My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by Chase »

That is a beauty, excellent condition! I need to find one like that for my gathering.

Tom
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Heck of a fishing knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Verry impressive. ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Minty and knice! ::tu:: Don't let that beautiful lemony celluloid get away from you. They are known to turn rogue.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks, guys. Truth be known, it's not real minty. My pictures nor the auction pictures show the discoloration on the back springs or a few scratches on the blade. I determined from a recent discussion with Dale that these were just cataloged from 1961-1963 with that blade etch. There are other 208 models with different blade etches including one for Craftsman that make one wonder when they were made. But the one to get is the Schrade Cut. Co. Fisherman's Special. It has a different style fish scaler. I found it in the 1938 and 1940 catalogs, and on ebay recently.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Mustanger - I like that #208: very fine knife. The scaling blade with the inch marks and very fine teeth reminds me of the current Rough Rider fish knives.

Here is one of my latest Schrades. An #804 With Schrade stamped on the shield. This is the only knife I have with the name on the shield - anyone know if that dates it to a particular time?
Attachments
Schrade 804
Schrade 804
Mel
KnifeSlinger#81

Dinadan wrote:An #804 With Schrade stamped on the shield. This is the only knife I have with the name on the shield - anyone know if that dates it to a particular time?
I would like to know the answer to this as well.
-Paul T.

Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Is an 804, tang stamped Schrade, Ny, a one year only knife? Did the 804 end in 1973?
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Good point about the tang stamp, Mustanger. NY versus Walden. I bet that if I really research this forum I will find the dates ... maybe tomorrow night I will see what I can turn up.
Attachments
Schrade8.jpg
Schrade7.jpg
Mel
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

The catalogs on schrades r us show the 804 in 1973, no catalog for '74 and in '75 it shows an 804 but has "DISCONTINUED" stamped over the picture.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Doug, that 804 is by far the best one i have laid eyes on. Not only that but you horse traded for it at the Oregon Knife Show. Well done my friend.
Tony.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The "Schrade N.Y." stamping was used from 1972 when Schrade-Walden" became "Schrade" up until some time in late 1970's. The exact date of the final "Schrade N.Y." is not known. Likely it was phased out over a couple of years time as already marked blades got used up.
kj
kootenay joe

Re: My latest Schrade/735 non-locking

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Schrade Walden 735 Stainless, aka "Marlin Spike Rigging knife".
This knife is designed to have a locking spike that is released by depressing a "Spike Release" lever. This is the weak feature of this knife. With many used examples the spike lock does not hold the blade in the open position, so a push on the open spike and it begins to close.
This 735 looks little used. The original factory edge is present. The spike does not lock at all. It feels like a normal slip joint blade. There is no sense of any engagement at all. To me it looks as if the detente in the spike tang that would be where the locking 'tab' would engage, has been ground off. i.e. this is not a case of frequent use wearing out the engagement mechanism. It is a 735 that was made to NOT lock.
Has anyone got a similar 735 ? or knowledge of changes in the Schrade Walden production to eliminate the lock ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 028.jpg
Picture 029.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Joe - that is a tough looking rigging knife. Looking at your photo I wonder if someone at the factory just forgot to cut the locking notch. Question: does the spring have a lock tab? I realize that is hard to determine without taking the knife apart, but it would be indicative of the intent of the maker.

Thank you for the info on the Schrade N.Y . stamp. I never intended to become a Schrade collector, but it seems that my collection is trending that direction.
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just found 3 more used S-W 735 Stainless knives in a container in the basement. All are just like this one i have posted: no locking engagement of the spike, not even a hint of a worn out locking mechanism. The open-close feeling of the spike is just like that of a regular slip joint blade.
So, did S-W at some point change this pattern to a non locking spike even though the spike release is still present ?
kj
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Mustanger wrote:The catalogs on schrades r us show the 804 in 1973, no catalog for '74 and in '75 it shows an 804 but has "DISCONTINUED" stamped over the picture.
To note something I observed a few years ago several of sheets in the 75' catalog that have discontinued stamped over a few of the knives are labeled Schrade Walden Cutlery. We all know that 73 was the last year for that name configuration. My guess is that some catalog sheets from 73 got mixed Into the 75' pile somewhere along the way. Couple that with your observation of no 804 in the 74' catalog.

Phil.
"Maybe were all happy"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote:I just found 3 more used S-W 735 Stainless knives in a container in the basement. All are just like this one i have posted: no locking engagement of the spike, not even a hint of a worn out locking mechanism. The open-close feeling of the spike is just like that of a regular slip joint blade.
So, did S-W at some point change this pattern to a non locking spike even though the spike release is still present ?
kj
Locking marlin spike = Riggers knife
Non-locking marlin spike = Yachtsman's knife
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K., so question is: did Schrade-Walden change from making a Rigger's knife to a Yachtsman knife ? and left the lock release there even though is was now useless ? (except for lanyard attachment)
kj
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

I have one of those rigging knives or marlin spike 735, and the spike doesn't lock on it. The spike release is a bit unnecessary since it can be closed without depressing it. I have to assume this is by design. All the release does is make the spike easier to fold closed.
Attachments
Walden riggers knife.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the early made S-W 735 were locking. You could not close the spike without depressing the spike release lever, just like you cannot close a lockback without first depressing the lock release bar.
So what happened ?
Why/When did Schrade-Walden stop making the spike lock ? Somebody here must know !
thanks, help solve this Rigger Mystery, kj
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Here is a Schrade I*XL that I just got. It is a big knife and very cool At 4 7/8" closed it is by far my biggest wharncliffe body knife.
Attachments
IXL_21.jpg
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yep, that Texas Stock Knife is an old Wostenholm pattern. Sometimes they show up on ebay and could be as much as 100 years old; i.e. i am speaking of the Wostenholm original, not the Schrade-IXL collaboration. both are the same size & pattern.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just found this old Schrade-Walden 225 with saber grind and carbon steel blades and rather nice original handles. Dis one she is pretty & rare.
kj
Attachments
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

kootenay joe wrote:Yep, that Texas Stock Knife is an old Wostenholm pattern. Sometimes they show up on ebay and could be as much as 100 years old; i.e. i am speaking of the Wostenholm original, not the Schrade-IXL collaboration. both are the same size & pattern.
kj
Joe - It was after seeing the Texas Stock Knife that you posted in your Herman Williams thread that I started paying attention to the pattern on Ebay. I really like the body of those knives and that very large sheepsfoot is unique as far as I know.
Mel
KnifeSlinger#81

kootenay joe wrote:I just found this old Schrade-Walden 225 with saber grind and carbon steel blades and rather nice original handles. Dis one she is pretty & rare.
kj
That's a fine, fine, fine example! ::tu::
-Paul T.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”