What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Jporter1974

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by Jporter1974 »

Nice knives guys, I cannot find enough old Schrade knives to curb my appetite for them and I'm afraid it may never go away.. ::pray:: Why do I want so many... ::shrug:: ..picked this one up today, any ideas on the pattern? I thought it was the 8133 3/4, but this one has slanted bolsters..otherwise it's the same length and blade configuration..~Jon
Attachments
20190223_105348.jpg
20190223_105415.jpg
20190223_110856.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a few knives in which even the small areas without jigging are too dark to see any spots if they are there. We need another non destructive way of telling jigged bone from jigged Delrin. An old time Schrade collector told me to rap the knife handle onto the edge of your front teeth (mouth open, blades closed) and that the sound and 'feel' imparted are different for bone and Delrin.
kj
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:The jigging on the Cattle knife handles is not 'peach seed' but not all SCC with jigged bone have p-s jigging. Are you sure those are the original handles ? Pins look N/S rather than brass and bolsters are not threaded. However i do know that not all SCC knives are exactly as shown in catalog. They also assembled a few 'odd' ones.
kj
It is difficult to be 100% certain what is replaced (or not) on these old knives that have probably passed through several hands of ownership (lol). However, my opinion is that the 8563 is all original. The few old Schrades that I have all have brass components (liners & pins) and this 8563 has nickel silver components. Upon reading through the Schrade catalog E that I have (from 1926?) it seems like all the descriptions mention brass components so this knife is a bit of an oddball in that regard with the upgraded nickel silver components. With regard to the jigging, my understanding is the peach seed pattern came along later in the Cut Co era. The jigging pattern on the 8563 knife resembles Rogers jigging to my eye.

Here is a comparison image with 2 other older Cut Co era knives that do not have peach seed jigging. The jigging is somewhat different on the 8563 than on the 7563 and the R7973. I don't have a clue if this is significant or not. ::shrug::
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co Jigging Comparison.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is knives like this Cattle knife that make knife collecting so interesting and intriguing. Catalog images are amazingly accurate in times from before the printing of photographs and they are the authority on what a company's knives looked like.
It is known that all knife companies operated on a thin margin so nothing was discarded. A cutler might need a few more parts to complete all the knives in a run. Perhaps short of the usual jigged bone but has some in exact size jigged 20 years ago & slightly different but it fits so it gets used & a perfectly good knife is made. The customer who buys it in their local hardware likely does not notice the jigging is not exactly the same as other Schrade knives in the store. Or, if he does, so what if the knife is the size & pattern he wants. Same can be true for blades bolsters & shield.
There always have been legitimate factory knives that differed slightly from the others in a run.
For this 8563 a very experienced Schrade Cut Co collector is in the best position to pass judgement as to "factory" or "re-worked" as they will have seen many other 'variant' knives and can say it this one seems to 'fit' with those.
Maybe Charlie C. will see this knife and comment.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Jporter1974 wrote:Nice knives guys, I cannot find enough old Schrade knives to curb my appetite for them and I'm afraid it may never go away.. ::pray:: Why do I want so many... ::shrug:: ..picked this one up today, any ideas on the pattern? I thought it was the 8133 3/4, but this one has slanted bolsters..otherwise it's the same length and blade configuration..~Jon
You have true schrade rarity with that one, I know at least a couple of folks that were after that beauty. It likely had a different pattern than the straight bolster one in the catalog but there were many schrade cuts that were not catalogued. It's a pre peachseed knife as well, so probably around 1920's. If you ever get tired of it... :D

By the way the "schrade appetite" does not go away once you've got it. The old ones are just as good as any other top tier factory knife and the peachseed, blade grinds, and overall style of the cuts and early walden's are what make them the most appealing knives to me.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
KnifeSlinger#81

I've had this 890 for a little while but have yet to show it. A little more shiny than it ought to be but the edges are factory. I very much like this 3 1/2" stockman pattern. The spey is better shaped than most, more of a drop point really.
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG
-Paul T.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That's a great pattern, a great example, and a really nice photograph.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thats an awfully nice knife Paul, great bone.
KnifeSlinger#81

Thanks guys I appreciate it.
-Paul T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What a Beauty ! You 'guys' have all the good knives !
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Roland you have very good ones as well! My collection is small but getting there.
-Paul T.

ea42

Post by ea42 »

That's a fantastic knife Paul! Great example ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Two showstoppers in a row ::tu::

That 8133 with obliques is just awesome - congrats on that find! Also I don't think I've seen an 890 before but this one here has EVERYTHING going for it.
- Jason
KnifeSlinger#81

Thanks Eric and Jason.

Jason the 890's stopped forever in the early 60's, they didn't make it to swinden as far as I know. I prefer them to the 3 5/16" square bolster stockman frame. Of course there were a few cut variants as well.
-Paul T.

KnifeSlinger#81

I know, I don't need them but I just can't resist the jr cattle knives and the bidding didn't get high. Neither are collection pieces (thankfully I have that covered) but they sure are great for carrying. Tight snappy blades all around and the bone is still solid on both of them. The 856 is a pretty good one aside from the patches but that gives me an excuse to use it some. I won't feel bad about taking the ulster plumbing with me.
IMG_3732.JPG
IMG_3733.JPG
IMG_3734.JPG
-Paul T.

black mamba

Post by black mamba »

I just snagged this Cut Co Lobster, 2⅞", with complete tools and no cracks or chips in the pearl. :D
CutCoLobster1.jpg
The mark side has some nice figure in the MOP.
CutCoLobster2.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

That's a great one Jeff. ::tu::
-Paul T.

KAW

Post by KAW »

Knice find Jeff ::tu:: ... those lobsters are one of my favorites... especially from the old makers...
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Thanks Paul and Ken. It's my first lobster, but I couldn't resist it. I do have lots of pearl, though, it's a weakness.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I have an odd ball Jack Knife Shop, I think it was made by SCHRADE but has a different type Handles and no shield. What do you think?
Attachments
8105914F-A707-4609-8B5A-4F2CD4ABC333.jpeg
AE308810-DC2D-41BC-849E-AB6E9387C502.jpeg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I wish I could help you, Jacknifeben, but I can't. Two good looking jack knives there.

Here's an old survivor. 3 5/8" closed.
Attachments
DSCN7278.JPG
DSCN7282.JPG
DSCN7289.JPG
DSCN7290.JPG
DSCN7296.JPG
DSCN7298.JPG
Joe
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

I just picked up this SW NY 295K peanut off the bay. Very clean and snappy, makes me happy! :D
SW295Kcomp.jpg
SW295Kopen.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

As it should Jeff. ::tu::
-Paul T.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That's a beauty, Jeff. Butter and Molasses on a knife is like a li'l black dress on a woman. Well... probably not, but that's sure a pretty little knife!
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Thanks, gents!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”