TL-29 Questions

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

TL-29 Questions

Post by treefarmer »

When was the last Camillus wooden handle with the TL-29 stamp made? Does having TL-29 on the handle make it a military issue? This one has a stamp that indicates it was made in the '60-'76 era, regular block letters with long line under CAMILLUS. Picture showing tang not too clear, was made to show etch on screwdriver blade. Actually the stamp is rather "light" compared to most of my Camillus knives.
024.JPG
032.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: TL-29 Questions

Post by carrmillus »

........you got me on this one, t.f.!!...too bad tj murphy is not still around!!....i'll bet he could answer this one!!....... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ......................
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

treefarmer wrote:When was the last Camillus wooden handle with the TL-29 stamp made? Does having TL-29 on the handle make it a military issue? This one has a stamp that indicates it was made in the '60-'76 era, regular block letters with long line under CAMILLUS. Picture showing tang not too clear, was made to show etch on screwdriver blade. Actually the stamp is rather "light" compared to most of my Camillus knives.024.JPG032.JPG
Treefarmer
According to my limited amount of catalog pages. Camillus still used Rosewood handles in 1957. In the 1959/1960 catalog pages, they used "brown phenolic plastic." Don't know about the military part of your question. ::shrug::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Good question, I just found this one today. Like posted above this one appears to be from the 60's-70's based on my limited knowledge, but I am not real sure of that. Snagged at a local thrift store for under $10.
Attachments
TL29a.jpg
TL29b.jpg
TL29c.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

2 treefarmer
In your knife, I see signs of two different time periods.
A wooden handle with a dyed TL-29 stamp speaks of the post-war period, but only until 1950-51, when, according to changes in the military specification, the tree was replaced with plastic.
The blade tang stamp indicates the period of the 60s - 70s.
Thus, it is the re-bladed TL-29 from 1945-51, or this is did using dead inventory ("Camillus never threw anything away") ::shrug::
All this is IMHO.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thank you, Vit_213 for your observation. ::handshake::
What you mentioned about "Camillus never threw anything away" might be the answer. The wooden handle with the TL-29 handle stamp and the 60-67 tang stamp caused me to ask the question. Another thing, when did Camillus move the location of the bail/shackle to the rear of the handle? The TL-29 Baykeeper posted with the plastic handles, the bail/shackle setting forward on the handle rather than on the rear pins. I have one Camillus with wooden handles that has the number 27 on the pile side of the blade, a short line stamp, 1946-1950. Very confusing to have so many small variations on the same pattern.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

treefarmer wrote:Another thing, when did Camillus move the location of the bail/shackle to the rear of the handle?
In the 80s

Part of my TL-29 collection (I have 2 more versions that are not in this photo) 8)
Attachments
tl29-5 (1).jpg
tl29-5 (2).jpg

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”