My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by treefarmer »

That is a beauty! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Very knice !
::nod::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up 2 Schrade LB7's at a flea market this morning with belt sheaths for 20 bucks, look to have factory edges, do have to clean deer hair and tissue out of one.
Attachments
IMG_0710.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RalphAlsip wrote:Recently I found a nice Schrade SS8173 3 5/8" cattle knife. The blades are almost full and the functionality is good, but the front scale had fallen off. Today I got the knife back from Mr. Herman Williams with 2 new scales and a touch up on the blades. To fix defects (pits) in the blades Herman applied a PMS (Polished Mark Side) finish to the blades. I am thrilled with the work, which is no surprise given who did the work.
Wow Jerry, absolutely wonderful, typical Herman. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

doglegg wrote:
RalphAlsip wrote:Recently I found a nice Schrade SS8173 3 5/8" cattle knife. The blades are almost full and the functionality is good, but the front scale had fallen off. Today I got the knife back from Mr. Herman Williams with 2 new scales and a touch up on the blades. To fix defects (pits) in the blades Herman applied a PMS (Polished Mark Side) finish to the blades. I am thrilled with the work, which is no surprise given who did the work.
Wow Jerry, absolutely wonderful, typical Herman. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Great example of a great pattern. Love that pen blade combo. Herman always makes his people happy. What a great guy!
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

Here’s a Cut Co barehead jack in real nice condition.
5D72B15F-C41D-4CC2-8CFB-779129E6AB46.jpeg
26FC6ADD-3CB6-49E4-8784-6F0CBDEF2E25.jpeg
Nick
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

JohnR wrote:Picked up 2 Schrade LB7's at a flea market this morning with belt sheaths for 20 bucks, look to have factory edges, do have to clean deer hair and tissue out of one.
Great score! I've been meaning to pick up one myself, but haven't quite yet. I have really enjoyed messing with the knives various makers, in the 1970s, came out with to compete with the 110. So far, my favorite is the Gerber Folding Sportsman II. Slim and light, and holds an edge for forever. The weird shape of the Brownings make them a really bad utility folder--they're best at what they're designed for--hunting.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I found this Copenhagen Schrade at an antique store today, new in the box with paperwork! I love the serrated blade! Any idea on it's age?
Attachments
20190824_202756_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Byrd wrote:I found this Copenhagen Schrade at an antique store today, new in the box with paperwork! I love the serrated blade! Any idea on it's age?
It's 24 years old:

COPE33 - Black Sawcut Delrin handle, brass bolsters, special scalloped high carbon sheepfoot blade with can opening tip, "Copenhagen Snuff" etched high carbon clip blade, antiqued brass copenhagen shield, Schrade/Cope USA tangstamp COPE33, Ship Start Jan. 1995 - 100,000 pcs.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Appreciate the info! bladecollector. Do you happen to know how these were distributed, places like Walmart or Kmart or knife shops?
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Is a SCHRADE with a scrimshaw cowboy on the handle any value 183853859982?
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

Jacknifeben wrote:Is a SCHRADE with a scrimshaw cowboy on the handle any value 183853859982?
A long time ago when I was out of work with bills piling up I took a shot at selling cars - and I was terrible at it. There was an expression heard around the lot that goes 'there's an ass for every seat.' Cowboy scrimshaws are not for me but somebody is just itching to get behind the wheel of that thing. It's got value to at least the 6 watchers currently on that auction. I think ebay past sales is the best way to figure out its worth.
- Jason
bladecollectorr

Byrd wrote:Appreciate the info! bladecollector. Do you happen to know how these were distributed, places like Walmart or Kmart or knife shops?
Good question! United States Tobacco (the parent company) were Schrade's customer and they distributed the knives. The super fancy ones were given away to VIPs at different events that UST was sponsoring. Others would be available for purchase at these sponsored events. The standard delrin ones produced by the many thousands were, iirc, a mail-in deal. Send in so many proofs of purchase and so much money and you get a UST knife to go with your can of dip.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. I'm going by memory.

Here's the list. There were lots of them!

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=23377&p=201090&hilit=ust#p201090
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thanks bladecollector! It makes sense that they were an advertising/promotional item. Now that I think about it a LOT of companies advertised their products that way.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Byrd wrote:I found this Copenhagen Schrade at an antique store today, new in the box with paperwork! I love the serrated blade! Any idea on it's age?
I like those serrations as well. Part of the reason I've looked at this one for years. Most of my more modern design Schrades (Tough Tool, Cliphangers) use them and they have no trouble getting through tough materials. I just don't know why the 89OT still used Wonda Edge when for most of its life, Schrade used those heavily aggressive serrations? Because the 89OT is carbon steel?
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Nick, that barehead Cut Co is super nice! I managed to snag a nice SW #172UH Bear Hunter from 1971-'72 in very good shape.
SW172UHsheath.jpg
SW172UHserial.jpg
bladecollectorr

black mamba wrote:Nick, that barehead Cut Co is super nice! I managed to snag a nice SW #172UH Bear Hunter from 1971-'72 in very good shape.

SW172UHsheath.jpg
SW172UHserial.jpg
Nice fixed blade! Just to nitpick, I think it was called the "Bear Skinner" and it's in the 1971-1973 catalogs so your knife could be a year younger.

http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Cata ... 3-CATS.pdf

In case you haven't seen it here's a link about the very similar 1973 Imperial "Kit Carson" knife. You may want to look out for one if you like the style. I like how a cheap plastic or vinyl sheath could be a selling point back then indicating improved futuristic design. "Inorganic moisture-proof sheath." I've held this Imperial in person and that sheath is about as crappy as it gets lol. Solid knife though.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... /I73-2.jpg
Kai76

Post by Kai76 »

black mamba wrote:Nick, that barehead Cut Co is super nice! I managed to snag a nice SW #172UH Bear Hunter from 1971-'72 in very good shape.

SW172UHsheath.jpg
SW172UHserial.jpg
Thanks Jeff. Congrats on your new hunter! The only fixed blades I’ve ever had were the couple cheapo ones my father bought me when I was a kid after watching Rambo. :lol: Haven’t bought any since but have been feeling the itch lately.
Hak1911

Post by Hak1911 »

Kai76 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:17 am Here’s a Cut Co barehead jack in real nice condition.

5D72B15F-C41D-4CC2-8CFB-779129E6AB46.jpeg
26FC6ADD-3CB6-49E4-8784-6F0CBDEF2E25.jpeg
Nick
HubbaHubba
That’s a nice ‘un.
Looking for a user Schrade CutCo 8813 ......
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Nice 172. One of my favorites especially the Walden
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, looks like patience is a virtue... Actually in my case .... it's not patience, it's kinda like I forgot about it for a while.

I FINALLY found myself a sure 'nuff 8 OTY on the bay. She needs a good clean-up but all in all, she will be a good addition to my Old Timer collection.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Very nice Mike. Looks like good full blades on that 'yeller.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:41 pm Very nice Mike. Looks like good full blades on that 'yeller.
Sho' does....
I hope that surface rust is what turned everyone else off. BUT, I think I can deal with that. Full blades and I think it will clean up right nice like.

"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:41 pm Very nice Mike. Looks like good full blades on that 'yeller.
Sho' does....
I hope that surface rust is what turned everyone else off. BUT, I think I can deal with that. Full blades and I think it will clean up right nice like.

Yep, you clean that red rust off and it will just look like nice patina.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

I love those 8OTY Schrades they only made them for one year, 1991... Ken
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”