SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
lt632ret

SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Post by lt632ret »

As some of you may know for several years I was involved with the Schrade forum on Blade forum. For personal reasons and committment I no longer post there. Schrade and the history of this company are very important to me I do not want this history lost or forgotten. therefore it is my intention to show and explain some of this history. It is unfortunate that many of the present collectors are imbued with the idea that Delrin knives made in the last 30 or 40 years were all Schrade was. Schrade was in business for 100 years and for reasons mentioned some of the older knives were better made and quite beautiful many in materials not used for years Pearl, celluloid ect. Because of this I am going to start posting pics I will start out with relatively new displays however when ( if there is an interest ) and we get further back I will show the old displays and individualize the knives. Truthfully the delrin old timers and UH line will be available for many years to come they were produced by the 100s of thousands. Some of you may have heard the term Schradeaholic. I made that term up to describe myself I call it a disease and it is my intention to afflict any one I can with it to promote it and this history. If you are looking for a place to see these items ( again depending on interest ) this will be the site that has the goods. Starting now with a few general displays contempory to the 2004 closing. Again all this is dependent on interest. LT
Attachments
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 11480 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (80.52 KiB) Viewed 11485 times
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (65.25 KiB) Viewed 11488 times
upnorth

The OLDER Schrades

Post by upnorth »

Your commitment is really appreciated, LT! Please go back, WAY back, and post the old ones! I'd love to see them on AAPK, and be able to discuss Cut. Co.s and Waldens etc!
This is absolutely what is missing over at BF!
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

lt, we can't buy books with the knowledge you have accumulated so i for one will put what you give us on a cd for my future reference. thanks for sharing.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

You better not convert me to a Schradeaholic!

I'll take my chances though ...Count me in as an interested observer / student. ::tu::

Bryan
LRV

Post by LRV »

Bryan,
Dont look now but I think you already are! ::tu::
Welcome to the club
LT,
I'm ready. Dont make us wait too long :mrgreen:

TTYL
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Here are some more of the most recent displays, from the last few years before they folded. Note the one display with Wenger ect. That is because at Walmart and similar type stores. Schrade was the display manager in other words there were other companies but Schrade got there product and was in charge of making the displays and exhibiting them with there product. I also included some pics of a set of the American legend series Buffalo Bill, Teddy Roosevelt and Macarthur. Also the factory brochures, these images in the wood frames were laser etched. I am just trying to do some random backround and show some examples before proceeding backward in time.

Now lets talk about being a Schradeaholic I also included some pics of my stairway. It also has become a Schrade gallery ( unusual wall paper right. ). Needless to say there is not much spare room in my 10 room house or the five small buildings and garage which is my domain. So needing a place to display these and needing to cover the wall this is now my stairway decor. These panels came from the Schrade IP originally they were used as the prototypes to show new products and the pics which were going into advertisments or brochures they are quite large, in glossy color and foamboard backed. Many of these hung in the main upstairs office at Schrade. I have hundreds of pounds of old patents and original artwork. and thousand of pounds of other old artifacts. Which frankly as one person unless the museum materializes I may never be able to conserve however for now it is safe and not in a landfill.

Should you ever acquire a similar group of pictures and decide that you also wish to have this type of gallery to surround you on the way to your bedroom each night I have several hints. First use velco not the double backed foam sticky tape to attach them to the wall. The next suggestion is that if you are married get a divorce because if you do not your wife will probably leave you anyway. Mine did. Trust me viewing these panels on the way to bed is no substitute.

Lastly I want to explain my somewhat cynical attitude and strange sense of humor and why I sometimes interject them into my posts. I really am not looking for a job as a stand up comedian and as you can tell am really not that funny. My reason is simply that I feel that while this subject and history is, at least to me a passion, I do not feel that with what is going on in the world it, or the rectification of the idiot laws that exist regarding them should be treated as the most important or serious subject in the world. Life can be depressing enough, especially if circumstances have relagated the important things in your life to being material objects. To me this study, or waking up in the middle of the night and creating a display to take my mine away from darker thoughts is a welcome and positive diversion. Being able to share this history makes it better and gives a sense of meaning and direction. So when I show these items or collections I do not do it for vanity, self edification, or to say look what I have got becuase believe me there are some quite simple things that I used to have that i would trade it all for. Well maybe not all I would still keep a couple of knives. In any event I wanted to explain this since I felt it important that the reader understand my motivations. It is enjoyable to me to share this history I truly hope you will find it interesting. Enjoy the pics. LT
Attachments
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (29.67 KiB) Viewed 11350 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (35.78 KiB) Viewed 11354 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (35.6 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (33.17 KiB) Viewed 11372 times
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 11378 times
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG (43.45 KiB) Viewed 11382 times
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG (51.33 KiB) Viewed 11387 times
MVC-014S.JPG
MVC-014S.JPG (37.33 KiB) Viewed 11389 times
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG (46.65 KiB) Viewed 11394 times
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG (46.5 KiB) Viewed 11398 times
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Most excellent... ::tu:: ::tu::

Thank you for allowing us into your home to share some history.

