SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SCHRADES MY TRUE LOVE

Post by orvet »

Nice one Bruce!
I like the etch on the blade and that deep jigging on the bone is real eye candy! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

[quote="Ballenxj"]My latest Schrade.
-Bruce

I like that Stockman Bruce.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
Ballenxj

Post by Ballenxj »

Thanks guys. 8) I later took a photo of the blade etching and inscription so you guys could see it better. :mrgreen:
My biggest problem is, I want to use it. :shock:
So without further adieu, here it is.
-Bruce
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, I came across this Mint Schrade and thought I would post it because I couldnt locate it in the Schrade Catalog. Its a Schrade Walden #298 in Genuine Stag. I am trying to find about what Year it was made?
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
103.jpg
102.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I don't think they ever listed stag in the catalogs but they did make them. Yours does not have the early walden stamp which would read schrade (over) walden (over) ny. It also has a marked pattern number which early waldens didn't. If I were to guess I would say somewhere in the 50's. But that is just my guess.

Really prime example of a fantastic knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That looks like one of Barry Wolder's (onefartsmella) pics. One that snuck by me, I guess. Good score!
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks Guys!! I thought it might be from the 50's also and I knew that I hadnt seen but a few "Genuine Stag" handles in Schrade.
I took the "Scans" of my knife with a Scanner not a camera,,But it does look like his pics, LOL.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
103.jpg
102.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Did you check the liners to make sure it's not a Herman Williams creation? What ever it is, I like it. That long slender profile and the Turkish clip blade really do it for me. ::tu::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ballenxj

Post by Ballenxj »

Some really nice knives surfacing here folks. Looks like I'm seeing some Herman Williams representation too? ::tu::
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hello, Many thanks for the compliments!! I did not check the inside liners, but will do it right now. Just listed the knife on ebay
Thx Mark
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hello Guys, I just checked the inside Liners and there is No initials or name whatsoever. Its the real deal folks.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Ballenxj

Post by Ballenxj »

jerryd6818 wrote:Did you check the liners to make sure it's not a Herman Williams creation?
This is what I was wondering.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I have been watching this thread with interest. I do not wish to offend any one however I do not agree with the general concensus. I believe your knife is a rehandled knife from the late 90tys or early 2000. Schrade re released a line of Schrade walden knives . I believe that this is the tang used. Schrade in the 50tys was not doing stag. During this time Schrade was getting away from natural material delrin was the wave of the future celluloid, pearl, bone , ect were being phased out. in any event they did not produce stag like that. The first stag re releases ( natural materials) were the center piece of the 13 colonies produced for Jim Parker 1976. Herman Williams was instumental in getting Schrade to go back to natural materials. here is a example I believe of one of the knives made from that newer later release. 122431128385 ( note not same pattern just example of that line of knives) . You will notice that the stag is different as is the shield however I believe that that is the correct vintage ( from that period issue ) and marking. I agree the rehandling certainly looks like hermans work. However as was mentioned he usually marks them with initials dates ect ( but not always ) None the less I believe it is rehandled and i do not believe is an early Schrade Walden. I wish to offend NO ONE I simply wanted to state my opinion. Again i hope it does not offend . it is a beautiful knife and it is what it is. Regards LT
Ballenxj

Post by Ballenxj »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hello Guys, I just checked the inside Liners and there is No initials or name whatsoever. Its the real deal folks.
Could it be a very early one from before they signed them?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My apologies. That's Wallace that marks his work inside the liners. Herman stamps the tang or at least has on all I've seen.
Attachments
DSC08058.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Opinions are inexpensive, so I think I can afford one. I believe that the frame and blades are original pre-1973, but only at the 94% belief level. If that is so, then the handles are definitely a re-do. A number of craftsman around these days that can do that. If it is a more modern release (say... 1980s or 90s) then it will have Swinden construction. Does it? In any case, NO original 1947-1973 Schrade knives were released with stag handles (again, my opinion, but this time it is at the 99.8% belief level). Say.... I DO like that knife. ::tu::
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

