salesman sample + ?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

salesman sample + ?

Post by peanut740 »

Ok Schrade experts,tell me what I have besides the obvious. Schrade Cut 3 1/2" jack.I got this in a small collection recently.It has a dark set of salesman #s and 4 lighter hard to read and photograph #s.Also are 4 punch marks along with the numbers.The knife is unused condition.I have had salesman Schrades before,but not like this.Is this some kind of factory used knife or just your plain old run of the mill salesman sample?
Attachments
20170921_173117.jpg
20170921_173123.jpg
1506030118876.jpg
1506030148035.jpg
1506030173420.jpg
Roger
rexstubbins

Re: salesman sample + ?

Post by rexstubbins »

Looks like a salesman sample of a serpentine jack. If I had to guess the marks were from hardness testing the blade. Nice looking knife!!!
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
ea42

Post by ea42 »

rexstubbins wrote:Looks like a salesman sample of a serpentine jack. If I had to guess the marks were from hardness testing the blade. Nice looking knife!!!
Yep I'll second that, definitely hardness testing. Nice knife Roger!! I've got a few salesman/shop samples as well. ::tu::

Eric
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

OK - It's like when you buy your first car or first pair of cool shoes. When you do you tend to come across the same exact car and color more and more.

What are the odds:

viewtopic.php?t=53787
https://www.smkw.com/schrade-cutlery-se ... ck-ss-2903

And ohhh if I had the money.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

rexstubbins wrote:Looks like a salesman sample of a serpentine jack. If I had to guess the marks were from hardness testing the blade. Nice looking knife!!!
If you don't mind, how exactly do they do those hardness tests? And what do they use to do it? Those marks looks as though they were made by a very small diameter punch or something. Very interesting to say the least. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

XX Case XX wrote:
If you don't mind, how exactly do they do those hardness tests? And what do they use to do it? Those marks looks as though they were made by a very small diameter punch or something. Very interesting to say the least. ::nod::

Hardness tests are made by placing the item to be tested in a device(usually made by Rockwell)that presses a pointed tool into the item under pressure. How deeply the impression is made determines it's relative hardness.
I would venture that rather than being hardness testing marks(usually only one is done in an inconspicuous spot)but rather to forestall that knife being sold as new.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Testing is done with a punch. A Diamond punch.
The machine puts "X" amount of force on the punch, and measures the difference in "depth" for the base line.

Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

knife7knut wrote:
XX Case XX wrote:

Hardness tests are made by placing the item to be tested in a device(usually made by Rockwell)that presses a pointed tool into the item under pressure. How deeply the impression is made determines it's relative hardness.
I would venture that rather than being hardness testing marks(usually only one is done in an inconspicuous spot)but rather to forestall that knife being sold as new.
K7:

Thank you for that information. When I saw the photos of that knife, I had no idea of what those marks were. I suppose in a way, they do the very same thing when they test motorcycle helmets to meet impact standards. Motorcycle helmets have to meet D.O.T. standards, and some even meet more stringent, private testing standards like "SNELL". I guess I learned something new today.

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

americanedgetech wrote:Testing is done with a punch. A Diamond punch.
The machine puts "X" amount of force on the punch, and measures the difference in "depth" for the base line.

Thank you for that Sir. Very informative. Now I know what you guys are referring to. Seeing it actually done is very interesting. Makes a lot of sense now. ::tu::

americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Cool beans Mike!
I love learning new sh... stuff too.
::dang::

Ken
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”