My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Coinfolio wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:00 am Complete newbie here but getting the " U.S.A. Schrade bug" I traded for this knife about ten years ago, I think just because I liked the buzzsaw, lol. Was looking at it a couple weeks ago and now am hooked on getting some more. There's something about Made in U.S.A. that is compelling.
Welcome to the forum!

Yep, there are some hard to find Old Timers in the "Made in USA" line-up AND I refuse to knowingly buy any of the china Old Timers. The "Taylor Made" Old Timers are also china made.

I read your other post below.
Yep, that is a good collecting method you mentioned. There are quite a few "scarce" Old Timers out there but if you hunt long enough, they will pop up eventually.

My "holy grail" for a long time was the 2OT ..... BUT, there are some early Old Timers that are "holier than that grail".....LOL.
(early Old Timers with bone covers)

Good luck with the hunt!!!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

Thanks Ken and Mike, yeah Ken those displays are great so I will keep my eye out. Maybe at a show or flea market? Mike, I used to collect coins (sold em off to help fund kids college) and the get the key dates first strategy worked out the best, thanks for the confirmation on that. It's interesting that some of the knives I have seen on ebay go for a lot more than the sold ones on here. Since I can't tell when the AAPK knives actually sold, it seems that prices are on the rise or have recently risen?
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Coinfolio wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:40 pm ...... Since I can't tell when the AAPK knives actually sold, it seems that prices are on the rise or have recently risen?
It seems like EVERYTHING has gone up in price in the last few months. It's crazy!

As far as older (or more scarce) knives go... it sure seems like everybody out there on the net have lost their mind! Knives listed on ebay lately, that should have $40 to $50 price tag as a "buy it now", will have twice or 3 times that now.
Of course, they will be listed 2 or 3 times with no takers. I guess they are fishing for somebody with more $$$ than sense.

As a general rule.... the guys in the commerce area sell a knife at a FAIR price. I'm not saying their prices are gospel. Be sure to do your home work and decide what you are willing to pay.
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

Mike, I thought one of the Son of A Guns 225 would be good because it kinda goes with my buzzsaw 97. On Ebay one is 359.00 but the one on here sold for 125, but I don't know when. Anyway, part of collecting for me is getting a fair deal so I am ok waiting and learning more. Figures now that I am interested the prices are zooming :D .
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

$125 is a fair price for a 225OT if the box is with it... IMHO
(That may be what you want.... I don't know.... box included)
The box adds a little bit of rareness factor.

I didn't pay that much for my 225OT. I got it from a good knife buddy here on AAPK.

Finding a 225OT is not an easy task. I have only seen a hand full of them for sale. There wasn't a lot of them made.

Then again, I wouldn't pay $359 for one. Here is my 225OT with some of his kin folk....

225 OT Son of a Gun.JPG
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

Thanks for the pic, A triple threat ! Just make me want one even more, my buzzsaw needs a buddy! I think I am late to the party :D
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

This Son-of-a-gun was only sold in Canada... Ken
PM me I may be able to help.
Schrade made a Duck buzzsaw knife, blade etch 2003. It was shown in a Schrade Flyer.
Like all 2004 knives, they will be hard to find.
Attachments
Duck 2.jpg
Duck 1.jpg
21 - SDU6CPT.JPG
20 - SDU6CPT.JPG
12..JPG
12..JPG (45.21 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:25 pm Then again, I wouldn't pay $359 for one. Here is my 225OT with some of his kin folk....
Mike, that's a winning line-up. I can't quite make out the tang stamp on the stockman, but I think it's a 61OT.

Prices seem to be high for all collectibles right now. That bubble will burst eventually.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:23 am
Mike, that's a winning line-up. I can't quite make out the tang stamp on the stockman, but I think it's a 61OT.

Prices seem to be high for all collectibles right now. That bubble will burst eventually.
Hey Dan...

The one in the back (against the box) is a 98OT "Ramrod".... Then the one in the middle is a 123OT "Pioneer".

The 123OT is another hard one to find. It is a small version of the single bale Hunter. I love the way it feels in your hand!
There is an Uncle Henry version and a few Schrade versions.

See this thread.....

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 64&t=70662

RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Here it is . Schrade #175 Grafters Knife
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Great-looking knife, RancherinAZ!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Another Old Timer came to roost today. This little 104OT is in better shape than my other example. I think I need to hurry up and procure a nice unused and boxed example!
104OT II Closed.jpg
104OT II Open.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

Looks good and great for EDC.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice snag there Dan!
Looks like your collection of OTs is starting to GROW!!

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Coinfolio wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:12 pm Looks good and great for EDC.
Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:02 pm Nice snag there Dan!
Looks like your collection of OTs is starting to GROW!!
Thanks, gentlemen! And yes, the collection is starting to grow nicely...it'll be a while before I have more than enough!
USN 2000-2006
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:06 pm ...it'll be a while before I have more than enough!
Ain't no such number as "enough".....

:D
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Picked up a couple older Schrades, a Walden 825 Stainless and a Schrade USA 893. Little blade loss on the Walden 825, the 893 seems full blades, looks about like factory never sharpened edges. Not bad for Delrin either, but am thinking they are a rescale project. Great action and snap on both and smooooooth operators.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210722_093414.jpg
thumbnail_20210722_093341.jpg
thumbnail_20210722_093432.jpg
thumbnail_20210722_093320.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Tongueriver here made me a really good deal on an older Craftsman branded Schrade; the (as etched) Custom Skinner, which appears to be based on the 153UH Golden Spike, but carbon steel. Sold as a user (and edge was good enough to be ready to go), but I won't use it much; maybe to skin my first deer if I go hunting this fall. If I lose or screw up a $9-20 Mora (Basic or Robust for work, Companion for hunting/fishing, Eldris for EDC), just buy a new one. This model seems respectably rare. But, I love the balance and ergonomics despite a very thick (about 1/8) blade. The grooves are a little big for my medium size hands; but with gloves on, the difference will be made up. I'm currently carrying it in a sheath I had that just so happened to fit.

I figure it's from the 1970s. I saw its bigger brother, which Craftsman called the "Custom Bear Skinner" that had the "ACA EDGE" mark; which I think is a pretty good indicator of age. I'm trying to figure out what the model number is, and years available. I've been poring over digital copies of Sears catalogs along the lines of 1970s and 1980s era 153UH production, and they seem to almost never cover fixed blade hunting knives--just anywhere from one to three folders (usually the "Gentleman's Knife" 825 style knife, a 4" Stockman, and a Folding Hunter). There is also an older version that has the same blade, but a leather handle, called the "Big Horn".

KIMG0043.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That is a BEAUTY!!

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:54 pmPicked up a couple older Schrades
Couple of real sweeties there, I-man
::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ivoryman and Cody, very nice pick-ups!

I received these yesterday: 100th Anniversary 33OT, 1992 giveaway 12OT, and 3OT, plus an Old Timer belt buckle.
Old Timers And Belt Buckle.jpg
USN 2000-2006
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very sweet, Dan, a nice four pack! ::groove::

When I arrived home tonight, this duo was waiting. If you didn't know, I love me some rope jigged blue bone. 😻
Attachments
IMG_20210723_180315895.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

You fellows are flashing some very sweet Schrades. ::nod:: ::nod::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:07 pm Very sweet, Dan, a nice four pack! ::groove::
Thank you! Your two-pack is also very sweet.
USN 2000-2006
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Royal, thanks doglegg, thanks Dan. Appreciate it. Feel lucky on the 893. I think it's unsharpened and looks like it's never been carried either.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”