A modern fairy tale of good versus evil.

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
lt632ret

A modern fairy tale of good versus evil.

Post by lt632ret »

Once not so long ago there was a time when beautiful knives were made in a wonderful country that stood for freedom, honor and truth. It was a time when free men took pride in there toil and produced wonderful cutting tools which were like jewels and indeed just by there touch one could almost feel the history and pride with which they were created. Then an evil time befell this land, a time when the people forgot there legacy and for a few coins sold there honor and the history of there forefathers they forgot the generations who came before them the sacrifices paid by those who had left those places where there toil had been unrewarded they had left those lands for the great land of freedom and the fruit of there labors were the generations that through there honest toil was allowed to flourish. Oh not easily, no indeed, much of that steel ran red in far away places with the blood of those villians who would usurp the freedoms so valiently fought for and won.

When the snakes who had tried to rip away freedom found only defeat they began to usurp by more nefearious means . Those who had tried in vain to force the head of the eagle down instead pretended to be its friend, it feigned weakness to which the land of the free always extended help ( to those in need ) . In truth it was all just a ploy and just as in a shakespearian epoch the great land of freedom sadly only realised in time to utter et tu brutus.

I have related many times about what really happened with Schrade and there demise I am sure that what transpired is forgotten just as the Senate hearings on Chinese business practises of which Schrade was instrumental in causing to be held are forgotten. So to are the american business people who acted as the agents for these foreign interests for there own gain . To some who are reading this it must be confusing that is how this scenario was designed. The real history is almost forgotten even now just a few years after the fact.

Part of this Chinese cleansing of this american history and heritage was to acquire the Schrade company collection of knives, as it is many people even now are unaware that Schrade was ever an american firm. To do this one of there agents acquired this this unique collection of american artifacts under the guise that these items would be kept together and therefore would preserve this uniquely truly american memory. Instead upon acquisition the entire collection was brutuly shredded sold desimminated and scattered almost as it to eradicate its ever existing. I personally knew what was in that collection and was truly aware of its importance.

I have told this story before many times a while back I simply stopped posting about this situation, this and dealing with people who knew nothing, would lie , plagerise and misrepresent items so adamently and incessantly that they actually created doubt regarding certain objects and historys no matter how much proof was offered against what they said. This medium ( the internets greatest failure is that there is no way to reconcile with anyone no matter how stupid and wrong what they say as long as they continue to scream it some will believe it. ) I made a promise to myself that I would refrain from idle chatter which served no positive purpose .

Why then you must wonder why did this old man break his silence? To answer this I must go back to the original fairy tale. In this story the wonderful artifacts had been scattered to the four corners of the world this effort to displace any memory of the once wonderful history of generations of americans. I started collecting these items well over 50 years ago by the way I just turned 64 as the clock struck midnight as I write this ( man that sure sounds old ) anyway I was a peace officer for 26 years for NYS I then was an antiquarian, and historian for Schrade. This has given me a help in the task which I undertook to not let this legacy die. Before I continue it should be known that presently we have begun and have a state charter for the Warwasing Historical and Knife Museum ( Just down from the old Schrade plant ) . We are a fledgling organization not open yet and unfortunately it is a slow process. Unless of course you have benefactors like the Chinese govt or the largest knife store in the world . Which we do not. Also I wrote a bill now a law which allows for the first time a legal procedure for the display of automatic knives ( in NYS) . Some of you may know that I have a book out The Collectors Guide to Switchblade knives and since I own all the knives in it we hope to have the nicest display in the world when ( and if ) we ever open.

All that being said without the Schrade collection all of this would be for naught. However what our Chinese buddys forgot about even with there money and turncoat coharts is that Americans are tough. We are resiliant and this brings me to my reason for this long winded rant. Please see attached . This while a culmination and a step forward is but a small amount of the items I still have safely preserved from the mongolian hords and there turncoat minions. I have items that I may never without help even be able to sort through. However it is safe. These pics are just to give an idea of what I am talking about at least now I have a building for part of this before it was in every room of my house. I always think of the the analogy of some kid getting a Schrade knife from his dad 20 years from now and saying gee dad it is a beauty and the father responding yes son the chinese always made a great SCHRADE knife. It makes my stomach turn.

Nestled away securely in the same sleeply catskill hills and kingdom of Rip Van Winkle this cottage sits waiting and breathing as long as it does the villans have not won and the memory of those great craftsmen there familys and the american dreams lives. I hope you enjoy the pics. LT PS the corner stone was presented to me from the ex president of Schrade and is original from the old ULSTER KNIFE COMPANY the desk in the picture is Dwight Devines original wooten desk from the original factory. PPS Hello Bryan yes I am still alive.
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (38.67 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (39.25 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (39.17 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG (38.67 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG (39.45 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG (37.54 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (39.12 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (38.51 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (38.63 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (38.15 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
lt632ret

Re: A modern fairy tale of good versus evil.

