do they already know Taylor Brands would likely rapidly choose the model upward off the floor, pull out their own graphic, and initiate manufacturing knives below their own industry name once more.

That old Schrade knives, LIKE THIS ONE, tend to be well-known knives using this brand name. It’s been useful for the particular military as well as legislations enforcements due to the sturdiness as well as reliability. It has saw-cut addresses along with dime increases. Additionally, it has an inlay safeguard where the old timers press has become engraved. Considering that the manufacturing involving Schrade knives was halted. There are only a few of those that you can seldom uncover and you’ll need to look up well on the internet and using specialized retailers to get a single Schrade knife."
Whew! Who knew?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

What.........the.........he**...........is..........that?!?!

Craziest thing I've every read, I'd say you hit the source region on the head Cal. ::dang:: :shock:
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

ea42 wrote:What.........the.........he**...........is..........that?!?!

Craziest thing I've every read, I'd say you hit the source region on the head Cal. ::dang:: :shock:
Too Funny,,,laughing so hard
Mark
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Mommy of gem?! :lol: :lol:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

tongueriver,
Where did that come from? I'd like to see the original e-bay listing.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

treefarmer wrote:tongueriver, Where did that come from? I'd like to see the original e-bay listing. -Treefarmer
I copied that out from an ebay listing some 5 (?) years ago. The knife itself was nothing worth remembering. It may have been either a Schrade or a 'scharade.'
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

10-4 ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:It may have been either a Schrade or a 'scharade.'
That's a perfect way of describing, I like it. Almost as good as slenderino.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Cal that made my head hurt ::dang::
Roger
Jimmyjam

Post by Jimmyjam »

lt632ret wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:14 pm As some of you may know for several years I was involved with the Schrade forum on Blade forum. For personal reasons and committment I no longer post there. Schrade and the history of this company are very important to me I do not want this history lost or forgotten. therefore it is my intention to show and explain some of this history. It is unfortunate that many of the present collectors are imbued with the idea that Delrin knives made in the last 30 or 40 years were all Schrade was. Schrade was in business for 100 years and for reasons mentioned some of the older knives were better made and quite beautiful many in materials not used for years Pearl, celluloid ect. Because of this I am going to start posting pics I will start out with relatively new displays however when ( if there is an interest ) and we get further back I will show the old displays and individualize the knives. Truthfully the delrin old timers and UH line will be available for many years to come they were produced by the 100s of thousands. Some of you may have heard the term Schradeaholic. I made that term up to describe myself I call it a disease and it is my intention to afflict any one I can with it to promote it and this history. If you are looking for a place to see these items ( again depending on interest ) this will be the site that has the goods. Starting now with a few general displays contempory to the 2004 closing. Again all this is dependent on interest. LT
Hello my friend. Love you passion and expertise. What steel would a uncle henry marked super sharp be ?
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Jimmyjam wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:46 pm ...... What steel would a uncle henry marked super sharp be ?
Have you got a picture of this knife?

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

::uc:: ::teary_eyes:: ::dang:: ::shrug:: ::td:: :x ::super_happy::
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

tongueriver wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 pm If you wish to catch up on Schrade history, here is a small tutorial, as part of an ebay listing, possibly by a gentleman from somewhere in Asia ( :shock: ):

"SCHRADE HISTORY: Schrade knives are certainly one involving America’s finest knives whose features received value through nationwide and also the globe at the same time. Founded in 1975 by Stewart Taylor, your Taylor Brand names possess created, allocated and also created high-quality knives which have slept higher than the game. Having its technologically advanced components, carbon metal knives have been the delight involving Schrade knives. Hand-crafted together with utmost detail, Schrade knives have created a name that is certainly regarded all over the world.
Having a number of models to be able to appeal to diverse discerning style, the particular SCHRADE KNIVES customized knives in order to meet the requirements of the buyers who will be either enthusiastic cutlery collectors as well as first-time people that are impressed using its overall performance. Deals with tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance. Getting one of these is sure to keep the collection a single chef’s knife seeking much better. Schrade has been supplying knives for civilians and troops likewise going back hundred years ago. However, these people never have usually tried it under the parent firm they are now under. That they used to be an independent company and have already been doing this beyond Ellenville, New York since the year 1904. With regards to three decades previously, they joined up with Jones and Wesson within the father organization Taylor Makes, in the Appalachian mountains of Kingsport, Tennessee. Because his or her brand modified does not always mean Schrade knives have grown to be any a smaller amount capable of ending up being named among the best knives on the market. They have interpreted their unyielding good quality to the modern day manufacturing techniques, bringing about more offered, exceptional knives that any of our fantastic grandparents will be proud to obtain. Unfortunately, it wasn’t constantly an even path with regard to Schrade. Several blade hobbyists scrambled to acquire a common cutlery while that for series. Tiny do they already know Taylor Brands would likely rapidly choose the model upward off the floor, pull out their own graphic, and initiate manufacturing knives below their own industry name once more.

That old Schrade knives, LIKE THIS ONE, tend to be well-known knives using this brand name. It’s been useful for the particular military as well as legislations enforcements due to the sturdiness as well as reliability. It has saw-cut addresses along with dime increases. Additionally, it has an inlay safeguard where the old timers press has become engraved. Considering that the manufacturing involving Schrade knives was halted. There are only a few of those that you can seldom uncover and you’ll need to look up well on the internet and using specialized retailers to get a single Schrade knife."
Whew! Who knew?
post above was in reference to this - Clint
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I posted that 3 1/2 years ago and I am still laffing.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

It the super sharp an electro etch if so it was like razor sharp on some knives. Which was not a tang stamp It could be carbon but more likey stainless. what is the exact tang mark? LT
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Here is a 172UH with the SUPER-SHARP etch on the blade, definitely carbon steel.
172UH.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”