The Gapper

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
cody6268

The Gapper

Post by cody6268 »

I have never seen this knife before, and came across it on eBay. Called the Gapper, it was apparently built for NAPA Auto Parts, and has a secondary spark plug gapper tool blade and a deep wire stripping notch towards the choil of the partially serrated one-hand opening blade. I'd get it, but I am not paying $160 for it.

I'd like to know everything possible about this model, and would love to find one at a more reasonable price, no more than half and that's still a lot of money. Only other is with that charity fraud nitwit in Texas for $240 and that does not have the NAPA branding. Could probably explain why those two are the only ones available for sale--because no one wants to bother with those inflated prices.

Seller's photos aren't that good and makes it hard to make out. I also attached a few better ones from the "nit wit".

I did find some info based on the patent. It was assigned to a Michael K. Hulsey in 1992. His only other patent is for a "flex head line wrench" so I presume he was not a Camillus employee. And also note, his design is for a traditional folder with gapper and sheepsfoot blades; not a large OHO folder such as this.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/michael-k-hulsey

https://patents.google.com/patent/US510 ... =US5107560
Attachments
s-l1600 (1)CGK3.jpg
s-l1600 (1)CKG.jpg
s-l1600 (1)_CNK_TG6.jpg
s-l1600 (1)_CNK_TG2.jpg
s-l1600_CKN_TG5.jpg
s-l1600_CKN_TG4.jpg
s-l1600_CKN_TG3.jpg
s-l1600_CKN_TG2.jpg
s-l1600_CK_TG.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Gapper

Post by carrmillus »

.....I have never seen one of those before!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Same for me...but cool. ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think the price of that knife is a little overdone. The frame is a little different than the one I normally see the master blade in, I'm not sure the frame was made by Camillus but I know the gapper blade was made for Camillus. I believe it was made in Japan for Camillus but I'm not positive, my memory data retrieval system is not working as well as it used to. ::shrug:: I think I have one gapper blade somewhere that I got in a lot of blades I purchased. If I can find it I will check and see if it has a country of origin on it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

The mystery widens; and closes a bit at the same time.

Well, I found this CRKT for under $20; purely by accident. Doing research on the Camillus brought me to an eBay page for "Champion Spark Plug Knife"; and it showed up. It was the last one left of 15. It has a nearly identical gapper blade on it; however the nail nick is on the opposite side. I'm guessing it was produced at around the same time as the Camillus version. And I bought this one; as I could afford that.

It mentions "this unique tool was patented by a professional..." on the paper. So did Mr. Hulsey sell the individual tool component to various manufacturers? Did he shop his patent around; and both CRKT and Camillus agreed to produce it (from the looks of things, the CRKT was a much cheaper knife)? I'll try to get a scan up of the paper with that information on that that comes with this knife.
s-l1600 (1)_CCRKT_SPGK1.jpg
s-l1600 (1)_CCRKTSPGK2.jpg
s-l1600 (1)CCRKT_CGK_3.jpg
s-l1600 (1)CCRKT_CGK_4.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I thought that hundred and $160 price tag was really steep for that knife, and the price from that guy in Texas is ridiculous (as are most of his prices)!
A nice pickup for $15 and really practical, especially if a person works on a lot of small engines or old cars. ::nod::
The newer cars don't eat up the spark plugs nearly as bad.

CRKT does produce a lot of good practical knives, often in small quantities that larger companies really could not produce at a profit. I have purchased several of their knives that were made in Taiwan and I have used them hard. They are quality products that will hold up under hard use. I would say their quality meets or exceeds most standard production grade knives made anywhere in the world. I am less impressed with their products made in mainland China. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've used the CRKT now a couple of times--and I quite like it. Except the blade. The spring tension coupled with a tiny thumb stud doesn't really cut it.

As a random eBay ad/suggestion, I have found yet another take on this design! Dale, is this the Japanese-made blade you were talking about? I see that it is setup similar to the Camillus.

Kershaw apparently also produced a version with this special blade for Snap-On Tools with the model number YAFB27.. Assembly is like the early DWO (and somewhat like the CRKT). Spanner pivot, rubber handle with the older "Snap-On" logo. However, Mr. Hulsey's patent is not marked anywhere on the tool. Also to note--markings on the spark plug gapping tool are stamped, not etched like the CRKT or Camillus.

Not my knife, not my auction, and to me kinda expensive: https://www.ebay.com/i/184482067528
s-l1600KGT1.jpg
s-l1600KGT2.jpg
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

I like the fancy blade design :D

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”