CCC 6 information needed

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Robbie K

CCC 6 information needed

Post by Robbie K »

I am new to this forum, and have commenced to collect Ccc series (1 thru 7). Can someone please give me details of CCC 6, eg: size open and shut, type of blade (s) , calibre of insert, etc etc. Also, I am confused re:CCC's 4 & 5... some sites show 4 as 30-06 , and 5 as 257 Roberts. Others show these transposed.. can anyone clear my befuddled mind, please?
TPK

Re: CCC 6 information needed

Post by TPK »

Hello Robbie,

First off, Welcome to the AAPK. ::handshake:: I can't answer that one but I'm sure someone will. Lots of Football games today so you might have to wait a few till someone comes by. ::tu:: :D

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Robbie K wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:08 pm I am new to this forum, and have commenced to collect Ccc series (1 thru 7). Can someone please give me details of CCC 6, eg: size open and shut, type of blade (s) , calibre of insert, etc etc. Also, I am confused re:CCC's 4 & 5... some sites show 4 as 30-06 , and 5 as 257 Roberts. Others show these transposed.. can anyone clear my befuddled mind, please?
I don't know if this is the information that you're looking for, but maybe it is. ::shrug::
From the 1996 catalog. Click on the image to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Robbie K

Post by Robbie K »

Thank you for your input. Apparently, there are several of these series. The one I am collecting consists of 45/70 Gov, 30/30 Win, 7mm Mauser, , 257 Roberts, 45 Colt, 270 Win, and one other, a total of 7 knives.
Robbie K

Post by Robbie K »

TPK wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:26 pm Hello Robbie,

First off, Welcome to the AAPK. ::handshake:: I can't answer that one but I'm sure someone will. Lots of Football games today so you might have to wait a few till someone comes by. ::tu:: :D

Tom
Thanks for the welcome, tpk. Know what it is like... we are in the middle of Test cricket vs New Zealand, plus day/ night cricket at the moment, with Australian Open tennis in January.
Robbie
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Robbie K wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:17 am Thank you for your input. Apparently, there are several of these series. The one I am collecting consists of 45/70 Gov, 30/30 Win, 7mm Mauser, , 257 Roberts, 45 Colt, 270 Win, and one other, a total of 7 knives.
Here is a link to the "available" Camillus catalogs. You should be able to find your answer(s) in one of them.
http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Ca ... talogs.htm

Here is another very good link for Camillus information.
http://camillusknives.ru/
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

There were multiple .30-06 CCC knives one of which is a CCC-6 and multiple CCC-4 knives one of which is a .30-06 CCC-4 so it's not surprising that picking partial bits of information out of different threads leads to confusion.

In the jigged bone series of seven CCC knives that you are collecting CCC-4 is what I call a banana jack knife. They're about 5 3/8" closed. In both Case and Camillus lines the handle is best known for the version with long spey and clip blades, the banana trappers. The CCC-4 in this series has the same long clip blade but with a pen secondary blade. If it were up to me I'd define a jack knife as a folder with one long and one secondary blade both pivoting on the same end, hence banana jack knife. This CCC-4 is the .257 Roberts. Its shield looks like a real .257 Roberts case head and it has a diagram of the .257 Roberts cartridge etched on the blade. In this series CCC-6 is the .44 Magnum, a reproduction of the Remington R1303. It is 4 1/2" long closed. Essentially it is a single blade lock back version of a Jumbo Trapper. It is the cartridge that you could not remember when you listed 6 of the 7 cartridges in the series above. You also asked what #5 is. It's the CCC .45 Colt, essentially a 2 blade Jumbo Trapper but reduced in size.

CCC .30-06 knives include 5" lock backs with one and two blades, a 5 blade scout/utility knife and maybe others. Unlike the CCC series you are collecting these knives have neither the jigged bone sides nor the diagrams of the cartridges etched on the blade. They have Delrin or laminated wood sides. The CCC-4 .30-06 is an approximately 3 5/8" five blade scout/utility knife. It has a shield that looks like a real .30-06 cartridge head that includes CCC in the head stamp inletted into Delrin sides that are colored and textured to look some what like the jigged bone used on the CCC series that you are collecting. The number 4 comes from the very similar Camillus made Remington R-4. Other than brand names and shields the R-4 has only two differences. The R-4's sheep's foot blade is not serrated and the R-4 has a can opener instead of the CCC-4 .30-06's #1 Philip's head.

There is also a .22 LR Rimfire CCC series that included seven knives numbered 1 through 7 that provides additional opportunities for confusion. They have Delrin sides, brass bolsters and brass shields shaped like .22 LR cartridges. While there is overlap, the rimfire series favors smaller patterns. The #4 is a Muskrat and the #6 is the medium size stockman that Camillus named #72 Whittler.
Robbie K

Post by Robbie K »

Great.... that has made things crystal clear. My grateful thanks. All I have to do now is find the $$$ to buy the five I need to complete the set, but the AUD is well down at present. Thanks again to all for your help.

Robbie K
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

beau5278

Post by beau5278 »

Here's a pic of mine https://flic.kr/p/4NEptT

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”