Camillus 82 questions

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
semroc

Camillus 82 questions

Post by semroc »

Hello all. My wife bought this knife for me. Haven't been able to find out much about it. It says camillus, New York , USA. With a long line under camillus. Coin edge liners, three inches long. Anyone else have one? Is it possibly a craftsman? Football like shield, with no name. I think the handles are delrin. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
0104201455h.jpg
0104201455c.jpg
0104201455a.jpg
It's important not to think too much about what you do. Lee Marvin
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Camillus 82 questions

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

semroc wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:46 pm Hello all. My wife bought this knife for me. Haven't been able to find out much about it. It says camillus, New York , USA. With a long line under camillus. Coin edge liners, three inches long. Anyone else have one? Is it possibly a craftsman? Football like shield, with no name. I think the handles are delrin. Thanks in advance.
Hi. First, I am by no means an expert or even knowledgeable on any aspect of cutlery. I collect Camillus, but I don't have that pattern. To me, that knife just doesn't look correct. It "could be" Schrade using Camillus parts? Maybe Camillus using some Schrade parts? Is there handle missing around the shield? I am posting the two possible tang stamps your knife has, to determine a time span and the shields that Camillus used (not ALL the shields). I'm sure someone will be along at some point and answer your questions.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
semroc

Post by semroc »

Thank you Skip. Yes it is missing handle bits around the shield. Like there was a smaller shield in there before this one. And its not sitting in there very well. It was very inexpensive, don't know why the shield would be changed. Looks like it could've been that badge style shield originally. Strange.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

A rare knife (1954-1965)
Attachments
1959-Camillus_5.jpg
semroc

Post by semroc »

Oh cool. Thank you Vit. Is Brownstag actual stag? It is a sturdy, well made knife.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Braunstag is a predelrin

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”