My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
dweb1897
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Postby dweb1897 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm having a real busy day so just shot this one poor pic of what has to be my best mail call ever. I traded Herman some new SW's for some blade swaps and re-handles on some users and some pretty good ones...also bought a couple he had. I'll post some more pic's when I have the time to take decent shots. Asked Herman to pick the re-handle material....how good is that celluloid and the Winterbottom?
2 SW-787's , SW-863, S-863, SW-233, S-233, SW-163, SW-171
BEST MAIL CALL.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018

Schradenut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Schradenut » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:09 am

A great selection of well manicured knives Doug. Your collection continues to swell with more extraordinary cutlery.
Tony.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:23 pm

dweb, that rope knife with the ram horn handles sticks out to me. I think I'm right on the handles. Good looking group. ::tu:: ::tu::

jxr1197

Postby jxr1197 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Doug - WOW! Amazing group of knives there and I'm with doglegg on that 163.

This here is just a little advertising Office Knife that showed up today. It's untouched in the original packaging and it's stainless, which I thought was unusual for the pattern.
boxclosed.jpg

boxopen.jpg

bling.jpg

mark.jpg

pile.jpg
- Jason

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Here is a catalog cut of your nice knife.
749 SW 1953 office cat cut.JPG

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Received this HP-2 today (it is the smaller one) and am delighted. Problem: safe queen because of the etch or stick it into game animal 'parts.' ? Speaking of which, my ancient trusty schnauzer decided to take on a mulie doe today in our front yard, which did not go well. Fortunately she was not seriously hurt. Now I have murder in my heart for the mulie. We have deer all over town who have gotten aggressive at times. When the bucks go into rut, I start "carrying."
hp21.jpg

Mustanger

Postby Mustanger » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:00 am

tongueriver wrote:Received this HP-2 today (it is the smaller one) and am delighted. Problem: safe queen because of the etch or stick it into game animal 'parts.' ? Speaking of which, my ancient trusty schnauzer decided to take on a mulie doe today in our front yard, which did not go well. Fortunately she was not seriously hurt. Now I have murder in my heart for the mulie. We have deer all over town who have gotten aggressive at times. When the bucks go into rut, I start "carrying."
hp21.jpg

When deciding whether or not to store or use that knife, consider that it is from the 1997 Heritage collection, if you didn't already know. I don't think that the sheath is original to the knife though. VERY NICE KNIFE!
Attachments
HP2 Heritage.jpg
H000 Heritage Collection.jpg

Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Shearer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 am

Nice knife .I think I would keep it as a safe queen.
I think the sheath is right,but who knows the way Schrade kept records.If the knife fits it must be right.
If you keep a knife as a safe queen depends how one feels.It's your knife it's up to you.The question on all collector lips is use it or not.
Enjoy it.
It's fun to collect :D :D :D

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for the input, folks! I will put it away after a suitable time of fiddling with it. I have so many hunting knives I could never even get them all sharpened in my lifetime, much less use them. Mustanger, I sent you a pm on August 31st that you have not opened.

jxr1197

Postby jxr1197 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:15 pm

tongueriver wrote:Here is a catalog cut of your nice knife.

Now I'm curious what an 'office' blade is? Nice PH2 btw! I'm afraid to use any knife with an etch. I'd have that one on display somewhere.
- Jason

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 pm

jxr1197 wrote: Now I'm curious what an 'office' blade is?

I believe it is the same thing as a budding blade or a spey blade, in which case some ill-treated under-appreciated secretaries in days of yore may have wished to use it for one of those other purposes? (no smilie here).

Tsar Bomba

Postby Tsar Bomba » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:02 am

Following this thread can sometimes make me wonder "What's the use??" in accumulating old Schrades given the worlds of difference in class between my hoard and the museum showcases you folks casually trot out here. :lol:

jxr1197 wrote:Now I'm curious what an 'office' blade is?

The spey blade is the "office blade," I've always assumed because the radiused belly could be credibly used as an ink 'eraser' and would probably be the blade of choice for opening parcels as well. I noticed that the catalog listing for the standard "Office Knife" has a spey typical of the pattern but the advertising knife has a smaller pen blade in its place. Very cool knife,
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

dweb1897
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby dweb1897 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:51 am

Tsar, I for one am glad you do follow the threads...anyone can buy fancy knives, you bring a ton of knowledge to the table.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018

jxr1197

Postby jxr1197 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks Cal and Tony! I always appreciate it when collectors share the knowledge ::tu::
- Jason

Mustanger

Postby Mustanger » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Just an old tool that never got used. American made quality and craftsmanship that far surpassed the junk we find in stores today. In a small way the knives found in this forum represent a bygone era of American history when American craftsmen and workers, and American made products ruled the economic world and helped us to become the greatest country in history....Feeling a little forlorn and patriotic at the same time today. LOL A lot of talk these days about how in the heck we got here. Where most of what is in our stores came from countries that hate our guts. What were we thinking when we decided to give it all to China? That, is only beginning to come back to bite us in the ass and will soon become deadly! SMH End of rant. But hey! Have a nice day! :lol:

This tool fills a hole in my little collection that includes ones with the Ulster and Craftsman brand. (don't get me started on foreign made Craftsman tools and Sears bankruptcy)
Attachments
204S Schrade Walden.JPG
204S Schrade Walden (2).JPG

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”