Bill

P.S.
You sure can get a bunch of pictures in one post. ::nod:: :wink:
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks very much lt. Your passion and knowledge is infectious. Since your arrival (and others posting in this forum) I have noticed a substsantial increase in my own interest in knife history and have developed a new perspective on collecting. The sharing of your experience, collections and sense of humour are much appreciated. :) s-k
4ever3

Post by 4ever3 »

lt, after smiling-knifes' post I dont think there is anything I can add, I just wanted you to know I am also an intrested observer ::nod::
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Excellent, LT. I add my thanks for inviting all of us into your home. Love the pics.

I see your Gen. Douglas MacArthur knife/display. Now I have found a source for a VHS video tape labeled Schrade, about this famous man. Was the tape part of the display, or did it come with the knife?

The tape costs only a $1.25. I don't know how many the seller has, but I was getting ready to make an order this week. I wonder if the tape is interesting enough, or valued as a Schrade collectible, I'd get a few extra for my friends here if anyone was interested.

Phil
Attachments
SGDM.jpg
SGDM.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 11319 times
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Whoa, LT :shock:
I knew that you lived, ate, slept Schrade, but I didn't know you wallpapered Schrade also! :mrgreen:

Seriously, it is an amazing display. Your house really is a museum. After seeing what is in the house (and I know you have only shown a small part of what is in your house), I am wondering what is in the 5 sheds you mentioned. :shock:

Dale

PS- Keep the pics coming. We are seeing things here that (unless the museum comes together) we will probably never see in our lifetimes. Thank you for sharing your treasures, insight, philosophy of history, and humor (such as it is) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Phil- That movie on MacArthur looks interesting. I guess the label is saying that Ol' Mac was Schrade Tough!
Upstream

Post by Upstream »

Lt, glad to see you out of exile and back if full force. Keep em coming.

Thanks Rick
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Schrade used the video tape idea sold with the product for three issues the Macarthur American legends, the WWII commerative set and the Colombus issue. ( these come to mind immediately ) I believe the WWII set was $2000 and the Columbus $2500 ( I may be off or have it reversed but either way big bucks for the average guy. These issues came in furniture grade display cases with white gloves the tape explaing the history the Colombus also had a book to go with it quite impressive as I start going through the Genesus of there products I will show these issues which are in my collection. The video was a nice touch in fact I gave Larry LVR copies of all three which he copied for his site you might want to contact him. Either the fellow who is selling them has a bunch from the closing or more likely is just running copies off. Either way the blank tape is worth a dollar twentyfive. LT
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Very good, LT. Thanks for the answer. The tapes are the real thing. I have ordered 20 of them. More later.
Phil
W5RWU

Post by W5RWU »

LT ,
Schradeaholic , this is not a bad thing as long as there are not 12 steps involved! I agree with Dale keep the pics coming and your wisdom on the subject thank you!
Randy
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

The difference between a Schradeaholic and a Schrade addict is like the old joke about the difference between a drunk and an alcoholic. Us drunks don't go to the meetings same analogy. LT
relodr36

Post by relodr36 »

lt632ret wrote:it is my intention to afflict any one I can with it to promote it and this history. If you are looking for a place to see these items ( again depending on interest ) this will be the site that has the goods. Starting now with a few general displays contempory to the 2004 closing. Again all this is dependent on interest. LT
LT,
You sure have succeeded in making junior "Schrade-aholics" of a lot of us!
I could have probably built a small house if I had devoted the time I spent on the old Schrade/Blade forum to construction,instead of learning about Schrades. Spending time on the forum was a heck of a lot more enjoyable,though.
Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing you information on Schrades,and knives in general! ::tu::
The history is really interesting and it is really nice to read about the era when this country produced almost everything that was for sale.
This one-world free-trade BS has really raped our manufacturing base and is making un-friendly nations stronger. :x
Great job !!
Thank you!
Ron
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thankyou all for you words and support it is truly important to me the Schrade Blade forum was originally a MFG forum which was virtually defunct when a few diehards like Phil, Larry, Bill , Don Luis, Glenn and a few others began to rebuild it ,it took several years with the help already received from the administration from this site and the people involved hopefully word will get out much quicker at this site, It already seems to be doing better than expected. In my particular case if I make a mistake or if anyone wants to know where my information comes from ( if for some reason I have omited it please just let me know ) I will never have secrets or support undocumented information. My reputation honor and mostly my word will always be worth more to me than any knife or in fact my life. It is not that I am so noble but it is really all I truly value at this point in my life to betray that would really destroy the only thing I value. Please tell your friends who may have an interest in this field to look in. Again thankyou all. It is tough for an old guy to get anyone to listen to what he has to say ( hell you damn near have to threaten to do it on the floor to get a bed pan,) so I really appreciate all of you. LT
nmikash

Post by nmikash »

LT-
Thanks for showing & sharing what you have. As a budding Schradeaholic I'm drooling over the stuff you've got. Its good to see some new folks stopping in at AAPK and the new knife lore forum. Don't hesitate to drop in at the other forums. This is the best knife site on the web IMO.
Nick
"A good cook changes his knife once a year-because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month-because he hacks."
[An excerpt from the Chuang Tzu]
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