It was stated that this knife had 298 as a pattern number. I have gone through Sargeants 1 and 2 under Schrade Walden and did not see that pattern. I also went into collectors of schrades are US. I checked through a bunch of those years flyers and did not see a 298 pattern I am not saying that it is not there I may very well have missed it . Perhapes someone might find a reference to this pattern or model number and better yet a picture. That would confirm that this pattern number was being made back then . If not then chances are it was issued as the reissue Schrade Walden . if a picture is found it might answer some questions. Any information would be appreciated. Like i said I may well have missed it. LT
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I have a Herman Williams Uncle Henry Schrade+ USA 885UH Everlasting Sharp etched primary blade that is tang stamped on the pile side H. Williams 2011 and inside the left blade well liner H. Williams -2011 D8609. I have some others just tang stamped. Lloyd
Attachments
IMG_1069.jpg
IMG_1070.jpg
IMG_1050.jpg
Lloyd
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Beautiful knife Lloyd.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

lt632ret wrote:It was stated that this knife had 298 as a pattern number. I have gone through Sargeants 1 and 2 under Schrade Walden and did not see that pattern. I also went into collectors of schrades are US. I checked through a bunch of those years flyers and did not see a 298 pattern I am not saying that it is not there I may very well have missed it . Perhapes someone might find a reference to this pattern or model number and better yet a picture. That would confirm that this pattern number was being made back then . If not then chances are it was issued as the reissue Schrade Walden . if a picture is found it might answer some questions. Any information would be appreciated. Like i said I may well have missed it. LT
I can't find that pattern # either, LT, but I still think it is a genuine Walden frame and blades. Oh.... to be 20 again and know everything!
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I feel ( but will not swear to it that the pattern model 898 was not made during the original Schrade Walden time frame. ) Perhapes I can offer some further information. I am attaching some pictures of a SWA787Y. Ever hear of it? Notice the dandy original Schrade Walden period correct tube it came in. Notice the tang ( look familiar ) the same as the 898?? Now have you ever seen this pattern or knife. How much more of a correct Schrade Walden could you ask for. Heck it must have been hidden away for years its brand new. I was so taken with it when I got it that i showed it to Dave Swinden . I was a bit surprised when he said that he had never seen one before. So what then is the story? You see when Schrade was closing right at the end in 2003 they started making knives from parts that they had and they had alot. Yes they also had those celluloid tubes as well. Now while they had lots regular blades like sheepsfoot and california clips they also had a lot of blades marked Schrade Walden from that cigar box or whatever it was called reissue ( I forget what they called it ) Anyway while they used a lot of parts making them ( as fast as they could before everything got sold at auction ). they made a lot of standard Old timers and Uncle Henrys .But They also had a lot of this other odd ball stuff that down the road collectors would see and think that they had found a holy grail. This particular yellow handled Schrade Walden in original vintage packaging was born in 2003. It was known then that down the road only the most nerdlike Schradeaholics ( like me ) would know what was going on and really they didn't care they just wanted to dump as much as possible. I am also including a few pics of some of my Herman knives. Herman is a good friend it was probably mentioned somewhere on here ( AAPK ) he just turned 80 years old. I consider him a national treasure. enjoy the pics and try not to be to trusting when you find a mint condition Schrade of a model you have never seen. if it seems to good to be true it probably is. Again just my opinion LT
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG
hermans knives.jpg
herman 2.jpg
herman 3.jpg
herman 4.jpg
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

