the FRONTIER Series

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: the FRONTIER Series

Post by orvet »

Sal,
I have found inconsistencies in Frontier’s numbering system before. I found a blade that belonged in a Gunpowder Black handle in a Sundown Yellow handle. This is not really that unusual.

I guess it stands to reason since they seem to have been made by at least three different companies. –
I have S-cards from Camillus that documents that they made some of them. I also have it on very good authority that Imperial made some in their Providence RI factory. I also have in my collection a Frontier that was made with the Swinden Key like the Old Timers. The only machines that could make knives with the Swinden system were at the Schrade factory in Ellenville.

So with three companies making them, someone is bound to mess up something!

Here is the 4625 as listed in the 1975 info sheets from Imperial Knife Co. Inc., Providence RI.
It clearly shows a drop point blade.
Frontier 4625.JPG
Here is a sheet that gives production dates of the various Frontier models. I do not know the source of this sheet, whether it was put out by Imperial/Schrade or compiled years later by some unknown collector.
You will notice that the 4625 is listed from 1979-1983, yet the pic I just posted is from 1975. ::shrug::
Frontier dates to post.jpg

Now we have to pause for a history lesson so this will make sense.
Imperial Knife Associated Companies (IKCO) consisted of Imperial, Schrade and Ulster Knife Co. This consortium was formed around the end of WWII, as I recall without looking it up. Albert Baer (the brother of Henry Baer –‘Uncle Henry’), purchased Ulster Knife Co in 1941. In 1963 Albert Baer bought out the last remaining of the stock in Camillus from the Kastor and Wallace families, after the death of Alfred Kastor. This made him the sole owner of Camillus Cutlery Co.

By now you are getting the idea that Albert Baer was a mover and shaker in the knife industry. About 1984, IKCO was reconsolidated to form Imperial Schrade Corp. I am unclear if Albert Baer was the sole owner of Imperial Schrade, or if this cleared the way for that to happen, but as I understand it he eventually was the sole owner of Camillus and Imperial Schrade, making him the most powerful man in the Cutlery Industry, worldwide.

OK, now back to these two different knives with the same model number.

I suspect that either the dates on the sheet is wrong and the knife is a mistake OR The pattern was changed later when Schrade started making the Frontier knives (and I do not know when that may have been, but I suspect it was in the late 1970s or early 1980s). Remember Imperial & Schrade were both part of IKCO before the Frontier line was ever introduced. The first knife in your picture looks like a Schrade 225 or an Old Timer 25OT. I imagine at the end of the model run they had run out of the drop point blade and finished some off with the secondary blade from the 25OT or the 225.

When the company was reorganized into Imperial Schrade Corp, it was decided that they would discontinue the Frontier line, as it was too much direct completion with the Old Timer brand.

There are a number of inconsistencies associated with these knives, I think it has to do with internal differences within IKCO and then Imperial Schrade Corp.

Much of this information comes from a Frontier collector who used to post here on AAPK as GreatScout.

I hope this makes sense.
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
69gto

Post by 69gto »

Hi Dale,
Sorry for not responding sooner -- just wanted to say thanks for the input. It's always good to know that there is such a wealth of knowledge available through the forums and solid citizens like yourself.
Best regards,
Sal
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

A new twist boys; I have a CRAFTSMAN USA #95091 just like the 4625 pictured above that I got in 1981,on the blade it is etched A.C.A. ANVIL EDGE rust resistant..Who made this for Sears???
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

tongueriver wrote:My notes at the time: Double Eagle Folding Hunter, measuring 5 1/4" overall. Has two stainless steel blades, one with the Double Eagle etch. And one blade is secured in the open position by the old fashioned 'press here' liner lock. It's the model 4625... The forty six referring to the pattern, the '2' signifying the two blades, and the '5' meaning that it has hardwood, stabilized handles. Included is the unique packaging these were shipped in for a short while; A little white cotton bag with instructions. Main clip blade is stamped FRONTIER, and picture of powder horn. Blade etched FRONTIER, and Double Eagle, with picture of two eagles inside a circle, and TM. On the other side of the same blade is tang stamped 4625/ IMPERIAL/ STAINLESS. Vertically aligned to the right is U./S./A. The brass liner lock works on this blade. The secondary blade has no liner lock and is a large spear. This type is very unusual in a 5.25 inch hunter pattern. The crescent nail nicks are fairly near the blade tips, rather up at the crest of the spine. The bolsters are yellow brass and have no lanyard hole. The one bolster has a cut out to access the liner lock PRESS area.

JUST LIKE THIS :?
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

DIFFERANT SCALES SAME BOLSTERS ::shrug::
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

I too have a copy of the Craftsman hunter with the spear and clip blade A.C.A. ( Amazing Cutting Action) etch, I had always thought they were made by Camillus totally. Seems to me I was missing the Imperial factory slant.