The last couple of postings I have made on this thread I have simply shown displays which were in use or current when Schrade went out of business. While I have many displays which go all the way back to there beginning in original displays I thought that for this posting I would take one of the Schrade patterns and give some information and history regarding it. I have chosen the 4" folding hunter. This knife was produced under the Schrade OT line as the 123OT Pioneer, sawcut delrin handles and a single carbon blade, under the UH line it was known as the Tradesman or Maverick it was in stainless with staglon ( imi stag delrin handles ). The only predicate for this pattern was the larger 5,1/4" models produced with various handle materials all the way back to the Schrade Cut era pre 46. The production numbers years and other minutia can be found by anyone having an interest, in Robert Clementes book A Catalogue History of Schrade Knives ( Uncle Henry & Old Timer ). the purchase information can be found ( I believe ) at Larrys (LVR) excellant site http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us . I believe this can be purchased as an electronic book. While these two models are the most well known of this pattern in 1986 a special limited edition in Jiggedbone version was produced to commemorate the hundred year anniversary of the Statue of Liberty this came with a pictorial poster display case and a blade etched with a pic of the statue. Those are the three issues Schrade is known to have made. However what is not known is that Schrade also toyed with the idea of a forth model of this pattern. In fact to my knowledge only one was ever produced. While going through a box of items that came from the R&D ( research and development room ) I found a handful of parts I took these to a friend who worked several decades at Schrade he recognized it and resurrected it ( ie put it together ) . It was when finished it was identified & verified as original and correct by Wally Gardiner the ex president of Schrade and one of the owners of Canal Street Cutlery. It was explained to me that they had considered it to counter a knife case had just put on the market ( I forget the model I am not a Case person ( perhapes someone who is will know ) in any event the knife has a large rivit in the front which is part of an internal locking mech. It has on the side a locking lever reminesent ( but not the same ) as the old Schrade automatics. This is the first time any but a handful of people have ever seen this knife or have known of its existence. It is my pleasure to not only having saved it from being a lost piece of history but also to show it to the readers here at AAPK. I have included pics of factory brochures, pics and paper work as well as the actual artifacts. It has been a difficult posting ( I lost it once and had to do it over ) boy am I a computer whiz. In any event if anything needs clarification or someone wants some specific statistics please let me know and I will try to help. Showing all of this stuff is starting to overwhelm I will have to introduce it bit by bit. I hope you enjoy this study if you do please let me know otherwise there is no reason to continue. I realize to some it may be incredibily boring. To me it is the essence of history and keeping it alive and viable enjoy the pics and thankyou for any interest. LT
Attachments
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (18.76 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (17.47 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (24.68 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (30.6 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG (11.78 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG (37.4 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG (22.12 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (12.48 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (42.24 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (40.1 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

don't stop lc. i am enjoying your posts very much. take your time, i'll wait with baited breath :mrgreen: . history and your wonderful collection are well worth waiting for.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

excellent stuff LT, love the folding hunter patterns, excellent, just excellent. Love this kind of stuff
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

You are keeping me riveted to my computer, LT!
At my house, I hear from the other room " the house is on fire!!!", to which I respond "yes dear", as I keep renewing the page in hopes of another LT post!!
But don't stop on my account! The house really isn't on fire! (I don't think- - is that smoke?? Maybe my wife took up smoking, after 56 years. Yeah that's it; Boy that folding hunter is cool!)
LRV

Post by LRV »

LT,
You know the 123/4 pattern is my favorite. Thanks for showing those little beauties. The only think I have ever known wrong with the style is that it doesn't have a blade lock. Does the "special" slide also lock it open?
What is the handle material?
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Yes indeedy it sure does. I guess that was the point of the idea instead of incorporating the liner lock used in some of the larger versions. It really was weird actually I was looking for a blade to replace a 123, when I picked up some pieces of junk when I took it for repair my friend says I thought you were nuts for prototypes are you sure you want me to cannabalize this, that was when I realized it was an oddball, It was missing the non lock handle a backspring and I think a liner. So we discussed making them from scratch. In fact I authorized it ( I have no idea what it would have cost. ) Then when I got home I started searching the area ( you know crime scene search like we used to do when I was with the DOCS.) You know the area can you imagine what that was like on my hands and knees. piece by piece I found the parts the handle and liner the backspring was a regular 123 so I just dug one of those out that was the easy part but when I found that other handle in the middle of that pile of sh-- I mean valuable artifacts thats when I knew it was ordained for me to succeed in its being saved. Small things like this are kind of like spitting in the eye of historys losses or at least a small personal victory. Oh I know it is no big deal but something as stupid as saving a lost part of this history made me feel good as you know I have a lot of these types of lost bits of this history. perhapes someday I will be able to show and explain them. Untill then I guess I just keep putting up buildings or move out of the house. Stay well and if you get a chance perhpes you could list Robert Clementes address to buy his book. It really is a must for Schrade UH and OT models. LT

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”