My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Mustanger

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by Mustanger »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is a really nice Old Timer 98OT; truly mint in original box, only 1 bidder, me, $15 !
Here is an example of using Schrade+ steel in an Old Timer. The small font in tang stamping and brown box dates this to late 1970's ? please help if this is wrong.
Basically it is a 897UH with OT handles. Very Nice Knife !
kj
Gotta love those slenderinos, no matter how they come dressed. The only thing better, is getting a great deal on one like you did. I just got a free Cigar Box Classic slenderino. I posted it a few pages back. The seller wouldn't send it to me or reply to messages. Maybe because I won it for $22.50? Ebay started a resolution case against the guy. Three days later he mailed it. A week later ebay asked me how it was going. I told them that I still didn't have the knife but expected it soon. That day ebay refunded me the total amount including postage. Later that day the knife came in the mail. Free knife! But that still doesn't make up for ebay taking the side of a seller who sent me an empty envelope for $23.50 when there was supposed to be a mint condition Schrade Walden Craftsman 9560 electricians knife in the mail. :x
I have one like your's. They are great knives. Thanks for sharing!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

98OT was made from 1982-1997, a 15 year run, yet these are now not often seen. The 897UH is the identical knife with different handles and is often seen. 897UH was i think the 3rd most popular Schrade folder after the 34OT & 8OT. For some reason people bought the 897 rather than the 98. Did they really like the fake Staglon better ?
My memory of that time is that the UH knives cost a dollar or 2 more than the same knife as an OT. The common assumption was that the UH was 'the better knife'. I think people opted for the one they thought was 'better', i.e. the UH version.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Maybe part of the reason was because schrade seemed to frequently feature the 897uh in their advertising. It was likely a more well known model regardless of the fact the 98ot is practically the same knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Plus the Uncle Henry knives had the guarantee. And stainless blades.
Great score Roland, looks like it just rolled out of the shop!

Eric
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for the compliments. I have had Schrades in my life for nearly 40 years, yet this 98OT is able to give me a sense of much pleasure. Everything about it just 'flows' so well to make it such an attractive knife.
I'm now looking for another one to be my carrying companion.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is another very nice Schrade LB5, branded as "Colt".
Colt regularly has a knife manufacturer make a knife branded "Colt". I'm not sure if this is yearly or every few years. They have had knives made in Sheffield, Italy, Japan, U.S.A. and likely other countries as well. A Colt branded knife in my experience is a well made knife regardless of origin.
I don't know the year of this Schrade Colt but it is the only one i have seen so maybe it did not sell well ? It certainly is a nicely made LB5 with a sturdy sheath.
Has anyone else got one of these ?
kj
Attachments
Picture 019.jpg
Picture 020.jpg
Picture 021.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

My new, free slenderino. A Cigar Box Classic CSW98 posing with it's inspiration, an 825 Stainless. Both Schrade Waldens, by tang stamp anyway.
Attachments
825 SW + CSW98.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Gotta love those slenderinos.
KnifeSlinger#81

Mustanger wrote:My new, free slenderino. A Cigar Box Classic CSW98 posing with it's inspiration, an 825 Stainless. Both Schrade Waldens, by tang stamp anyway.
Those are great.
-Paul T.

thawk

Post by thawk »

Nice looking slenderinos. I have never seen an 825 with that shield.
Hal
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Those slenderinos are very nice knives. Mustanger. The shields on those are my favorite Schrade shield and I only have them on a couple of old #836 whittlers. The threading on the bolsters of the knife on the left is unusual.

Joe - is that Colt actually stamped Schrade anywhere? I think I have seen photos of knives stamped Colt on one side and Case on the other, which seemed a bit strange. Good looking knife.
Mel
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

thawk wrote:Nice looking slenderinos. I have never seen an 825 with that shield.
Here are a couple more views of the 825. No one else, including me, has ever seen that either. I post it from time to time to see if someone has. It has the mirror polish on the mark side only of the clip too. And jibbed liners.
Attachments
825 SW Bone (6).JPG
825 SW Bone (9).JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Dinadan wrote: Joe - is that Colt actually stamped Schrade anywhere? I think I have seen photos of knives stamped Colt on one side and Case on the other, which seemed a bit strange. Good looking knife.
The original sheath is embossed both COLT & SCHRADE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mustanger wrote:
thawk wrote:Nice looking slenderinos. I have never seen an 825 with that shield.
Here are a couple more views of the 825. No one else, including me, has ever seen that either. I post it from time to time to see if someone has. It has the mirror polish on the mark side only of the clip too. And jibbed liners.
That knife is the Bee's Knees. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Mel, "Joe - is that Colt actually stamped Schrade anywhere?"
Only front tang has markings: "Colt's MFG./Co. Inc./U.S.A."
As Calvin said both Colt & Schrade are stamped into the leather sheath.
The paper insert is the standard Schrade warranty and has 1991 on it which i think refers to the design of the warranty paper, but it does show that this knife is from 1991 or later.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks for the compliments. I have had Schrades in my life for nearly 40 years, yet this 98OT is able to give me a sense of much pleasure. Everything about it just 'flows' so well to make it such an attractive knife.
I'm now looking for another one to be my carrying companion.
kj
The funny thing is that you will be hard pressed to find a 98ot to tote that is in as nice of shape and cheap as the one you just got.
-Paul T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes it will take some luck to find another one. However one of the neat things about collecting Schrades is that new in the box, never used examples 20 to even 40 years old show up regularly. I think huge numbers of people received a Schrade as a gift and tucked it away and never used it and now so many years later it ends up on ebay, to our delight. There really are lots more never used Schrade USA knives out there.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:[ The funny thing is that you will be hard pressed to find a 98ot to tote that is in as nice of shape and cheap as the one you just got.
I know a really cool guy who has one MIB for $60 (shipped) :D . You are right; not cheap.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think $60 for a new in box 98OT is a fair deal & actually quite a good deal for the buyer. They are not common.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Heck I paid more than $30 for my 98ot and it doesn't even have the box.
-Paul T.

Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

My two Ramrods purchased in the last couple of years. Cost includes postage.
Attachments
$30.55
$30.55
$44.53
$44.53
98OT Ramrod (3).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 98OT is such a good looking knife. Just about the perfect pocket knife.
My old memory needs a little help please. Is the C641 3rd Gen basically the same knife as the LB4 ? Can someone post a pic of the LB4 ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Per your request. Not my knife.
Attachments
LB4--.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. As i thought, same knife, different handles.
kj
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

You're welcome. Very nice stable of knives, btw. I don't think I've ever seen the one with the engraved bolsters before. What's the story with that one?

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”