My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by JohnR »

doglegg wrote:JohnR, I like that little whittler. What are the handles, they look good. ::nod:: ::tu::

Thank you all for the comments, doglegg they are bone, 804's have come in a variety of handle materials and colors over the years.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

koldgold wrote:This pair of Whittlers have nice bone scales. Ken
Very good pick up on those two. Love the scales. Beautiful. ::tu::
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

That whittler set has delrin scales not bone.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

orvet wrote:I picked this one up Memorial Day weekend at an antique store. It is a new in the box 194OT with the shield from Asten, a company that made felts for the paper industry. According to what I found for online history, this company started about 1890 in Belgium and then later started a manufacturing plant in Philadelphia about 1931.

When you Google Asten mostly what you find are knives, primarily Schrade, that have the Asten name on the shield. Apparently like a lot of other companies that produced felts for the paper industry, they also gave away a lot of knives!
One of the unique things about the Delrin on this knife is that it is much darker in color than the Delrin on most Old Timers.

Pardon the lousy indoor pictures, the shield is really quite shiny and it makes it difficult to photograph.

Schrade 194OT Asten e.jpg

Schrade USA Asten a.jpg
Ah, that's what that shield goes to. I've seen several of them in lots of Schrade parts. Most of the Asten Felts knives I see are Folding Hunters; both Schrade and Kabar. I guess chosen because the large size made it good for cutting the dryer felts.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I wouldn't bet on those being bone scales. They're the same as on the Schrade 206
s-l1600.jpg
I had Heman re-handle a set of those and mine sure weren't bone.
SCC Snakewood Whittlers 001.JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Doug, I will have to agree with you concerning the handles on Koldgold's fine whittlers. The handles are almost identical, mark for mark when you blow the picture up. The little darker lines look like veins just as the Barlow you showed. Schrade did a great job making them look so real. ::tu::
And your new handles are beautiful! Much respect for Mr. Williams.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

It is very hard to believe, Schrade made such a good fake bone for some of their knives. Ken.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I got this one out at the antique show today. As you can see, it’s a 834 Schrade Walden. I think the scales are bone but I wouldn’t swear it.
My new little friend kicked my Coast out of my purse as soon as we got home! ::paranoid:: determined little thing! Well, the Coast was a bit on the small side anyway. It seems I have a new EDC.
There are actually splits on the centre pin, both sides, but it feels pretty solid. I like it because it’s now the closest to my first, lost and lamented, knife.
86A19621-B805-487B-9372-A0C6B8B87B2B.jpeg
A5851064-35C7-4C14-BE45-0EF3EDCB4609.jpeg
49AFB995-09F4-4B78-8A47-74DD81B92E91.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice one Ann. That is the open stock forerunner of the 34OT ( Old Timer).
The pattern was actually a Schrade Cut Co pattern #8343 that was brought into Schrade Walden's line about 1947, at least that is the earliest I could find it listed in the Schrade Walden catalog.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And i believe it has Derlin handles. They shoulda called it " Darlin' ". Like "i love my darlin' knife".
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

zoogirl wrote:I got this one out at the antique show today. As you can see, it’s a 834 Schrade Walden. I think the scales are bone but I wouldn’t swear it.
My new little friend kicked my Coast out of my purse as soon as we got home! ::paranoid:: determined little thing! Well, the Coast was a bit on the small side anyway. It seems I have a new EDC.
There are actually splits on the centre pin, both sides, but it feels pretty solid. I like it because it’s now the closest to my first, lost and lamented, knife. 86A19621-B805-487B-9372-A0C6B8B87B2B.jpegA5851064-35C7-4C14-BE45-0EF3EDCB4609.jpeg49AFB995-09F4-4B78-8A47-74DD81B92E91.jpeg
A good find Ann. I think you will like how dandy that pattern really is, and the blades look to be nearly full. The handles are delrin so that would put it from the early 1960's to no later than 1973.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great find Ann. It should be carried. You have made it feel family. ::tu:: ::nod::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Thank you, gentlemen!
Yes, I think it’s now the permanent purse knife. My 72 resides in my LFP and has no intention of moving out. Rightly so. So the next honourable spot is the purse. I think between ‘em, I’m pretty much covered...well, if you include the rather large douk-douk that hangs out in the back of the purse. I got it from Charlie C and it’s not going anywhere either!
I kind of jangle when I walk though...
::shrug::
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Well my hawkbill wire handle pocket knife arrived today. I gave it a very gentle cleaning and I got quite an unexpected surprise.
First, here is the way the seller described the knife: "Schrade Wire Jack Knife Hawksbill Pocket Knife Vintage Rare Antique PAT 9-21-28. Condition is used, what you see is what you get. Thank you for stopping by and happy bidding, please check out my other items." The seller's pictures of the knife are in the "Specialty Forums", "Knife Lore" forum, "wirejacks" thread, page 6 and posted by me. After the cleaning, I discovered that there were etchings on each side of the blade. On one side it says, ATLAS BISON (over) BOARD PRODUCTS with a figure holding a board with a globe on top of it between the wording. The other side of the blade says CENTRAL FIBRE PRODUCTS CO. (over) INCORPORATED. Both are barely legible, but can be read with a magnifying glass. I did manage to get some of both to show up in the pictures. This makes a most welcome addition to my wire handle knives. BRIDGEPORT being spelled out on the tang stamp was a bonus also.
CLICK THE PICTURES TO ENLARGE. :D ::tu:: ::ds::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great score! I've been looking for one to add to my hawkbill collection. It looks to be in really good shape. There was a run of them with copper-beryllium blades (to prevent sparking; as I believe these were made for an explosives company) that you might want to look out for. There were very, very few of those made.

