My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
deltaboy

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by deltaboy »

Got and Cleaned up a very neglected 34OT. It took a ton of work.
Keep Near the Cross.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote: Here are some notes by "Codger":Michael Little, 3 December 2014: “You rang? Oh! A Sears Craftsman #9555 "Schrade Walden Saw Knife", a camp utility knife with a fifth blade, a saw added, made for and shipped to Sears in 1967! I love these things! Rare? Mmmm... that word does tend to get overused. They are pretty uncommon finds today. I have two of them.
Keep your eyes open for a Sears Craftsman #9561, another Schrade Walden, but an electrician pattern. It has the same saw blade added and makes for a very thick knife with three springs in the spring pack instead of the normal two and the extra brass liner, total of four. In fact, when measured across the butt not including the shackle, it is 3/4" wide.
Schrade Walden production records listed the #9555 as the "SW SAW KNIFE" first in 1967. The master blade has the Craftsman "crown" logo (matching the coined shield) and the number 9555. Mine came with a light tan leather pouch style sheath with "crown" Craftsman logo embossed on the flap. They were only sold for a year or so and in limited quantities. IIRC, a thousand or less were shipped. Nice find!
ETA: I believe it is indeed built on the Ulster utility knife frame. But at this point Schrade Walden and Ulster were pretty much one and the same.
As I said, both Schrade Walden and Ulster were made on the same tools on the same lines by the same workers. At the time, late 1960's, Ulster patterns were being dropped piecemeal and being replaced by Schrade Walden stamps and patterns. And of course Baer had a near lock on the Sears accounts. He had acquired the remaining stocks of Camillus by then as well so was beginning to have Sears knives made there also. The Sears buyers' loyalty was, afterall, to Baer not to Imperial, Camillus or Schrade Walden.”
I was poking around on the interweb and found this picture of a Craftsman 9561 complete with hinged box and leather belt clip. The box may give an indication of when this knife was sold. For sure a Schrade Walden era knife from the Ulster factory. I thought you guys might like to see the picture too and also my Craftsman 9555 camp knife written about in the quote. Other than a prototype or lunchbox special Uncle Henry 285 with the saw replacing the spey blade, I haven't seen that particular saw blade on any other knives. Just the two Craftsmans.
Attachments
204 Craftsman 9561 (4).jpg
Craftsman 9555 Camper.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I'm not really a Schrade guy but I picked up this 863 with Bone handles to complement my Camillus 72 collection. I was told that the jig of the bone might be a clue in dating it. Anybody got an idea?
Attachments
040.JPG
039.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Nice knife.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Greg, I have the Kon-Kav marked as being made from 1946-1973 although I think the 1946 might be a little early. I had it in my mind that Schrade didn't start making the 863 until the very early 1950s but I could be a bit off base on that.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jerryd6818 wrote:Greg, I have the Kon-Kav marked as being made from 1946-1973 although I think the 1946 might be a little early. I had it in my mind that Schrade didn't start making the 863 until the very early 1950s but I could be a bit off base on that.
Correct. Greg's knife would have been made 1953 to a small window of 1959 to 1961. I would guess closer to 1953 than to 1961. And what a nice one! ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

tongueriver wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Greg, I have the Kon-Kav marked as being made from 1946-1973 although I think the 1946 might be a little early. I had it in my mind that Schrade didn't start making the 863 until the very early 1950s but I could be a bit off base on that.
Correct. Greg's knife would have been made 1953 to a small window of 1959 to 1961. I would guess closer to 1953 than to 1961. And what a nice one! ::tu::
Jerry, Cal thanks for the info! I will write that down. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Looking back at your photos, Greg, I am not 100% convinced that the handles are bone. It is very hard to tell from a couple thousand miles away. Sometimes a knife with bone handles is so new that one cannot see enough of the distinctive bone features through the dye. That could be the case here. Otherwise it could be manmade material. You might need a jeweler's loupe or similar to crack the code, here. If it turns out to be Delrin your knife could date from 1960/61 up into 1973.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

