Genuine Camillus knife?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Vossinator500

Genuine Camillus knife?

Post by Vossinator500 »

Hello! I just purchased this knife listed as a Camillus knife with not much more info. I’m from Camillus and have always wanted a knife made in my home town. I actually remember being on the school bus and seeing the smoke when the cutlery caught fire. Anyways, I have pictures of the knife from the eBay listing, and can post more once it arrives. I messaged the seller and asked if it was made in the US cutlery before it closed in 2007, and they said yes. I believe them, but just figured I’d check since it looks a little different than the pictures I’ve seen online. Thanks!
Attachments
00B49BF2-CFF5-4454-A853-4B68C02AA99D.jpeg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Genuine Camillus knife?

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Vossinator500 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:15 pm Hello.....
First, I am by no means a CAMILLUS expert.
I don't see any tang stamps.
That blade etch doesn't look quite right to me.
I think that this knife is from China.
But, like I said, I am definitely NOT an expert on CAMILLUS cutlery.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Vossinator500

Post by Vossinator500 »

That’s definitely disappointing, I think I’ll wait to do anything until it actually comes in the mail, and post some more pictures. Thanks for the information!
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Without a USA logo on tang stamp I think the knife was made in Taiwan.

Bob

p.s. Not an expert. See what follows.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

It's not even a new chinese Camillus, it's a cheap fake.
Vossinator500

Post by Vossinator500 »

If that’s the case I might just try and return it before it arrives, guess I know to check before I try and buy one again! Thank you to everyone who commented.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Vossinator500 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:10 pm If that’s the case I might just try and return it before it arrives, guess I know to check before I try and buy one again! Thank you to everyone who commented.
Here’s a pic of a knife that was gifted by a member here . Notice the tang stamp on the main blade .
Hope you can get your money back!
Attachments
0710FB49-4C0C-4065-B80A-E3FA4AF67B77.jpeg
JP
Vossinator500

Post by Vossinator500 »

Good to know that’s what to look for, thank you! eBay won’t let me attempt to return it until tomorrow but I’ll give it a shot as soon as I can.
richardbell

Post by richardbell »

Can someone here tell me the price of the knife on the photo? Is it a limited original version? io games
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

richardbell wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:37 am Can someone here tell me the price of the knife on the photo? Is it a limited original version? io games
Are you referring to the Camillus made knife or the other one . Camillus in the USA closed in 2007 .
The brass bolstered peanut by Camillus was a run they did several times . That knife is a 20 to 30 dollar knife . The other one couldn’t tell you about as I don’t buy or collect that .
JP
Sandrascott

Post by Sandrascott »

Vossinator500 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:15 pm Hello! I just purchased this knife listed as a Camillus knife with not much more info. I’m from Camillus and have always wanted a knife made in my home town. I actually remember being on the school bus and seeing the smoke when the cutlery caught fire. Besides that, I am constantly pondering the fact that this knife will help me survive. I got inspired from here https://freebooksummary.com/category/the-raft. After reading the book The Raft, I started to feel my hobby for knives, that's why I want as soon as possible to hold this knife in my hand and go on a journey with it in the hope that it will help me save my life like Bear Grylls. Thanks!
I asked an expert, and he told me that this knife is really good, but it depends on what price the seller will ask.
penny0094

Post by penny0094 »

Camillus' brass-bolstered peanut was a run they executed multiple times. That knife costs between $20 and $30. I couldn't tell you about the other one because I don't purchase or collect it. .
peppor0099

Post by peppor0099 »

I have also been trying to find it for about a week, but the results are not satisfactory. I'm glad you know that's what to look for, thank you! You should work with eBay early. I think they will accept the request.
LRV

Post by LRV »

Here is a a new looking Camillus stamped knife I have no info on.
I was asked about it and need help id-ing it. I question the handle shape and that the sheath is original.
Camillus-Knife.jpg
Any assistance would be great.
Thanks
Larry
lrv
P.S. Ive heard it may be an "OLE BUCK" knife but info still needed.
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”