It's a really interesting concept, with the handle being pretty much all the structural and mechanical parts; which makes me wonder why no one's doing anything exactly like it today?
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

cody6268 wrote:Great score! I've been looking for one to add to my hawkbill collection. It looks to be in really good shape. There was a run of them with copper-beryllium blades (to prevent sparking; as I believe these were made for an explosives company) that you might want to look out for. There were very, very few of those made.

It's a really interesting concept, with the handle being pretty much all the structural and mechanical parts; which makes me wonder why no one's doing anything exactly like it today?
I'm always looking for ANY wire handled knife (not so much the scout mess kit knives) and now you have given me another variation to hunt down. Thank you, I think. ::tu:: :D
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

N W NY, you got a cool one there. Etch is a bonus. Excellent. ::nod:: ::nod::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I got this guy yesterday....
It is an Old Timer shield Master Mechanic (MM108)... same knife as the 108 OT.
I did a little research yesterday on the Master Mechanic knives.... It seems that Camillus made some of the Master Mechanic knives too.
My collecting interest (right now....LOL) is the MM knives with the Old Timer shields. Do y'all have any insight on the Schrade vs Camillus MM knives?
Who made the MM knives with the Master Mechanic shield? (both maybe? ::shrug:: )
MM108 Master Mechanic.jpg
Mike

I now have the MM89 and the MM108 with an Old Timer shield.....
(I'm sure there are others....LOL)
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
KnifeSlinger#81

Meridian_Mike wrote:I got this guy yesterday....
It is an Old Timer shield Master Mechanic (MM108)... same knife as the 108 OT.
I did a little research yesterday on the Master Mechanic knives.... It seems that Camillus made some of the Master Mechanic knives too.
My collecting interest (right now....LOL) is the MM knives with the Old Timer shields. Do y'all have any insight on the Schrade vs Camillus MM knives?
Who made the MM knives with the Master Mechanic shield? (both maybe? ::shrug:: )

MM108 Master Mechanic.jpg

Mike

I now have the MM89 and the MM108 with an Old Timer shield.....
(I'm sure there are others....LOL)

There is an MM3, shown here with its schrade stamped variant.
IMG_1343.JPG
-Paul T.

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks Paul....

I read somewhere that a fellow said he had a MM8 and a MM34 with an Old Timer shield.
(I am sure there were others...)
Like unto this guy.....
MM89 Master Mechanic.JPG
I also saw where there was an ad that showed SEVERAL Schrade marked knives with the Old Timer shield and all they had was the Master Mechanic blade etch.
Like unto this guy....
200eo9f.jpg
Then.... of course there are several shown with the Master Mechanic shield and a MM# on the blade. The MM# marked blade tangs only have "USA" on them under the MM#....
Like this here.....
mm3.jpg
Bad example.... this one also shows "stainless" but you get the point.....

Seem like that is the bunch I read were made by Schrade and Camillus....
(maybe you know....)

::shrug::
(I think)
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have been looking for one of these for several years. I have another one that is not completely original but ok, I guess until I found this minty perfect one. It is a transition 49r knife in the new 497 pattern, introduced in the transition year 1973. For a few hours or days, but probably not weeks, these came out with the old Schrade Walden 147 tang stamp. I love the pattern and this one just tickles me.
trans1.jpg
trans4.jpg
trans5.jpg
trans6.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Cal that's an amazing find, I think they're harder to come by than a 2OT! Congrats!!! ::tu::

Eric
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Don't forget the MM152 over U.S.A. tang stamp with OLD TIMER shield
MM152 MASTER MECHANIC SHARPFINGER.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
KnifeSlinger#81

tongueriver wrote:I have been looking for one of these for several years. I have another one that is not completely original but ok, I guess until I found this minty perfect one. It is a transition 49r knife in the new 497 pattern, introduced in the transition year 1973. For a few hours or days, but probably not weeks, these came out with the old Schrade Walden 147 tang stamp. I love the pattern and this one just tickles me.trans1.jpgtrans4.jpgtrans5.jpgtrans6.jpg
Not a bad looking knife Cal. ::tu::
-Paul T.

black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Big congrats, Cal, that's a gem!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”