lt632ret wrote:I feel ( but will not swear to it that the pattern model 898 was not made during the original Schrade Walden time frame. ) Perhapes I can offer some further information. I am attaching some pictures of a SWA787Y. Ever hear of it? Notice the dandy original Schrade Walden period correct tube it came in. Notice the tang ( look familiar ) the same as the 898?? Now have you ever seen this pattern or knife. How much more of a correct Schrade Walden could you ask for. Heck it must have been hidden away for years its brand new. I was so taken with it when I got it that i showed it to Dave Swinden . I was a bit surprised when he said that he had never seen one before. So what then is the story? You see when Schrade was closing right at the end in 2003 they started making knives from parts that they had and they had alot. Yes they also had those celluloid tubes as well. Now while they had lots regular blades like sheepsfoot and california clips they also had a lot of blades marked Schrade Walden from that cigar box or whatever it was called reissue ( I forget what they called it ) Anyway while they used a lot of parts making them ( as fast as they could before everything got sold at auction ). they made a lot of standard Old timers and Uncle Henrys .But They also had a lot of this other odd ball stuff that down the road collectors would see and think that they had found a holy grail. This particular yellow handled Schrade Walden in original vintage packaging was born in 2003. It was known then that down the road only the most nerdlike Schradeaholics ( like me ) would know what was going on and really they didn't care they just wanted to dump as much as possible. I am also including a few pics of some of my Herman knives. Herman is a good friend it was probably mentioned somewhere on here ( AAPK ) he just turned 80 years old. I consider him a national treasure. enjoy the pics and try not to be to trusting when you find a mint condition Schrade of a model you have never seen. if it seems to good to be true it probably is. Again just my opinion LT
Look at the paper work inside the tube that the SWA787Y came in.It might say Camillus or manufacture under licence.
GRANT
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Shearer wrote:
lt632ret wrote:I feel ( but will not swear to it that the pattern model 898 was not made during the original Schrade Walden time frame. ) Perhapes I can offer some further information. I am attaching some pictures of a SWA787Y. Ever hear of it? Notice the dandy original Schrade Walden period correct tube it came in. Notice the tang ( look familiar ) the same as the 898?? Now have you ever seen this pattern or knife. How much more of a correct Schrade Walden could you ask for. Heck it must have been hidden away for years its brand new. I was so taken with it when I got it that i showed it to Dave Swinden . I was a bit surprised when he said that he had never seen one before. So what then is the story? You see when Schrade was closing right at the end in 2003 they started making knives from parts that they had and they had alot. Yes they also had those celluloid tubes as well. Now while they had lots regular blades like sheepsfoot and california clips they also had a lot of blades marked Schrade Walden from that cigar box or whatever it was called reissue ( I forget what they called it ) Anyway while they used a lot of parts making them ( as fast as they could before everything got sold at auction ). they made a lot of standard Old timers and Uncle Henrys .But They also had a lot of this other odd ball stuff that down the road collectors would see and think that they had found a holy grail. This particular yellow handled Schrade Walden in original vintage packaging was born in 2003. It was known then that down the road only the most nerdlike Schradeaholics ( like me ) would know what was going on and really they didn't care they just wanted to dump as much as possible. I am also including a few pics of some of my Herman knives. Herman is a good friend it was probably mentioned somewhere on here ( AAPK ) he just turned 80 years old. I consider him a national treasure. enjoy the pics and try not to be to trusting when you find a mint condition Schrade of a model you have never seen. if it seems to good to be true it probably is. Again just my opinion LT
Look at the paper work inside the tube that the SWA787Y came in.It might say Camillus or manufacture under licence.
GRANT
It's my understanding that the SWA787Y was made for SMKW by either Bear and Sons or Camillus after Schrades closing in 2004 under license by Taylor. As you pointed out if you look at the paper work in LT's photos, 6th one down, you can see in the upper right corner under the knife printed "Ellenville NY factory closed in 2004" upside down.

As for the #298, very nice knife btw, I wondering if that is one of them lunch box specials.
"Maybe were all happy"
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That yellow knife was made by Camillus after the 2004 closing of Schrade. Because of their prior work (in a very extensive manner), they had stamps, parts, blanks, etc.- the whole nine yards. I had one of those knives for awhile, myself- typical good Camillus. They made all the 898s and 886s also, but those two were made before the 2004 closing of Schrade. They were strictly Camillus through and through and had unique frame sizes without a single analog in any other Schrade line. I have examined and measured them. I believe they were made for Hardware Hank or some such. This has all been discussed at length elsewhere and I forget the details (imagine that!).
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Everybody, thus the reason for posting this knife right here on aapk for everyone to enjoy. I personally dont believe this knife was made in the 2000's, because there is a heck of a lot of differences just in the type of steel used. You can obviously see the steel in this knife vs the Yellow knife is a lot different not too mention its factory finish is much different. I honestly didnt think much about the rarity of Schrade stags but I have seen several posted that are in Mr. Upnorths collection,,,The Genuine stag handles All look nearly identical to me. I will get some pics of his Stag knives to compare against mine in a short while. I will also take more pics of my knife to add since there is interest in the details and its all a Nice learning experience even for educated knife guys.
Kind Regards,
Mark

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”