Camillus Stag

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus Stag

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:29 pm edge, i think you are 'over-reading' the knife. I have old knives with bone handles that have minor gaps at the bolsters. These are production knives, not custom made. They were not all made exactly perfect in all areas. If there is blade corrosion it could be from other knives it 'hung around' with.
Mike it would be nice to see a picture of your stag Camillus.
kj
I disagree. No way these are the original handles.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

herbva wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:28 pm Roland, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I have rehandled many knives damaged by outgassing celluloid, and that telltale pitting on the top half of the clip shown in the picture of the pile side is a classic sign of celluloid outgassing I have seen way too many times. (The bottom half of the blade is protected from the corrosive effect of the gas released by the deteriorating celluloid because is sits down in the blade well.) So, I too think the knife was very likely rehandled. ::teary_eyes::
Herb, i know exactly what you are saying. I have had knives with bone handles in a drawer with knives with cell handles (all Fight'n Rooster knives) and one of the celluloids off gassed and seriously corroded the exposed part of the blades of the bone handled knife that was sitting about 4-5 inches away.
Seeing the exposed part of blades on this Camillus Peanut corroded by cell off gassing does not necessarily mean it had cell handles I have owned this knife for at least 10 years and i used to have a few hundred cell handled knives, mostly Fight'n Rooster and Buck Creek and many off gassed badly. The cell on these 2 brands is likely the most unstable celluloid ever used. Others have posted similar comments. It is possible the corrosion of this Peanut's blades happened here on my 'watch'. I had too many knives to take care of them properly. I no longer have any Buck Creek or any cell F'nR's.
kj
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Roland, I agree with your point. One knife with celluloid scales going bad in a closed storage space can and will damage other knives. It seems like a lot of the bad celluloid knives I have worked on were German made and also some fairly recent knives. I don't understand why reputable manufacturers are still using that stuff.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”