the FRONTIER Series

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: the FRONTIER Series

Post by orvet »

Here is a little Frontier I got in the mail last week.

Model #AA-31; 3 inches; ss blade; nickel silver bolsters & liners.
I like the shield that says 'The All Americans'.
This is a solid little knife.

Dale
Attachments
AA-31 Frontier a.jpg
AA-31 Frontier c.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Got me one of those 4515's coming in the mail. First Frontier for me and I can't wait to get it. Will post pics when it arrives. I didn't really know much about these until I read about them here! TD
A sharp knife is a friend indeed!
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

How long were the 4515's made? Thanks TD ....
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

TD,
I don't know the dates.
Perhaps Larry (LRV) or Eric (ea42) knows.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Dale - Thanks... I thought they were made from the mid 70's through early 80's but I'm not sure. I'll see if Larry or Eric respond or maybe I'll pm one of them. Anyway, it's a cool EDC. Thanks, TD
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I just found a list with the dates. ::ds::
The 4515 was made from 1979 to 1986.

I thought I had the info somewhere.
I had some time so I looked for it.

This should help, as I think most of the models are included on here.

Dale
Attachments
Frontier dates.JPG
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Dale - Thanks bud ::tu:: I'm going to save this one. I'm looking forward to adding a few more of the Frontier knives.... TD
gino

Post by gino »

TD where did you get yours from? I might like having me one too. ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Hi Gino, I won mine on ebay and it was the first one I've ever bid on. I haven't seen many for trade or sale here so that's when I looked on ebay. I received mine on Friday and I just got back from being out of town this weekend. Overall I really like the knife. It's a great EDC. Mine was in good condition but not mint and it didn't come with the box. Let me know if you get one! later, TD.....
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

They were pretty common on ebay about 5 years ago.
I bought a lot of then. With a quick check I probably have about 50 of them.
Maybe I can get more pics up of them and put a bunch in my store in a month or so, (too many other things going on at the moment).
The Frontiers seem to be popular as users and many of the used ones you find have some blade loss.
People seemed to like them and use them, much like the Old Timers.

I think Schrade dropped the Frontiers in the mid-1980s after Albert Baer got full control of Imperial.
They were probably too much direct competition with the Old Timers which was Schrade's bread-n-butter line. That is my theory and I know others agree with that consensus.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Dale - Thanks for the info. That would be great! TD ....
DONT44

Post by DONT44 »

Here is some from my collection. The 4131,32,33 & 34. A 4135 has already been posted. Enjoy, Don
Frontier 4131 Brown Staglon.jpg
Frontier 4131 Brown Staglon.jpg (36.62 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
Frontier 4132 Ivory.jpg
Frontier 4133 Yellow.jpg
Frontier 4134 Black.jpg
Frontier 4134 Black.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
superdavemack

Post by superdavemack »

I just got this very knife the Imperial Frontier Double Eagle 4625 2 blade folding hunter, I bought it at a consignment antique shop and it was'nt cheap but I love the knife, it's a very solid well built heavy knife, I don't know that I'll ever part with it but are these very valuable as collectable knives.....thanks for the pictures I have'nt been able to find but one other photo...I'll post a picture of mine later....when I get a chance.......thanks
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Superdave .... Great knives.... TD
69gto

Re: the FRONTIER Series - 4625

Post by 69gto »

Regarding the 46 pattern, I have two different "25" types: one has clip and skinning blade with nickel bolsters; the other, clip and spear blade, liner lock, and brass bolsters. I can't find any data in Frontier brochures or price list that support the existence on two different models of same knife. Did Frontier issue two different 4625's? I wonder if it could have been a factory error? For example, I recently found on ebay a 4622 in Gunpowder Black; actually, the numbering system would indicate that the material should have been Ole' Ivory.

Thanks for your input.

Sal
Attachments
4625_2 versions_A.jpg
4622 in gunpowder.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sal,
I have found inconsistencies in Frontier’s numbering system before. I found a blade that belonged in a Gunpowder Black handle in a Sundown Yellow handle. This is not really that unusual.

I guess it stands to reason since they seem to have been made by at least three different companies. –
I have S-cards from Camillus that documents that they made some of them. I also have it on very good authority that Imperial made some in their Providence RI factory. I also have in my collection a Frontier that was made with the Swinden Key like the Old Timers. The only machines that could make knives with the Swinden system were at the Schrade factory in Ellenville.

So with three companies making them, someone is bound to mess up something!

