A 66 for $20...buy or pass?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Dan In MI

A 66 for $20...buy or pass?

Post by Dan In MI »

I just came across this 66:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353562123623

It's awfully tempting, but I have a few questions about it. I can't see any evidence of a pin near the head bolster; should there have been one? Upon enlarging the photos, the covers seem to be made of wood (based on the wear); am I correct? And finally, is it a steal, a reasonable value, or a ripoff at $20?
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: A 66 for $20...buy or pass?

Post by Colonel26 »

Dan, it would make a good ol HOK to tote I’m sure. As to the pin, I don’t know. Could be the angle of the pic, could me missing.

For me, I’d say that’s about as high as I would go, but then again that’s not a pattern I pursue. But I can just about guarantee that it’ll have awful good steel in those blades!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's a short line so here's a catalog cut showing the original 66. No doubt it's been rehandled. As far as value? Cuz is on the money. If you're looking for a steal and deal investment, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a carry knife, it would probably be a good'un. Value is what ever you're willing to spend. Is $20 a steal & deal? Not in my opinion but then it's not a "rip-off" either. JMHO
Attachments
Camillus 66.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Someone scratched 'er up, hope it was you, Dan. ::tu::

Very decent blades on that EDC. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Save your money. There are better places to put it.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:07 pm Someone scratched 'er up, hope it was you, Dan.
It wasn't.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:41 am And finally, is it a steal, a reasonable value, or a ripoff at $20?
I know it's "after-the-fact", but for $20 I would have bought it. I would have sent it to one of our knife mechanics here and had him take it apart, clean it up, then add some good, solid handles to it. Then I would have a really well made pocket knife that not only would last for years, but it would be one of a kind as well.

I did that with a straight XX I bought from Steve. It was an 18 pattern, clean, with those Yellow Delrin (type) handles. It had some paint on the back handle that just wouldn't come off so I bought some really nice Orange-ish Giraffe Bone material and sent it to Kaleb.

I now have a beautiful Case XX 18 that is one of a kind, albeit not original.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”