Camillus tang stamps

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Jugum

Camillus tang stamps

Post by Jugum »

Does anybody have a list of Camillus tang stamps that can be used to date knives ? Ive gotten a few latley and am curious they have good steel and a great snap.
Thanks,
Jug
SuperC51

Post by SuperC51 »

When I find good threads I often print them as a PDF to save them to reference later. I found this thread on BladeForums.com - Camillus Collector's Forum -

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=497708

I hope the authors don't mind.
marvin

source:
Camillus Tang stamps and dates - acourvil - Platinum Member - BladeForums.com
While we know that Camillus used numerous tang stamps through the years, that it is very hard to date a Camillus knife because tang stamps were frequently changed and sometimes old blades with early stamps were used, I thought it might be of interest to have an illustrated listing of Camillus tang stamps with approximate dates that they were used. So here’s a start at that; if you see errors or have other comments, let me know and I will edit as appropriate. With one exception, these all came from electrician’s knives (i.e., TL-29 or signal corp. style knives). Except for the last two, which are based on information from BladeForums.com, the date references are based on Goins Encyclopedia
Attachments
Camillus_1989-closing.jpg
Camillus_Late1970s-early1980s-forward.jpg
Camillus_1976-forward.jpg
Camillus_1960-1976.jpg
Camillus_1946-1956.jpg
Camillus_1946-1950.jpg
Camillus_1941-1946-questionable origin.jpg
Camillus_1941-1946 Sword brand-front.jpg
Camillus_1941-1946 Sword brand-back.jpg
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

The Goins' book has a listing of Camillus tang stamps and approximate dates. Probably follows the list shown above pretty well, but I don't have it handy to check.

I can tell you that the above list (or pictures) is not complete because I personally have some Camillus knives with tang stampings not shown. For instance, I have an old easy opener with Camillus arched over Cutlery Co. on both blades. I also have older Camillus knives with the arched stamp on one blade and the straight stamp on another. There is also an older Camillus stamp that is a three line stamp.

The oldest according to Goins' is the arched stamp on all blades.
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

I was waiting for Camco to check in, and give us some history, but I wanna thank Marvin for that post - I sure saved that one.

And, msteele is egzackly right, there are other Camillus stamps out there...plus, some stamps would disappear and then reappear later. I know I've bought new knives, back in the 80's and 90's that were marked with the "Sword Brand". Definitely made (or contracted by) Camillus, all with plastic handles.

That's about all I can add, at this point - I'd be interested in learning more about their stampings.

Take Care,
JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Maybe one of the BIG BOY Moderators will move this to Knife Lore, as I'm not sure Tom (CAMCO) checks all the forums.

Hukk...johnnie...pa...anybody home??

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

ok, we will try for one of our deep throat guys! :lol: if there is a definitive answer, it will be found here. ::tu::
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
arathol

Post by arathol »

Here are some examples of early stamps, pre WW1, both straight and arched. The pics labeled stamp1 and stamp2 are from the same knfe, a 2-blade pen ca 1916, straight stamp on the larger blade, curved stamp on the smaller. The picture labeled stamp3 is from a small 2-bl congress, ca 1915 or earlier, curver stamp on both ends. Note how the closed letters(A,O,R) in the 1915 stamp are shaded.
Attachments
stamp3.jpg
stamp2.jpg
stamp2.jpg (83.5 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
stamp1.jpg
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

Terrific pictures, arathol ! Genuinely appreciated....

This, to me, is a terrific thread - about a company that made millions of using knives, but never gained the recognition nor following of other companies.

I can add, just a teeny bit, about the shading of the tang stamps... that is "scale", from the heat treating process. It's tougher than rust, and will be there, until sanded/ground away. When the stamp (die, if you must) begins to wear, the sharp leading edges wear down somewhat, and allow the "base" of the stamp to make a slight indent, on the tang. Removing that would require sanding of the tang, non-important to the cutler, because sanding makes the lettering more shallow, and takes time.

There's also a slight scale, in the 'A' of the straight-line stamp, if you look closely.

All in all, a lot of knowledge here...I look forward to everyone's post.

Grateful JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
arathol

Post by arathol »

I'm not so sure about the shading thing. The voids in the closed letters appear to be filled with diagonal lines, not just shaded as in not polished. Here is a better picture with the lines clearly visible.
Attachments
stamp6.jpg
stamp6.jpg (75.73 KiB) Viewed 8141 times
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

most likely milling lines from dye manufacture.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus tang stamps

Post by orvet »

Moved to Camillus Forum for easier reference.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus tang stamps

Post by Ripster »

Here’s a few additions to the collection and notes regarding tang stamps . Thought would post here with this older posting and do some updating ,maybe get it typed up this winter with a few more additions ? . It’s been awhile and if anyone has anything to add or want to discuss that would be great . Lot of good info and pics in these older posts .
Take care out there.
Attachments
B7107BB8-0669-4DB4-B467-242AFA06C947.jpeg
52DEDD42-C4A6-4FD6-91CC-98A5649E6C77.jpeg
JP

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”