Here is the 4625 as listed in the 1975 info sheets from Imperial Knife Co. Inc., Providence RI.
It clearly shows a drop point blade.
Frontier 4625.JPG
Here is a sheet that gives production dates of the various Frontier models. I do not know the source of this sheet, whether it was put out by Imperial/Schrade or compiled years later by some unknown collector.
You will notice that the 4625 is listed from 1979-1983, yet the pic I just posted is from 1975. ::shrug::
Frontier dates to post.jpg

Now we have to pause for a history lesson so this will make sense.
Imperial Knife Associated Companies (IKCO) consisted of Imperial, Schrade and Ulster Knife Co. This consortium was formed around the end of WWII, as I recall without looking it up. Albert Baer (the brother of Henry Baer –‘Uncle Henry’), purchased Ulster Knife Co in 1941. In 1963 Albert Baer bought out the last remaining of the stock in Camillus from the Kastor and Wallace families, after the death of Alfred Kastor. This made him the sole owner of Camillus Cutlery Co.

By now you are getting the idea that Albert Baer was a mover and shaker in the knife industry. About 1984, IKCO was reconsolidated to form Imperial Schrade Corp. I am unclear if Albert Baer was the sole owner of Imperial Schrade, or if this cleared the way for that to happen, but as I understand it he eventually was the sole owner of Camillus and Imperial Schrade, making him the most powerful man in the Cutlery Industry, worldwide.

OK, now back to these two different knives with the same model number.

I suspect that either the dates on the sheet is wrong and the knife is a mistake OR The pattern was changed later when Schrade started making the Frontier knives (and I do not know when that may have been, but I suspect it was in the late 1970s or early 1980s). Remember Imperial & Schrade were both part of IKCO before the Frontier line was ever introduced. The first knife in your picture looks like a Schrade 225 or an Old Timer 25OT. I imagine at the end of the model run they had run out of the drop point blade and finished some off with the secondary blade from the 25OT or the 225.

When the company was reorganized into Imperial Schrade Corp, it was decided that they would discontinue the Frontier line, as it was too much direct completion with the Old Timer brand.

There are a number of inconsistencies associated with these knives, I think it has to do with internal differences within IKCO and then Imperial Schrade Corp.

Much of this information comes from a Frontier collector who used to post here on AAPK as GreatScout.

I hope this makes sense.
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

69gto

Post by 69gto »

Hi Dale,
Sorry for not responding sooner -- just wanted to say thanks for the input. It's always good to know that there is such a wealth of knowledge available through the forums and solid citizens like yourself.
Best regards,
Sal
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

A new twist boys; I have a CRAFTSMAN USA #95091 just like the 4625 pictured above that I got in 1981,on the blade it is etched A.C.A. ANVIL EDGE rust resistant..Who made this for Sears???
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

tongueriver wrote:My notes at the time: Double Eagle Folding Hunter, measuring 5 1/4" overall. Has two stainless steel blades, one with the Double Eagle etch. And one blade is secured in the open position by the old fashioned 'press here' liner lock. It's the model 4625... The forty six referring to the pattern, the '2' signifying the two blades, and the '5' meaning that it has hardwood, stabilized handles. Included is the unique packaging these were shipped in for a short while; A little white cotton bag with instructions. Main clip blade is stamped FRONTIER, and picture of powder horn. Blade etched FRONTIER, and Double Eagle, with picture of two eagles inside a circle, and TM. On the other side of the same blade is tang stamped 4625/ IMPERIAL/ STAINLESS. Vertically aligned to the right is U./S./A. The brass liner lock works on this blade. The secondary blade has no liner lock and is a large spear. This type is very unusual in a 5.25 inch hunter pattern. The crescent nail nicks are fairly near the blade tips, rather up at the crest of the spine. The bolsters are yellow brass and have no lanyard hole. The one bolster has a cut out to access the liner lock PRESS area.

JUST LIKE THIS :?
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

DIFFERANT SCALES SAME BOLSTERS ::shrug::
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

I too have a copy of the Craftsman hunter with the spear and clip blade A.C.A. ( Amazing Cutting Action) etch, I had always thought they were made by Camillus totally. Seems to me I was missing the Imperial factory slant.

Russell
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Rusty; this is the beauty of collecting knives and being on this site ::teary_eyes:: This knife in question and most of my Schrades are GREAT hunting knives.I SCUN OUT A MOOSE WITH THIS PARTICULAR KNIFE,but for deer hunting I CARRY A Schrade 158ot and a 34ot all I need ::hmm::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a Frontier hunter I have. I hope yours is as well made as mine.
I am very envious of that big spear on your knife and the liner lock on the clip. Nice knife.
Attachments
001.JPG
Joe
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Yea, I love the spear, I put this knife up there with the Buck 110 +112 and the Schrade LB7.As far as being tough.
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

I just received this Frontier 4714.

It's a well built 3" lockback with great looking handles ::nod::

Keith
Attachments
4714.jpg
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”