One Of My Best - Pearl Camillus Whittler w/ File Work in Box

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Another Knife Collector

One Of My Best - Pearl Camillus Whittler w/ File Work in Box

Post by Another Knife Collector »

Just got this fancy old Camillus with genuine pearl, milled liners, and file worked springs, still in the original box with sleeve and original plastic packaging. Does anyone know anything about these high-end Camillus knives? It's a great example of the top of the line knives Camillus made. :)
Attachments
P1010563.JPG
P1010559.JPG
P1010562.JPG
P1010533.JPG
-Phil
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: One Of My Best - Pearl Camillus Whittler w/ File Work in Box

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

What a beautiful knife. ::tu::
Phil Gibbs

Post by Phil Gibbs »

Stunning!! ::tu::

I have seen a few of the pearls over the years, but never one quite like that.
I have never heard of filework being done at a production level, especially then.
I suspect it was made for someone special, or to mark an important event.

Congratulations! I have never seen it's equal.

I will leave the details & dating to my old friend Camco!
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Beautiful pearl ya got there :mrgreen:
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Yes, that is a mighty fine knife, I'd be proud to carry that pretty piece of art. Congratulations! That is mighty fine pearl, looks presentation quality and presentation doesn't always have quality color like that.
Hukk
Another Knife Collector

Thank you very much, it's definately one of my favorites and the fit and finish is excellant. It's probably the best knife in my collection as far as quality, condition, chances of finding another, and pretty much any other catagory I can think of. :D :mrgreen:
-Phil
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

WOW!!

:shock: ::drool:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Simply Beautiful! ::tu:: Wish I had that one in my little collection.
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
Forensic Jim

Post by Forensic Jim »

That knife is stunning! Really like the pearl and file work. I have a stupid question to ask, it appears to be a pen knife, but with the third file blade, is it in fact considered a pen knife? I've always thought pen knives only had two blades, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
RIP Johnnie Rotten

So far, so good...So What!!
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Forensic Jim wrote:That knife is stunning! Really like the pearl and file work. I have a stupid question to ask, it appears to be a pen knife, but with the third file blade, is it in fact considered a pen knife? I've always thought pen knives only had two blades, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
That beautiful knife is constructed like a whittler! Notice the slim wedge between the backsprings. Ups its value IMO!
Some call this a whittler; BRL disagrees in LG4.
Great knife!
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
LRV

Post by LRV »

Simply stunningl
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
CAMCO

Post by CAMCO »

This is a very special knife as stated by Phil Gibbs. Definitely not a production item-perhaps one of a kind. Maybe given to a retired Camillus employee.
It appears to be a #80 pattern with bolster tips. I have seen many knives that were this pattern with Nu-Pearl or Sea-Pearl handles (imitation), but rarely geniune pearl. The tang stamp and cellophane rapper are post WWII.
Do you have any background on this knife? Where did you get it?

Tom Williams
Another Knife Collector

Well, I'm kinda ashamed to say I bought it online, I really don't like buying knives that I can't look at in person, but this was an exception. The seller did tell me they thought that it had been a gift to a family member sometime in the 1950's. I forgot to mention that it is marked 61 on the reverse of the tang. Thanks Everyone. :mrgreen:
-Phil
RaginCajun

Post by RaginCajun »

I am new to the world of knives and to this site, but I am here to learn and I have a question. Please forgive my ignorance but when you guys refer to real pearl scales what exactly is that particular material. When I think of pearl I think of an oyster pearl and it is obvious that pearls do not get big enough to produce those slabs.
Another Knife Collector

We're refering to mother of pearl sometimes shortened to "MOP" or just "pearl". It's the shell of an oyster. Mother of pearl has iridescent colors through out it and is very beautiful. It has been imitated with plastics for many years, but none come close to the colors of real pearl. I'm sure others can tell you a lot more about it. :)
-Phil
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

The oyster for this MOP is Pinctada Maxima from South East Asia, primarily the Phillipines and Indonesia and now - China. The Gold Lip and white pearl (MOP) comes from the shell of the same species, just the other side of the shell. The Gold Lip is on the outside and white pearl on the inside. This species can be of dinner plate size (12 inches in Diameter). MOP also comes from abalone and other shellfish.

The Black Lip Pearl (my personal favorite) is Pinctada Margaritifera which is from French Polynesia around Tahiti and its Archipelagos. I have purchased 1/8 inch Black Lip Pearl to 3-1/2 inches ($250.00) and 3 inches ($200.00), that's a lot of $$$ and they only get about 6 that big every year where I purchased them. I was talking to Michael Prater and if it were 3/16 inch thick it would cost $1,500.00 for 3-1/2 x 1 x 3/16. :shock: :shock:

Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::
Hukk
RaginCajun

Post by RaginCajun »

OOOOOOOOH! Well that makes much more sense to me now. Thanks buddy. ::tu::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Another Knife Collector wrote: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 pm Just got this fancy old Camillus with genuine pearl, milled liners, and file worked springs, still in the original box with sleeve and original plastic packaging. Does anyone know anything about these high-end Camillus knives? It's a great example of the top of the line knives Camillus made. :)
Phil ,not sure if you still check in here but will ask ,do you have this Beauty still ? Been going thru old posts lately and sure been seeing some nice stuff from the early days on the forum. And the amount of knowledge here that’s been compiled here over the years is great .
Hope to hear from you.
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

He hasn't checked in since October, might want to send a PM. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”