What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Duffer

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by Duffer »

Cal I saw that one and was very tempted to bid on it! It is a wonderful DE/Schrade Moose/Texas Jack ::tu:: Trying to save my funds for OKCA in two weeks :lol:
Lloyd
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Large Stockman Cut Co.

Harold
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co. stockman.jpg
Scharde Cut Co Stockman #2.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Stockman #3.jpg
LanG

Post by LanG »

That's a great looking knife, Harold. ::tu:: I like the shieldless look! ::nod::
Lan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

LanG wrote:That's a great looking knife, Harold. ::tu:: I like the shieldless look! ::nod::
I do too! That 8803 doesn't need anything extra! ::tu::
8803 catalog cut001.jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

That’s a real beauty Cal. I like those single spring double ended ones.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

stockman wrote:Large Stockman Cut Co.

Harold
That's a really beauty there Harold! ::tu::
David
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a well wore 8OT Stockman! It was carried a ton !
Keep Near the Cross.
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

I found these in past couple of months. Both have some unfortunate scratch's but neither have been sharpened. Proud to have them in my folder.
Attachments
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-014S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

2863.jpg
- Jason
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Jason I like your D-E nice older knife.

Harold
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What year is the 34OT from ?
kj
mmmorici

Post by mmmorici »

Found this at a local house sale. Anyone know how to date this? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_7269.JPG
IMG_7270.JPG
IMG_7271.JPG
IMG_7272.JPG
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7274.JPG
IMG_7275.JPG
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

stockman wrote:Jason I like your D-E nice older knife.
Thanks Harold - and nice to hear from you!

kootenay joe wrote:What year is the 34OT from ?
I know you're not asking me, but 1984. I have the same one - they're really beautiful.
- Jason
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

mmmorici wrote:Anyone know how to date this?
Flowers, wine..maybe some Barry White in the background. :D

I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer but mid 80s is as close as I could guess.
- Jason
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for 34OT answer (1984).
The first few years of LB7's (1977 - 198?) there are 4 pins showing in the handle: 3 handle pins and one spring pivot pin.
At some point in early 1980's the handles show 3 pins: 2 handle pins and one spring pivot pin.
These are commonly referred to being a "4 pin" or a "3 pin".
Yours is a 3 pin.
The serial # on the bolster shoulder went up to about 17,000 for the first year, 1977, or '78 ? and was over 200,000 by the end of the second year. Then sales really took off because after serial # 999,999 came A0000001 and so on up to your knife when they got to "Q".
After going through the alphabet once, they then went to "AA0000001" etc all the way into the "BB"'s and then they gave up and stopped putting serial numbers on them.
Schrade made many millions of LB7's.
If some of this needs correcting, please do so. I post these things so that they can get corrected, not because i think i know it for sure.
Codger64 on BladeForums did a huge amount of investigation into LB7's. There is a vast amount of information in the Schrade forum there, all impeccably researched to actual factory documents.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks for 34OT answer (1984).
The first few years of LB7's (1977 - 198?) there are 4 pins showing in the handle: 3 handle pins and one spring pivot pin.
At some point in early 1980's the handles show 3 pins: 2 handle pins and one spring pivot pin.
These are commonly referred to being a "4 pin" or a "3 pin".
Yours is a 3 pin.
The serial # on the bolster shoulder went up to about 17,000 for the first year, 1977, or '78 ? and was over 200,000 by the end of the second year. Then sales really took off because after serial # 999,999 came A0000001 and so on up to your knife when they got to "Q".
After going through the alphabet once, they then went to "AA0000001" etc all the way into the "BB"'s and then they gave up and stopped putting serial numbers on them.
Schrade made many millions of LB7's.
If some of this needs correcting, please do so. I post these things so that they can get corrected, not because i think i know it for sure.
Codger64 on BladeForums did a huge amount of investigation into LB7's. There is a vast amount of information in the Schrade forum there, all impeccably researched to actual factory documents.
kj
Excellent synopsis. ::tu:: Looks to me like somewhere around 40 million, or one for every eight humans in the U.S. I even have one. :) I keep hoping that folk will restrict their posts to knives made before the 1960 Delrin Revolution in this particular thread. There is another thread for My latest Schrade which is more appropriate for the LB7s.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a BEAUTY ! Received in trade with esteemed member Greg, to me it is mint and one of the very best 3 blade knives that 'Schrade' ever made.
3 5/8", same basic pattern as the Camillus 72, this older bone handled Schrade Walden 863 with the saber grind on both sides of master blade is the best of all the 863 issues.
There are a few of these 'Kon Kav's out there, some with members here, any guess as to how many minty examples of this knife there still are present now ? about 50 ? or ??
It is a great knife, and i am very pleased to be it's new owner.
Bet it would make an excellent & classy, EDC.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3971.JPG
IMGP3974.JPG
IMGP3976.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good pick Roland, I looked that one over a time or two myself. ::tu::
thawk