Russell
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Rusty; this is the beauty of collecting knives and being on this site ::teary_eyes:: This knife in question and most of my Schrades are GREAT hunting knives.I SCUN OUT A MOOSE WITH THIS PARTICULAR KNIFE,but for deer hunting I CARRY A Schrade 158ot and a 34ot all I need ::hmm::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a Frontier hunter I have. I hope yours is as well made as mine.
I am very envious of that big spear on your knife and the liner lock on the clip. Nice knife.
Attachments
001.JPG
Joe
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Yea, I love the spear, I put this knife up there with the Buck 110 +112 and the Schrade LB7.As far as being tough.
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

I just received this Frontier 4714.

It's a well built 3" lockback with great looking handles ::nod::

Keith
Attachments
4714.jpg
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Here's mine by IKCO for Craftsman 8)
Attachments
dscn1085.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

ozzie marie wrote:I just received this Frontier 4714.

It's a well built 3" lockback with great looking handles ::nod::

Keith

I have not seen that one Keith!
You may have something they were experimenting with!
I don’t recall those Staglon handles in the Frontier catalogs.
Awesome find & great lookin' knife! ::tu:: ::tu::

The 4714 should have had black handles.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

Dale,

The Staglon handles is what peeked my interest in this lockback. I was hoping someone would notice that they were diffrent than the other Imperial Frontier 4714's. ::nod::

This is what I love about collecting Schrade, Ulster, Kingston and Imperials. You never know what your gona find out there ::ds::

Keith
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

ozzie marie wrote:This is what I love about collecting Schrade, Ulster, Kingston and Imperials. You never know what your gona find out there ::ds::

Keith
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
That is what makes Schrade/Imperial/Ulster et al collecting so much fun.

As I have often said:
“With Schrade there ain't nothing carved in stone.
The best you can hope is for something etched in Jell-O.”
Dale
AAPK Administrator

knifetime

Post by knifetime »

garddogg56 wrote:A new twist boys; I have a CRAFTSMAN USA #95091 just like the 4625 pictured above that I got in 1981,on the blade it is etched A.C.A. ANVIL EDGE rust resistant..Who made this for Sears???
I have one just like yours Dog same etch on blade,Craftsman USA knife American eagle SERIES 95091.I also have a small 2 blade with the Craftman tang stamp that is just like the Oldtimer 72OT with white derlin.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Bringing this old forum on the frontier Imperial forward five years. I did not see one of these clasp type so thought I would post a photo. It seems when you find one they are in nice condition
moss
PICT0004.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Thanks for reviving this thread. We sometimes forget about some of the newer old ones. I've only got one and it's a bit used, but still a good user.
Attachments
FRONTIER 5" LOCKBACK 4815, 1980-1985
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is one, a folding hunter with a linerlock. I think the blade combination is unusual. If I can find it, it is available, with the original cotton bag and paperwork.
Frontier hunter001.jpg
b6b3_1.JPG
b6b3_1.JPG (25.53 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Thanks to this thread, my wallet is $9 lighter. In this era of victimization where nobody takes responsibility for their actions, I blame y'all!

Here's the Frontier 3-inch lockback in the All American series. This one had the original factory edge, but there were some linear scratches on the front of the blade. Click all photos to enlarge.
Frontier AA31
Frontier AA31
I presume this was a salesman's sample.
Frontier AA31 - Saleman's sample?
Frontier AA31 - Saleman's sample?
I really like the logo on the shield on this series.
Frontier AA31 - Great logo!
Frontier AA31 - Great logo!
Since I'm a low-end collector who likes to use things, I sharpened this blade, going up to 7000 grit, as always.
Frontier AA31 - blade is sharpened and ready to use
Frontier AA31 - blade is sharpened and ready to use
I've been carrying it on and off in my dress slacks to work. Nice and light, with a slender profile.
Frontier AA31 - thin profile
Frontier AA31 - thin profile
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

UDL, I am liking everything about your knife. Has a very striking appearance. Congratulations! ::tu::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Scored a real nice Frontier Stockman!
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Still hunting for a nice one.
Keep Near the Cross.
ohpossum

Post by ohpossum »

I recently picked up a Frontier 435 in Colorado -- best vacation souvenir yet. When I got it, the scales were dried and cracked, with a big chip out of the shoulder. I fixed the cracks with epoxy and a good oil, and patched up the chip with a turquoise/chrysocolla inlay. The blade has some flat spots but I'm working those out. The knife is older than me and I'm looking forward to putting it to use again.

This thread has been really valuable in learning the history of my knife!
Attachments
knife12.jpg
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Looks great! Nice repair job.
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Here's one I bought several months ago on the auction site for about the cost of a fast food meal, upsized of course.

It was nearly immaculate when I got it, but it's since sliced a lot of fruit, as you can tell from the clip blade.

Click all pics to enlarge.
Imperial Frontier 4132
Imperial Frontier 4132
Still in business, do you think?
Still in business, do you think?
What model is this again?  Oh yeah.
What model is this again? Oh yeah.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”