Is this a #44?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
SElliott

Is this a #44?

Post by SElliott »

Tang showing the 60-late 70s stamp..no shield..catalog from early 70s showing a black SS #44 that is similar..this one is pearl, or nu-pearl or whatever name they came up with.. ::groove::
Attachments
20180927_111619.jpg
20180927_111650.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this a #44?

Post by jerryd6818 »

If it's 3-1/8" closed, because of the tip bolsters, I would lean towards the #42 or #572. Actually (and I'm just guessing here) if it doesn't have a pattern number stamped on one of the blades (most commonly the master blade) and because of the later tang stamp, my guess would be the #572. As you can see from the catalog cuts, the handles are 'Nu Pearl' (Celluloid).

The #44 was shown in the 1949 catalog with genuine pearl handles but it had full bolsters, not tip bolsters. I don't see it in any catalogs after that so it had to be discontinued around 1950. Besides, it was way too early to have had that tang stamp.
Attachments
Camillus 42 ('54 catalog).jpg
Camillus 572 ('57 catalog).jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I agree with Jerry. I've got a couple of #42 and both have the number stamped on the tang. I think the 3 digit Camillus models are more likely to be lacking a stamped number.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not sure of the pattern but since it appears to be a sleeve board and not an equal end I would rule out the knives in the catalog cuts. I think this knife may pre-date the catalogs shown.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

btrwtr wrote:Not sure of the pattern but since it appears to be a sleeve board and not an equal end I would rule out the knives in the catalog cuts. I think this knife may pre-date the catalogs shown.
Now you've stirred up a hornets nest Wayne. I never even noticed that it's a sleeve board pattern. The monkey wrench in your opinion is the tang stamp (commonly) accepted as 1960-1976. I'm of the opinion that it was used for a short time before those dates and a short time after those dates.

It's not a Senator. Now what?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

I think this is a regular #42 knife, and the sleeve board is an optical illusion.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm going with what Vit said.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

I agree - not a sleeveboard, just photo perspective.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
SElliott

Post by SElliott »

Vit_213 wrote:I think this is a regular #42 knife, and the sleeve board is an optical illusion.
This is definitely a sleeveboard..Which is what is confusing me on the pattern, at least as far as what I can locate in online catalogs..there are no remnants of a pattern number on neither blade. ::shrug:: ::shrug::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Is that pin on the master nickel silver and the others brass? Could be a Camillus blade on an unknown frame.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

The #44 sleeveboard appears in the 1972 catalog and is shown in every catalog and price list after that until it disappears in 1980. However, in every catalog in the 1970s where it is shown, it is shown as having black handles. The 1972 catalog says "features gleaming solid black handles". Later, the text was changed to "gleaming delrin handles".

Could the #44 sleeveboard have been re-introduced in cracked ice sometime between the 1965 & 1972 catalogs? It's a shame there aren't any Camillus catalogs online for that period.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

SElliott wrote: This is definitely a sleeveboard..Which is what is confusing me on the pattern, at least as far as what I can locate in online catalogs..there are no remnants of a pattern number on neither blade. ::shrug:: ::shrug::
What is the closed length?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

SElliott wrote:this one is pearl, or nu-pearl or whatever name they came up with.. ::groove::
Regardless of maker, I've heard that called "Mother of toilet seat". :lol: ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”