tongueriver wrote:Looking back at your photos, Greg, I am not 100% convinced that the handles are bone. It is very hard to tell from a couple thousand miles away. Sometimes a knife with bone handles is so new that one cannot see enough of the distinctive bone features through the dye. That could be the case here. Otherwise it could be manmade material. You might need a jeweler's loupe or similar to crack the code, here. If it turns out to be Delrin your knife could date from 1960/61 up into 1973.
Cal I put to the 45x magnifier test first thing. It's definitely bone and more of a dark brown rather than black. I tried to show it in the sunlight here but its still difficult to see.
Attachments
20170625_162613.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

gsmith7158 wrote: I put to the 45x magnifier test first thing. It's definitely bone and more of a dark brown rather than black.
Charles Burns.jpg (Small).jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hmm. Just noticed the jigging doesn't match mine.
Attachments
^Schrade 863 KON-KAV (Bone) - Closed Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Hmm. Just noticed the jigging doesn't match mine.
Yours is probably earlier Jerryd it's got the peaches ed jig. My is more like this late 50's Craftsman.
Attachments
95141.jpg
95141.jpg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah, I have another note in my records that says 1953-1962.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I picked up another Craftsman 9494, aka Ulster 63, aka Schrade Walden 863. An older one with Bonite scales. A little faded like it was on display or something.
Attachments
63 Craftsman 9494 Bonite (5).jpg
63 Craftsman 9494 Bonite (4).jpg
63 Craftsman 9494 Bonite (6).jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Could this knife be a first year Craftsman 9494? I just learned that the 9494 number started in 1959. It is a pin through bolster Ulster with Bonite covers. The Craftsman crown logo was put into use in 1960, according to someone else's research on the matter of Craftsman logos. Other Bonite Ulster Craftsman 9494s I've seen have the crown logo. I gotta think that this knife is a first year 1959 knife. ::tu::
Attachments
63 Craftsman 9494 Bonite (6).jpg
63 Craftsman 9494 Bonite.jpg
Craftsman Logos.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good 'researching'. Likely you do have the 1959 issue knife. Bonite did not last long and most of the ones i have seen show shrinkage at the bolster junctions.
kj
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks, Joe. I don't think I have ever seen Bonite so good either. I won't get the knife in the mail until Monday.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I can't choke a good picture out of my camera today, so ta-heck with it. I added to my green Schrade collection with this two knife boxed set containing a 72OT pattern knife and an LB5 pattern. I don't think the guy I bought them from knew there was a sheath underneath the knife tray. I have wondered what the story is on these modified Skoal knives. Now I think I know. The printing on the shipping sleeve for this set says SMK2SK. I'm reading that as, Smokey Mountain Knife 2 Skoal knives. The model numbers for the Skoal knives began with SK and just had Skoal stamped on the tang. Guess I'm not the only one who likes the green knives. I'm fond of those shields too!
Attachments
100_1088.JPG
100_1096.JPG
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Nice set there Mustanger.
First skoal 72 I've seen . 8)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Adog

Post by Adog »

My newest Schrade with my oldest grandson ,have three grandsons and now they all have a Lance beaded knife set . Adog
Attachments
20170805_123354.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good job, Adog! ::tu:: Grandsons make knife gatherin' special!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great gifts for the kids! You probably know that there were only 2500 of those made for Montgomery Wards, as a Christmas special offering.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sorry Adog. I couldn't control my OCD. That's a mighty fine starter kit for young collectors-to-be. Way to go grandpa.
Attachments
20170805_123354.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

18OT has a brass liner lock
Keep Near the Cross.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

deltaboy wrote:18OT has a brass liner lock
What is the point in this "outburst". The Schrade 18OT had a liner lock, just like the 194OT.
Maybe a photo will help, describe an 18OT a little better.
Attachments
SCHRADE 18OT
SCHRADE 18OT
SCHRADE 194OT
SCHRADE 194OT
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”