*HELP* Need Info From The Camillus Gurus

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

*HELP* Need Info From The Camillus Gurus

Post by Papa Bones »

O.K. I have been doing searches on the Q&A thread, Camillus Threads, and through the Camillus Catalogs trying to find info on this Camillus trapper. Never found one in the catalogs. I bought it with some other Cammilus knives at a flea market sometime around 2002. I have seen it pop up from time to time on your well know auction sites, but never with a pattern number. I've seen it called a Camillus Trapper, Small trapper, Dogleg Trapper, and even a Peanut. But never with a pattern number. It is a long line tang stamp Camillus, It is 3 inches long closed, with Nu-Pearl or Imitation Pearl Handles. No shield, has a Clip master blade and Pen Secondary blade. Both blades have half stops. As the frame goes,it does look similar to a Case Peanut as the bolster on the blade pin side does seem to have a mild up sweep, and the rear or blade tip end does have an arch turning down to the rear bolster. Mine does not have a pattern number stamped on any blade. As I have said, I see them pop up on the Bay from time to time, and have never seen a pattern number. Any Ideas.
Cam LL 3in trapper.png
Cam LL 3in trapper_b.png
Cam LL 3in trapper_c.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: *HELP* Need Info From The Camillus Gurus

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well I'm no guru by a long shot but to me it looks like a Camillus #15 from the mid 50's.

Cut came out of the 1955 catalog.
Attachments
Camillus 15jpg.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:47 pm Well I'm no guru by a long shot but to me it looks like a Camillus #15 from the mid 50's.

Cut came out of the 1955 catalog.
I've seen that one, but the catalogs said it was 3-3/16" closed, and the frame looks like it is more serpentine with a up sweep at the rear with equal size bolsters. ::shrug:: Actually with a set of digital calipers, mine measures 2.961" or 2-31/32"

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:18 pm O.K.....
Smitty, whatever it's called, whatever the pattern # is (if there is one), it's
a BEAUTIFUL l👀king pocket knife. But of course it is, it's a CAMILLUS. ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Looking at the axle pin, I get the impression that this knife was disassembled not at the factory. And I am not sure that it was assembled according to the factory configuration :roll: . IMHO
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Vit_213 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:17 pm Looking at the axle pin, I get the impression that this knife was disassembled not at the factory. And I am not sure that it was assembled according to the factory configuration :roll: . IMHO
I don't know the background. So are you thinking they were fabricated from another knife??

Like I said, I've seen others some in better shape than mine and some worse. All seemed to be the same configuration with the same handle material. So far, none have had a pattern number on them. Could they be an end of run knife near the closing of Camillus? I was just wondering if it did have a pattern number.

Here is one in much better shape than mine that was posted on a different knife forum.
Myst Cam_c.jpg
Here are a couple that were posted on Ebay in the past, in a little worse shape.
myst cam_a.JPG
Myst Cam_b.JPG

Smitty
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Hmm... I'm puzzled and don't know the answer... ::shrug::
By the way, the knife from the bottom photo has a different main blade.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: Could the shrinking of the scales cause the pivot pin to recess into the bolsters? I have seen this on other manufactured knives, and not just celluloid.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”