Post by thawk »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is a BEAUTY ! Received in trade with esteemed member Greg, to me it is mint and one of the very best 3 blade knives that 'Schrade' ever made.
3 5/8", same basic pattern as the Camillus 72, this older bone handled Schrade Walden 863 with the saber grind on both sides of master blade is the best of all the 863 issues.
There are a few of these 'Kon Kav's out there, some with members here, any guess as to how many minty examples of this knife there still are present now ? about 50 ? or ??
It is a great knife, and i am very pleased to be it's new owner.
Bet it would make an excellent & classy, EDC.
kj
Way less than 50. I've never seen one before that was a mint bone handled 863. Very nice. ::tu::
Hal
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Hal. You are one of the collectors i thought had a minty example of a S-W Kon Kav 863 with bone handles. You did have one or more knives with the "Kon Kav" etch.
kj
thawk

Post by thawk »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you Hal. You are one of the collectors i thought had a minty example of a S-W Kon Kav 863 with bone handles. You did have one or more knives with the "Kon Kav" etch.
kj
I used to have an 880 KON KAV in mint condition but never an 863. Someone here on the forum might own that one now.
880_n_f1.JPG
Hal
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Most of my knives are MINT in tubes and boxes. However, I have been unable to fine many Bone handle knives.
I think Cal, has them all... Ken
Attachments
1 - WALDEN.JPG
1 - 880 & 881.JPG
17 - WALDON 880.JPG
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mr Gold, i am a bit confused by your post: both knives have a saber grind but the tubes are 880 and 881. Usually the 881 has a full flat grind.
Is the "Stiletto" a special order 881 with a saber grind ?
I have not seen this Stiletto etched S-W stockman before. What is the 'story' behind it ?
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Hal, now i remember it was the bone 880 i was remembering.
The Schrade-Walden saber ground clip is such a great looking blade and one they rarely did (if at all ?) by the time Schrade-Walden became Schrade.
Perhaps part of the effort to keep overhead low to compete with knives from Japan ? (along with the change from bone to Delrin)
kj
thawk

Post by thawk »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks Hal, now i remember it was the bone 880 i was remembering.
The Schrade-Walden saber ground clip is such a great looking blade and one they rarely did (if at all ?) by the time Schrade-Walden became Schrade.
Perhaps part of the effort to keep overhead low to compete with knives from Japan ? (along with the change from bone to Delrin)
kj
The sabre ground clip blades are not common Schrade blades. The 880 and 863 were done full sabre and the 293 / 294 were done on the front side only. Other than that I have a 272 (peanut pattern) with Butter and Molasses handles that has a 1/2 sabre clip blade. Not sure what other patterns they might have done with a sabre grind. There were 2 3/4" Open Stock knives with a KON-KAV finish but they were not sabre ground (at least the later ones) This was the 805 pattern. I have seen the Delrin handled 863 with sabre ground clip blades but they are not all that common.
Hal

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”