My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by tongueriver »

893, clearly tang-stamped, in mint condition if you can overlook the fact that it has been displayed by someone so that the Delrin is slightly faded on one side, and that there are some specks which are basically microscopic. Blades are snappy with no play, and butt up to their respective spring ends square and flush, better than usual for a Schrade. I have not been able to find any trace of one of these in any of the Schrade catalogs. This is a desirable knife, not only for its rarity and its condition, but because, in my opinion, it is a great combo of blades. The frame is the well-known 3 9/16 "slenderino." Other representatives of the frame include the ubiquitous 897UH, along with the 825SS, the non-stainless 899, 895, K-77, etc. ad infinitum.
893001.jpg
893002.jpg
893003.jpg
893004.jpg
893005.jpg
893006.jpg
893007.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:15 pm It has been displayed by someone so that the Delrin is slightly faded on one side.
That's the reason I insist that my display cases, cabinets, and etc. are UV-resistant. Despite the fade, that's a nice 893. It does indeed have a nice pairing of blades!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

I like that knife Cal. Cool blade combo. How is it there is not more of these
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice looking knife Cal...

(personally) ... I like the way the mark side cover has darkened. It makes it sorta interesting and almost looks like bone in the pictures.

COOL!!!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It could be yours, Mike! :)
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well....
I have to give my wallet a little while to recover....
I better pass for now.

Thanks Cal.

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Received this one Friday. It was a El Cheapo but seller said it had good snap and just needed some cleaning and sharpening. It is a Schrade Single Blade Florist Knife. It has the SCHRADE CUT. CO., WALDEN N.Y. Tang Stamp. On the pile side handle it has the "Say It With FLowers" etch, and front side is etched with the Business info. It was dirty when I received it. So gave it a warm mineral oil bath, then cleaned with warm dish washing liquid before cleaning inside the blade well, along with the blades. They did have some rust on them. The blade has great snap, and a positive half stop. I just need to resharpen the blade now, it is quite dull. Here are some before and after photos.

BEFORE
Schrade org_a.jpg
AFTER
Schrade Cut Co Florist_a.png
Schrade Cut Co Florist_b.png
Schrade Cut Co Florist_c.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Holub 249, basically SW 204S in Delrin and wire strippers cut into the screwdriver; and a very odd pattern along the edge that I guess aids in gripping of screws and wire. Really ugly yellow Delrin. But, for a work knife, about as practical as it can get.

Along with the three-blade Craftsman with a wood saw (just missed out on one of those by five bucks!); this is one of the harder to find modern electrician's knives. This one is gonna be a shelf queen. Camillus is the brand of all but one of the users around here. The Utica/Klein are rough quality, and prices haven't got stupid on Camillus yet.
KIMG4390.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The three different sized serrations in the edge are for stripping three different gauges of wire?
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

tongueriver wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:49 pm The three different sized serrations in the edge are for stripping three different gauges of wire?
That is what I've come to believe, yes.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Shown before, but had them both out.
Cut co jack/boys knife
Walden 895 medium stockman
Attachments
thumbnail_20210520_113021.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Those are certainly worth a second look! Very nice Schrades IM ::tu:: ::tu::
Lloyd
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Many thanks Duffer, glad ya like.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Fine Schrades, Ivoryman! ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

tongueriver wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:00 pm Fine Schrades, Ivoryman! ::tu::
Thanks big time TRiver, and if you didn't know already, it was seeing all the incredible Schrade knives you and KSlinger post, and hearing about the qualities of the steel and jigging and craftsmanship of Schrade that got me hunting them in the first place so I can finally post a few. Even though they don't hold a candle to all yours and KSlingers, they are still some of the coolest in my pile as far as oldies go. Hats off to you and the others who came before. I'm just copying following the example of the great posters around here.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

That boys knife is perfect I-Man ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Gdog, carrying it again so I'll show it again. Have a great weekend all.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210521_161732.jpg
Cut Co. boys knife - Walden trapper
Cut Co. boys knife - Walden trapper
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin, i have a 3 9/16" 2 blade Schrade Walden that appears to be the same as your 893. However mine is marked as "825" and has a shield with "K-77" on it, Tang is marked "Schrade/Walden/Stainless/N.Y. U.S.A."
Do you know what the "K-77" refers to ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP1192.JPG
IMGP1193.JPG
IMGP1194.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

They used parts to make up a knife for Norm Thompson Outfitters. Price $5.
k77 (Large).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Cal. So is it marked "825" rather than "893" because S-W had spare 825 blades ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't think the 893s were made until a few years later than the Norm Thompson K-77 knives. And I don't think the 893s were in the catalogs. Those NT knives were Schrade Waldens (pre-1973). The 893 which I have does not have a Walden tang stamp.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Another Jeffin re-do. He put the wormgroove on. Really a nice little knife with great snap, action, tight, solid, feeeeeeeeeels great in hand.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210524_152411.jpg
thumbnail_20210524_152353.jpg
thumbnail_20210524_152507.jpg
thumbnail_20210524_141252 (1).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, your 33OT looks fantastic with those bone handles !
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Jeff does some great work!

That 33 OT sure looks nice with new clothes on!

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:13 am Calvin, i have a 3 9/16" 2 blade Schrade Walden that appears to be the same as your 893. However mine is marked as "825" and has a shield with "K-77" on it, Tang is marked "Schrade/Walden/Stainless/N.Y. U.S.A."
Do you know what the "K-77" refers to ?
kj
The K-77 was a code Schrade Walden used to signify the use of what they called Razor Blade Stainless Steel. They claimed it was able to hold an edge longer, but be able to be sharpened easier than standard stainless steel blades of that time.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”