What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
wlf

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by wlf »

I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Fibestos was made of cellulose acetate, which was developed to be a non-flammable replacement for celluloid. It's basically in the same family, and although it isn't flammable the early products were not as stable as they are today and so degraded in much the same way as celluloid. Heat and moisture will over time break the acetate bonds, producing acetic acid (smells like vinegar) and degrading the entire handle. Fibestos was just a trade name used by Fiberoid. The product was also marketed by other firms, including Eastman Kodak for development of its safety film. I've got one of those farmers jacks as well, blades are minty but the handles are pretty much dissolved, with the pile side gone altogether. Might just rehandle this guy, maybe stag or traditional cocobolo.

Eric
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co Budder,Pruner 2.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Budder,Pruner 3.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Budder,Pruner.jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Great information Eric, I need to distance my knife a little further from the herd. I didn't realize the proximity of Fibestos to regular celluloid . I had thought it was just a very inferior form of plastic.

Ken Erickson used that budding blade as a model for the farmers jack he made me.

John Lloyd did too for the budding knives he gave me for Christmas.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Lyle, I don't think the out gassing of these handles is as corrosive as celluloid. I don't see any damage to the blades, liners, or pins on this knife. Celluloid would have at least turned the blades black and pitted at this point.

Those Erickson and Lloyd knives are absolute wonders!

Eric
truck

Post by truck »

I had a heart procedure in May and have been traveling steadily since returning to work. But travel means new pawn shops, and sometimes that means new knives. In this case, you'd be correct. First was a 100th anniversary 34OT, then a twofer: a 34GDOT and an 89OT from the same shop.
Attachments
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good catches, good fun and good knives! ::tu:: This post would fit slightly better in "my latest Schrade", but no matter, all good stuff. Thanks for posting!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a new old stock Imperial powder horn jigged bone Stockman! ::tu::

Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

12OT Old Timer ::tu:: Had to reprofile the blade!
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This thread is for "Old" Schrade which to me means Schrade-Walden and earlier, or from before 1972. The Schrade USA knives should be grouped and shown in "Your Latest Schrade". This division makes it a bit easier for someone searching for a specific knife.
Here is a 3 1/2" jigged bone Schrade-Walden 890 stockman. It has been used and professionally cleaned, lightly, not a 'deep buff' at least.
kj
Attachments
Picture 014.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I love those 890 stockmans. Thanks for showing that one. I have an 890 oddball, with a pen blade. And yes, I think this thread should stop short of 1973, but that is merely an opinion.
890 bone 3 pen001.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin might the "pen" blade be a sharpened down spey ? If you look at my 890 the spey almost looks pen like and it would not take that much to make it into a pen profile.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Calvin might the "pen" blade be a sharpened down spey ? If you look at my 890 the spey almost looks pen like and it would not take that much to make it into a pen profile. kj
I might think that a possibility, but there are extenuating circumstances that would suggest otherwise. I have two of these knives, identical except for minor usage condition. Neither has a pattern number stamped on the back (pile) side, but does have the U.S.A. in the mark side stamp. This MIGHT place manufacture date of circa 1953. Now then, even though I can't find them in the Walden catalogs, Schrade CutCo DID make them; they are pattern number 8923 in bone stag, 8924GP in Golden Pearl pyralin, and 8924AC in Assorted Pyralin handles. Here are scans of my other Schrade Walden:
pen010.jpg
pen011.jpg
and here is an example of the Schrade CutCo 8923 (earlier version):
8923 2 1.jpg
8923 2 2.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin this seems to indicate that early S-W 890 had a pen blade which later was replaced by a spey blade. Or do you think both versions were made at the same time ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Calvin this seems to indicate that early S-W 890 had a pen blade which later was replaced by a spey blade. Or do you think both versions were made at the same time ? kj
I think they were both made at the same time; the pen blade version is really just a holdover from the CutCo days and as you may notice, the pattern # was not stamped on the knife. I doubt if many were made, but quien sabe? Just for fun, here is a great photo of a great example, by our friend Hal B.:
$(KGrHqRHJEkFJYqElLFEBSbU!KLuMQ~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16J,!zYFIcS31TRgBSbU!Pv8fw~~60_57.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Cocobola bare head jack with arched stamp, 1904-c. 1917-1920. Cleaned to mint (haha) a long time ago and has re-acquired a silky lovely patina. Ferocious snaps and half stops. Some blade loss.
catalog cut001.jpg
archie001.jpg
archie002.jpg
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Lovely early Schrade Cut Jack Cal ::tu:: Beautiful Cocobolo handles really make this vintage folder come to life ::nod:: Very desirable arch tang stamp example. Thanks for posting photos.
Lloyd
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Beautiful knife Calvin. We don't often see wood handles this attractive or so 'clean', not dinged.
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Great looking knife Cal! I find that the wood handles on those vintage knives are always beautifully rounded, right to the liners all the way around. That's a bit of craftsmanship that you don't see on the modern jacks.

Eric
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Just picked this one up yesterday at a pawn shop. It has some flaws but I really like it. There was a Crown Zellerbach plant out in French town years ago, I expect it came from there. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0007.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce, that's a fine lookin' ol' Schrade! Always enjoy figuring out who and what the company was on such knives, not that I'll remember, but it's still interesting. ::facepalm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice Rope knife ! Are there numbers on the back side of tang ? I think it is a 136, although i get this # confused with 163 and 186, all of which are big work knives.
kj
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Thanks guys, I sure like it. When we were drivin' home Gordon says "jeeze are you lookin' at that knife again". But he's the guy that got me hooked in the first place, so he gets it. The tang stamp is 163. there are also 3 pins 2 steel 1 brass. From what i saw that makes a difference but not sure what. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0008.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice knife, good tool. Be careful; it has no mercy if closing on a finger! If it does't snap hard get some Quick Release. Get it anyway.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Can someone help me out. If this is a 163, what is a 136 ?
I am away from my knives so i can't go and find one.
thanks, kj

Edit to add:
The AAPK Schrade info from Dale in "Open Stock"
136: Lineman's Skinning knife/Hawkbill blade/4 7/16"
163: Rope or Hawser knife/large square point blade/4 7/16"

From the Schrade Cut Co Cat. E:
1361: Large Pruning knife/Hawkbill blade/4 7/16" (same as 136 above)
N1361:Rope or Hawser knife/large square point blade/4 7/16" (same as 163 above)

So in the Cut Co days 136 was used for this 4 7/16" frame whether with a Hawkbill or a Square Point blade.
The basic pattern numbers were carried over into Schrade-Walden days for most of the knives. However for this frame, S-W created a new number, 163, for the Rope knife version.

Easy to see how one can get confused as to which knife gets what number with this frame.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Uncle Henry small stockman ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”