New Owners of Camillus

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
CAMCO

New Owners of Camillus

Post by CAMCO »

I was at the cutlery the other day and I met Walter Johnsen and Gib Katten from Acme United Corp. They bought all the Camillus trademarks including Camillus, Western, American Wildlife, SWORD BRAND, SILVER SWORD, CUDA, etc.
We had a long conversation and they informed me that they planned on making high quality knives in the U.S.A. Initially they will open an office in Camillus and they are contacting former Camillus employees. Glad to hear that these brands will still be made in America and some employees may be rehired. I wish these gentleman the best and I will help them in any way that I can.

Tom Williams
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Camco; That is Wonderful News! ::tu:: Another American Cutlery Company Reborn. ::tu::
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Tom,
Your namesake, CAMCO, seems to have been hijacked by a firm having such marked knives made in China. Did the new outfit buy the CAMCO name as well?

Phil
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great news Tom!
It is nice to know that some of the old names won't be going to China, and that the jobs will be staying here in the USA! I hope they can hire all the former Camillus employees that need jobs.

Glad to here that you got some of the memorabilia from Camillus.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

MITCH RAPP wrote:8) Camco; That is Wonderful News! ::tu:: Another American Cutlery Company Reborn. ::tu::
::tu:: ::tu:: I hope the employees are paid resonably well and that they keep in mind that they will make or break the new company. No strikes, otherwise they would have to go overseas to get knives made. I'd say this is one place a union needs to just leave alone.

BEST WISHES and I will be buying. ::tu:: ::tu::

Nobody tel my wife :mrgreen:
Hukk
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hukk wrote:BEST WISHES and I will be buying. ::tu:: ::tu::

Nobody tel my wife :mrgreen:
That goes double for me!! :mrgreen: ::dang::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

useem

Post by useem »

Gr8scout, Am I the only one that saw your post? Have these CAMCO marked china knives been around before the auction, or did they just pop up?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have a Camco assisted opener that was made in China (I found out when it arrived). It was purchased before Camillus closed. I think they were experimenting with having knives made in China.
At one point the management of Camillus had said they intended to import a lot of knives, IIRC.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Seems like the biggest seller of the New Camco knives, from the new company called 'Camillus Blades', is a web place called 'Chestnut Ridge KNife Shop'. The owner sometimes visits the Camillus Forum at BFC, usually trying to hawk his products. Here is one of his ebay listings. It was like pulling teeth, but I got him to finally admit his wares are made in China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMILLUS-CAMCO-WORK ... dZViewItem

Let's not dirty up Tom's thread here about China vs USA and all of that. It was not my intention to start such a thing here.

Phil

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”