Testing the Camillus Dura Tool

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
#goldpan

Testing the Camillus Dura Tool

Post by #goldpan »

Hey guys sorry about being absent from the forum. I’ve been busy working. After being retired for close to seven years I went back to work for the school district that I retired from. What was supposed to be two or three days a week has been full time for the last two months. Looking forward to a little time off to rest and get back in the shop.

Anyway work gave me the opportunity to test the Camillus Dura Tool. The Dura Tool was my choice for custodial work. As a substitute custodian I visit a lot of schools and needed a simple knife with a good blade and the screwdriver was a plus. So this week I had an opportunity to test the blade for toughness.

I can’t say that I look forward to cleaning restrooms and this day was a test. Someone locked a restroom door from the inside. I’m too old to climb over and I’m not going to crawl under the door either. So what to do?

Here is a picture from the inside.
E0A3BB65-588B-4873-87D9-864FADD59CF0.jpeg
And here’s the view from the outside.
3933205F-CD84-47CF-9E28-BF4D689392BA.jpeg
So I used the knife blade. I inserted the blade into opening and dug the edge of the blade into the slide bolt and worked the slide open a little bit at a time.
58BA3052-6C4F-4879-8678-B56B5844D8D8.jpeg
As you can see from the pictures the knife lived up to the name Dura Tool. No damage to the cutting edge at all!

I love this simple knife. Tough and sharp. It can turn a screw and open your favorite beverage!
Attachments
80CE88E1-1EE5-49EF-A638-CC0E0258FC63.jpeg
FA142C15-CC69-4872-93B5-14A7ABF00247.jpeg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Testing the Camillus Dura Tool

Post by Ripster »

Randy, Really good to see you dropping in . Sounds like you been busy . Hope you’re resting up today .
Interesting post about the Duratool and your test . Skip and Smitty ,few others have them and have stated they’re well made . See them on EBay and shows and the prices aren’t bad .
Take care out there . ::handshake::
JP
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks JP. These knives are excellent users. And like the those old Timex watch commercials stated. They take a licking and keep on ticking!

And I’m finally getting a break. I’m watching the NASCAR race today. Just me and my recliner. Watching the race and catching up here on the forums.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:55 pm Randy, Really good to see you dropping in . Sounds like you been busy . Hope you’re resting up today .
Interesting post about the Duratool and your test . Skip and Smitty ,few others have them and have stated they’re well made . See them on EBay and shows and the prices aren’t bad .
Take care out there . ::handshake::

#goldpan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:46 pm Thanks JP. These knives are excellent users. And like the those old Timex watch commercials stated. They take a licking and keep on ticking!

And I’m finally getting a break. I’m watching the NASCAR race today. Just me and my recliner. Watching the race and catching up here on the forums.
I wholeheartedly agree. Great little knives, that make a great EDC and working tool. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
penny0094

Post by penny0094 »

Thank you, JP. These knives are fantastic users. And, as said in those old Timex watch adverts. They endure a beating and keep going! And I'm finally getting some relief. Today I'm watching the NASCAR race. It was just me and my chair. I'm following the race and catching up on the forums.
peppor0099

Post by peppor0099 »

It seems like you've been busy. Hope you are getting some rest today.
Interesting post on your test with the Duratool. Few others have Skip and Smitty, and those who have say they're nicely constructed.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have the TL-29 version (Journeyman) and aside from being thin and somewhat painful compared to the regular black-handle versions, it is MUCH stronger. The spun pivot pin means you're not going to accidentally blow the knife apart, and the lock on this version is stainless steel, not brass.

That is the version I plan to pick up pretty soon--Barlow size, but much more versatile due to that screwdriver/bottle opener.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”