What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JAMESC41001

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great 879. Im not a fan of that handle material but that knife is exceptional. I picked up this knife a couple months ago but have not had a chance to take any good pics. This is a quick cell phone pick while everyone in the house is pre occupied.
image.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

2017-02-25 19.22.47.jpg
Was the last one in. Schrade Walden N.Y. USA
Been a month or more but I have been working on it.
Getting it to look better and cut!
Looking for the magic penny!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Great 879. Im not a fan of that handle material but that knife is exceptional. I picked up this knife a couple months ago but have not had a chance to take any good pics. This is a quick cell phone pick while everyone in the house is pre occupied. image.jpg
That one is looking pretty minty, and these old Walden and CutCo 293s and 294s, are in my opinion two of the nicest renderings of a trapper sold by any company and any vintage. Really an excellent knife; thanks for showing it. ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Just got this 895, 1957 to 1960. The seller told the world it was Delrin, but I had a hunch... It paid off this time.
wavyredbone001.jpg
wavyredbone002.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Great 879. Im not a fan of that handle material but that knife is exceptional. I picked up this knife a couple months ago but have not had a chance to take any good pics. This is a quick cell phone pick while everyone in the house is pre occupied. image.jpg
James that is exceptional, and I love the bone.If you get tired of it let me know. ::tu::
Roger
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks guys. The walk and talk on this one really is something. The half stops. I am lucky enough to be able to own this one in unused condition. And I have to agree they were at the top of their game. If this is what people mean by the golden age of cutlery I understand why. That 895 is a nice grab indeed. Looks like it made its way into good hands. Happy for that. Rodger I'm going to have to hang on to the trapper for a bit. Those brass liners and clean springs got a hold on me.
Jay
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

I have a Schrade 895 and a 895UH.
The 895UH came in a brown boxed "Gift Set" with a "167UH Steelhead Fillet Knife"
I have them both posted in A.A.P.K's Knife Gallery.
The non-bone 895 has had 106 viewers and the 895UH has had 1211viewers.
My schrade 855 has had 136 viewers... Why so much interest in the 895UH. ?
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cal, i have a few S-W with the same reddish color in the bone which is not typical for Schrade bone. I bet the knives with this reddish bone were all(or mostly) made in the same time span.
kj
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Ken I would be interested in seeing an 895uh. I don't know how to navigate to the "knives display" where you have it posted. I did not know they made a uh with that # designation. Maybe that is the reason for all ghe attention it's getting. Love to see it.
Jay
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Ken I would be interested in seeing an 895uh. I don't know how to navigate to the "knives display" where you have it posted. I did not know they made a uh with that # designation. Maybe that is the reason for all ghe attention it's getting. Love to see it.
Jay
I would like to see it also; perhaps it is on another website he calls AAPN. This website is AAPK.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

On the topic of non-typical bone on premium stockman knives, I have this 825 Stainless with bone scales that I have posted before. No one at that time had any input about the knife. It appears to have the same kind of standard bone jigging that old 895 knives have and an 'odd for pattern' type of shield. (except for '04 Cigar Box Classics) Does anyone know anything about this knife? I'm not familiar with any 825 from the old days with bone. Do any of the experts here know?
Attachments
825 SW Bone (3).jpg
825 SW Bone (4).jpg
825 SW Bone (6).JPG
825 SW Bone (7).JPG
825 SW Bone (11).JPG
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

As an expert in this particular field, I can tell you thats a cool knife.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Wow! Grail knife right there. Absolutely stunning.
tongueriver wrote:Just got this 895, 1957 to 1960. The seller told the world it was Delrin, but I had a hunch... It paid off this time.
wavyredbone001.jpg
wavyredbone002.jpg
I think that's the same one I had my eye on, but too many other things were going on to get it. Glad to see it in the hands of a fellow schrade man.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

JAMESC41001 wrote:As an expert in this particular field, I can tell you thats a cool knife.
THAT'S IT?? :lol:
Just kidding.

I'm a small time, low budget collector and that 825 is a real gem in my little collection. Whenever you or tongueriver post a rare beauty like the ones above, I pull out that 825 and stroke it gently with a soft cloth to make me feel better. :lol:

I'm interested in the 825s and curious about the non-stainless versions I've only heard about and not seen and other variations and tang stamps over time. I don't have a clue about that one other than, as you said, it's a cool knife. Maybe a special order, with that shield and one side of the clip blade mirror polished? I got lucky on that one.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Ken I would be interested in seeing an 895uh. I don't know how to navigate to the "knives display" where you have it posted. I did not know they made a uh with that # designation. Maybe that is the reason for all ghe attention it's getting. Love to see it.
Jay
Sorry about the AAKN, my short cut to AAPK is set at AAPN. ::facepalm::
You can find the 895UH in AAPK's Gallery... Ken
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... image/4166
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 624/source
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Ken, I have that set. Like mine yours says 897uh on the insert. Does the stamp on the knife say 895. I can't see from the pic. Looks like an 897 to me. I am easily confused but not sure what's going on here for sure.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mustanger wrote:On the topic of non-typical bone on premium stockman knives, I have this 825 Stainless with bone scales that I have posted before. No one at that time had any input about the knife. It appears to have the same kind of standard bone jigging that old 895 knives have and an 'odd for pattern' type of shield. (except for '04 Cigar Box Classics) Does anyone know anything about this knife? I'm not familiar with any 825 from the old days with bone. Do any of the experts here know?
The 836 and 837 whittlers used that shield. I call it a 'crusader' shield because it looks like a common type of fighting shields used by the crusaders. I have never heard of an 825 that was not stainless; I believe that defines the pattern. However I have seen other early 825s with bone handles. They apparently first appeared in the catalogs in 1953 so they did make some boners :D .
825 early bone001.jpg
825 early bone002.jpg
825 early bone003.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Ken, I have that set. Like mine yours says 897uh on the insert. Does the stamp on the knife say 895. I can't see from the pic. Looks like an 897 to me. I am easily confused but not sure what's going on here for sure.
I have a set. 897 on the tang.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote: The 836 and 837 whittlers used that shield. I call it a 'crusader' shield because it looks like a common type of fighting shields used by the crusaders. I have never heard of an 825 that was not stainless; I believe that defines the pattern. However I have seen other early 825s with bone handles. They apparently first appeared in the catalogs in 1953 so they did make some boners :D .
Thanks. I hadn't looked into it to see if Schrade ever cataloged a bone 825. I just know I haven't ever seen one except mine. I may have overlooked one thinking it was something else from the picture. I have seen that shield, but not often and not on a slenderino that I remember. I gotta get me one of those Cigar Box Classics some day.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

tongueriver wrote:
JAMESC41001 wrote:Ken, I have that set. Like mine yours says 897uh on the insert. Does the stamp on the knife say 895. I can't see from the pic. Looks like an 897 to me. I am easily confused but not sure what's going on here for sure.
I have a set. 897 on the tang.
All I can say in defence of my "one of a kind Uncale Henery" and the AAKNs.
I'm old, half blind and dislexic.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

No worries Ken, I make these mistakes all the time with no ligitimate excuse. Don't know if you took notice but there is a bone handle 895 in pretty good shape at a reasonable price for auction. 201833033559
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Looking closer. I'm not sure that is jigged bone???
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Looking closer. I'm not sure that is jigged bone???
It is bone, without a doubt. Decent price too, I got a nice bone 899 from that seller.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

Finally got a Trapper, I really like this knife. Will be in my pocket tomorrow, and im sure many more days following.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Pre-war. Pattern S8373 (page 21 of catalog E reprint). SFO for JKB shop.
jkb1.jpg
jkb4.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”