Camillus Split Spring Whittler Pocket Knife

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Camillus Split Spring Whittler Pocket Knife

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I don't imagine that there are many of these particular Camillus whittler knives floating around, so I'll start with mine. I made a "best offer" tonight and purchased this pocket knife. It's a Camillus (pre pattern "72"), split spring, whittler pocket knife. All 3 blades have the 4 line tang stamp. When it arrives, I'll give it the once over. I'll take and post some pictures. Here it is.
If you have a CAMILLUS, split spring whittler, please post it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (11.73 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus Split Spring Whittler Pocket Knife

Post by doglegg »

My only contribution is this one I recently picked up.
DSCN6180.JPG
DSCN6177.JPG
DSCN6181.JPG
DSCN6182.JPG
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 am I don't imagine that there are many of these particular Camillus whittler knives floating around, so I'll start with mine. I made a "best offer" tonight and purchased this pocket knife. It's a Camillus (pre pattern "72"), split spring, whittler pocket knife. All 3 blades have the 4 line tang stamp. When it arrives, I'll give it the once over. I'll take and post some pictures. Here it is.
If you have a Camillus, split spring whittler, please post it.
...LOVE IT!!!!...I have 1 like it and 3 of the "72" pattern split-spring whittlers, the are way and beyond my favorite knives!!!..... ::groove:: ::ds:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :D :D .............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...i wish I could post photo's!!...this computer is the reason I'm retired!!!....... ::td:: ::td:: ::td:: ............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...after all these years of collecting CAMILLUS whittlers,the split-spring whittlers are my favorites , but I also like the smaller 3 1/4" sleeveboard pattern whittlers!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....after looking closer at the photo of the bottom of the knife, it looks like yours is a dual spring with spacer. all of mine are like this one, I'm still looking for a true "split-spring"!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Here my one and only.It has milled liners.

Grant
Attachments
P1030867.JPG
P1030868.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..VIT, I have one identical to yours!!...yours is the only other one I have ever seen!!!.... ::tu:: ........I also have a "72" pattern with the same bone and shield and worked liners!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Skip, it’s hard to tell from the pics, but is yours a swell center like dogleg’s? I could definitely call it a pre72 if it is a swell center. For me that’s what sets the 72 apart from all other three balde knives it’s size.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..I think skip's is an equal-end???......... ::shrug:: ...........
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

carrmillus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm ....after looking closer at the photo of the bottom of the knife, it looks like yours is a dual spring with spacer. all of mine are like this one, I'm still looking for a true "split-spring"!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
You're right Tommy, it is not a true split spring. I wonder if there ever was a true split spring 72? But being a retired city worker the phrase come to mind 'It's close enough for government work'. ::nod::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Shearer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm Here my one and only.It has milled liners.

Grant
Wow Grant, what a treasure! Beautiful bone and milled liners. Just wow! ::nod:: ::tu::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 pm
carrmillus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm ....after looking closer at the photo of the bottom of the knife, it looks like yours is a dual spring with spacer. all of mine are like this one, I'm still looking for a true "split-spring"!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
You're right Tommy, it is not a true split spring. I wonder if there ever was a true split spring 72? But being a retired city worker the phrase come to mind 'It's close enough for government work'. ::nod::
..I remember seeing one on AAPK somewhere, but I can't remember what forum it was on???... ::facepalm:: ......as my granddad used to say "they're scarcer than hen's teeth"!!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Skip, that’s a great find. All,I have to say is, it’s a good thing (for you) I didn’t see it first. :lol:

(I’m going to refrain from any snarky remarks about Camillus “whittlers”.) ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:42 pm
Shearer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm Here my one and only.It has milled liners.

Grant
Wow Grant, what a treasure! Beautiful bone and milled liners. Just wow! ::nod:: ::tu::
Sorry it's not my one and only I have this MOP one that's over 100 years old.It has a couple of problem a crack in pearl on one side and no snap one of the small blades.I keep it in a special place.

Grant
Attachments
P1030871.JPG
P1030872.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Shearer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:59 pm
doglegg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:42 pm

Grant
Sorry it's not my one and only I have this MOP one that's over 100 years old.It has a couple of problem a crack in pearl on one side and no snap one of the small blades.I keep it in a special place.

Grant
Another Camillus whittler I had never seen before. An awesome knife. ::nod:: ::nod::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 am I don't imagine that there are many of these particular Camillus whittler knives floating around, so I'll start with mine. I made a "best offer" tonight and purchased this pocket knife. It's a Camillus (pre pattern "72"), split spring, whittler pocket knife. All 3 blades have the 4 line tang stamp. When it arrives, I'll give it the once over. I'll take and post some pictures. Here it is.
If you have a CAMILLUS, split spring whittler, please post it.
Thank you ALL for the compliment(s) and comments. There are too many comments to address individually. When I receive the knife, I'll clean it if and where necessary. Then, I'll take some pictures of it and post them. I normally would've said that the pictures that I originally posted were the "seller's" pictures, but that seems to freak some people out.

Skip
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

4 Line Camillus / Milled Nickel Silver Liners 3 5/16 Closed ~Tip Bolster Stag 3 Blade Whittler … K.C.
Attachments
IMG_0686 (2).JPG
IMG_0685 (2).JPG
IMG_0684 (2).JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

KleenCut61 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 am 4 Line Camillus / Milled Nickel Silver Liners 3 5/16 Closed ~Tip Bolster Stag 3 Blade Whittler … K.C.
VERY good looking piece of cutlery. Thanks for posting it. ::tu::

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

KleenCut61 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 am 4 Line Camillus / Milled Nickel Silver Liners 3 5/16 Closed ~Tip Bolster Stag 3 Blade Whittler … K.C.
What a sweet little knife. Bones and milled liners plus nickel silver, Wow! ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......another pattern I've never seen before!!!....... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ....................
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

carrmillus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:34 pm
If you have a Camillus, split spring whittler, please post it.
...LOVE IT!!!!...I have 1 like it and 3 of the "72" pattern split-spring whittlers, the are way and beyond my favorite knives!!!..... ::groove:: ::ds:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :D :D .............
Tommy, you might be interested in knowing that this knife is coming from a gentleman in Oxford, Mississippi. Here is an email he sent me. It's been edited down for the pertinent information only.

"Skip,
Thanks for recognizing a fine and rare knife. You will enjoy being its new owner.
I bought this knife from Lynn Hester of Tupelo MS. No idea where he got it; Lynn is known as the "knife man" in his town.
I enclosed a note of thanks in the box with the knife. The box will be shipped tomorrow, so you should receive it very soon.
Thanks again."

Small world isn't it Tommy.

Skip
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...thanks for the info, i'll be sure to look for him at the next knife show here(march, I think), I may have run into him before and just didn't know his name................ ::tu:: ..........
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This Camillus, split spring, whittler pocket knife arrived today. All blades have the 4 line tang stamp. It measures 3 5/16 inches closed. It does NOT have a swelled center. All 3 blades have great snap. ALL 3 blades have no wobble. The main blade has no half stop. The other two blades have half stop. I gave it a very mild once over, took some pictures and here it is. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg