855 Bicentennial Knife - sample, prototype or other?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
jxr1197

855 Bicentennial Knife - sample, prototype or other?

Post by jxr1197 »

I'm not sure what I bought. It's an 855 made up for the 1976 celebration. The artwork is the same on both sides - GW and a couple of red coats. The mark side also has '76 in the center. The pins are buried in the plastic covers with only the center pin visible - the other two are covered up but can be seen from the inside of the knife. I'm also reasonably sure it's a Swinden. The knife looks good but it's actually kind of rough all over. Both plastic covers have ruts running the length in the center and are very wavy to the touch. They just weren't finished. Also the pen blade doesn't line up perfect against the spring when open - it sits proud maybe a 32nd or so. Before I bid on it I sent a pic to Michael Little to ask if he'd ever seen one and he said no but suggested it might have been a sample for Parker back then. One last detail is the tang stamp. It's a 4 line stamp with a double aught over stamp that I haven't come across before but when you get up close and personal with it, it actually seems as though the '00' was stamped first and the Schrade stamp is on top of that. Weird, right? Looking for opinions here. What is this knife?
mark.jpg
pile.jpg
tang.jpg
- Jason
tongueriver

Re: 855 Bicentennial Knife - sample, prototype or other?

Post by tongueriver »

Total mystery to me.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

What is the closed length of the knife?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

orvet wrote:What is the closed length of the knife?
3.25" closed. I still don't know its story. Do you have some thoughts on it?
- Jason

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”