Post by lt632ret »

A few more pics
Attachments
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG (38.53 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG (38.97 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-014S.JPG
MVC-014S.JPG (36.79 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG (35.31 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG (39.18 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG (38.84 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG (36.51 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG (37.05 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG (39.72 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG (38.04 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Still a few more photos stay awake not many more. LT
Attachments
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-024S.JPG (35.75 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG (38.45 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG (39.56 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-027S.JPG
MVC-027S.JPG (39.18 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-028S.JPG
MVC-028S.JPG (37.24 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-029S.JPG
MVC-029S.JPG (37.21 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-030S.JPG
MVC-030S.JPG (37.53 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-032S.JPG
MVC-032S.JPG (37.55 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-033S.JPG
MVC-033S.JPG (38.54 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
MVC-034S.JPG
MVC-034S.JPG (37.41 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Whoop one more late entry. Look close at the pics you will see all the scrims have there original dies used in printingthem also many of the tools ect used in there manufacture hope you enjoyed the views. LT
Attachments
MVC-035S.JPG
MVC-035S.JPG (38.22 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Outstanding collection, I like it! ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

LT,

Thanks for sharing ::tu::

Keith
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
big monk

Post by big monk »

I too want to say thank you sir,_________for sharing,the story and the photos ::tu:: ::tu:: really is outstanding !!!!!

And good luck,to your future ventures___________Monk :wink:
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

Well said, LT. ::tu:: And thank you.

BTW- Happy Birthday! 8)
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Happy Birthday young man! :mrgreen:

You are looking mighty organized and copious there LT, and if I'm not mistaken you have a better camera!
A monumental task is in the works, before our very eyes!
It looks like you are one step from a Museum!! I hope it all comes to fruition. Congrats on one giant step for mankind - preserving a corner of our history!!!
Charlie
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I have a better camera but, still using the mavica. Old tools are like old friends they seem to get better results with time.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Outstanding post and project and thank you for both.

I was in Poughkeepsie when I heard Schrade closed and drove right over and am glad and sad I did (I have a picture of the factory from that morning that I'll post/attach if I can figure out how). Working class knives made by working class people for working class people to use. The impact on Ellenville had to be devestating. Add to that a part of US history just seemed to quietly go away.

I'm 61, and along with you, will always "Keep the Faith."
Steve
Attachments
imperial-schrade-bldg July 30 2004.jpg
imperial-schrade-bldg July 30 2004.jpg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Happy birthday, LT!

Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
thawk

Post by thawk »

What a collection! ::tu::

Thanks for posting LT. Looks fantastic. Happy Birthday too.
Hal
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Rich, it looks INCREDIBLE! I'll be over one of these days to see it if my slave drivers'll let me out :x :D

Eric
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Looks real nice Rich ! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Lots of light in your little museum and I'm sure it's easier to see things without knocking anything onto the floor. :oops: :mrgreen:

Good to 'see' you again on AAPK.

Fran
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thanks for the eye candy, Rich!

I never get tired of looking at those. And Happy B-day as well.

Was wondering if you were still out there fighting the fight.

Glenn
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Sauconian wrote:Looks real nice Rich ! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Lots of light in your little museum and I'm sure it's easier to see things without knocking anything onto the floor. :oops: :mrgreen:

Good to 'see' you again on AAPK.

Fran
What'd you knock on the floor Fran?? 8)
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Wow LT! I go away for the weekend and you are back on the forum! Hooray! ::ds:: ::ds::
Great pics! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Welcome back and please keep posting.
We have a bunch of new Schrade collectors who need some guidance from the Schrade Master!

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Spiffing Rich, absolutely Spiffing! Love the way the collection has been put together in it's new home. The move was no small task, that's for sure!!

regards

Russell
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Wow. I just now found this thread.

Words cannot express how delightful it was to find, read, & view this post from you, LT.

Happy belated Birthday! Beautiful exhibit of preserved history!!!

Bryan
Bryan
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thankyou all especially Bryan it has been a while since I posted and I appreciate all your opinions. I am hoping that in the near future I will have some announcments regarding the project I have been working on which will bring you up to date. Again Hopefully it seems there are always time delays. Yours LT. Bryan should you get a chance please drop me a personal email I would like to discuss a couple of things . I hope you are doing alright. LT
ouhunter

Post by ouhunter »

Thanks for sharing LT ::tu:: Wow what a collection ::ds:: ::ds::

Love them USA Schrade's ::nod::
Lose you temper and you lose a friend, lie and you lose yourself!
Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian
ouhunter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Happy belated birthday, Rich! I am a few months behind you but catching up, I think. Thanks for everything you do; you're the greatest! -Cal Pruett.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

This thread needs a bump, it's a must see for any fan of schrade.

LT thank you for your efforts to preserve schrade and their legacy of quality. Wonderful collection.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:This thread needs a bump, it's a must see for any fan of schrade.
Agreed!!! This is a great story and LOTS of great pictures of the beautiful craftsman created cutlery!
(I tried to "click" a couple for a closer look.....)

Mike
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”