Unusual Stockman

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
cody6268

Unusual Stockman

Post by cody6268 »

I purchased this Remington-branded Stockman some time back bundled with another knife about two years ago.
IMG_20220829_211050.jpg
I haven't seen another like it. It is very reminiscent of a Camillus-made Buck 301, but it is larger at 3 1/2" closed, and I can't ever recall seeing a Camillus-made Buck with "stainless" stamped on the blade.

I have only seen sawcut Delrin-handle Remingtons with straight bolsters, lime/hunter green scales, and carbon steel blades. This one has slanted bolsters, black Delrin handles, and stainless blades (but carbon steel springs--like most if not all Camillus with SS blades).

These are its tang stamps.

Mark side etched "REMINGTON" over "USA" in Remington's trademark script.
IMG_20220829_211120.jpg
Pile side stamped "STAINLESS".
IMG_20220829_211243.jpg

I'm wondering about the timeframe and the equivalent Camillus pattern.

Because of the etched stamp common to knives made near the end; I am very curious about whether or not my knife was a 2007-era "slap whatever parts you've got laying around together and call it a finished product". However, it's not at all junky. Snaps like a bear trap with very smooth action. It's better put together than my 2015 Buck in-house made 301.
Vit_213

Re: Unusual Stockman

Post by Vit_213 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:28 am "slap whatever parts you've got laying around together and call it a finished product"
Yes ::nod::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”